Feet problems :(

Options
Hi, I've just started getting back into regular exercise with Billy Banks Bootcamp Tae Bo, Zumba, and slowly building my way to running.
I've been having issues with my feet, to the point of them hurting so much due to the impact of jumping on them. I've brought new trainers, as I thought my old ones were too tight.
Does anyone have any advice? I do have what they say "flat feet", and I really don't want this to stop me from exercising.
I don't know if I have to but insoles, and which one. Mind I am on a budget.

Any help would be great.

Kind regards

Replies

• Dawnog
    Dawnog Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi, its really important you get yourself to a proper running shop, they will put you on a treadmill and match you to the correct shoes. I had trouble with my feet until I went to a running shop and I havnt suffered since. Good luck :smile:
  • raj_pharani
    Options
    Thank you that actually makes sense :)!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just started getting back into regular exercise with Billy Banks Bootcamp Tae Bo, Zumba, and slowly building my way to running.
    I've been having issues with my feet, to the point of them hurting so much due to the impact of jumping on them. I've brought new trainers, as I thought my old ones were too tight.
    Does anyone have any advice? I do have what they say "flat feet", and I really don't want this to stop me from exercising.
    I don't know if I have to but insoles, and which one. Mind I am on a budget.

Any help would be great.

Kind regards

I'm not familiar with half the exercise you listed, but if there is any lateral (side-to-side) movement or lots of turns and pivots then you need something like a cross-trainer or tennis shoe. For running you need a running shoe. You need the right footwear for the activity you're doing at the time.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you are doing all those exercises dvds indoors, i recommend you ditch the shoes and work out in your bare feet. your feet will naturally adjust to support you. a sneaker does not.

if you are running, wear a running sneaker. i'm partial to minimus style shoes, especially if you have flat feet. but do you really?? is that what a doctor told you, or is that self diagnosed?
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Agree with the minimal running shoes. Also, walk around barefoot when you can, at home, etc. The muscles in your feet have to adapt as well.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    if you are doing all those exercises dvds indoors, i recommend you ditch the shoes and work out in your bare feet. your feet will naturally adjust to support you. a sneaker does not.

if you are running, wear a running sneaker. i'm partial to minimus style shoes, especially if you have flat feet. but do you really?? is that what a doctor told you, or is that self diagnosed?

^^This.

If it's been a particularly long time since you've done steady, intense exercise, it could be that the muscles in your feet are weak, and need to be built up. Working out barefoot, and taking care of them will build up the support muscles. Once the constant soreness decreases, and once you're ready to move to running, get fitted properly. I'm also a fan of minimus style shoes.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Start by having your feet assessed. don't know your age but if you have flat feet and you pronate you're a candidate for medical orthotics prescribed by a podiatrist. Be sure to have your leg length checked and if one leg is shorter than the other the orthotic can be adjusted to accomodate that. few of us are perfectly symmetrical.

I would also assess your gait. you might visit http://www.newtonrunning.com/running-form/running-better and watch the training videos on gait and how to run better. if you have flat feet, pronate and are a heel striker (too many of us start this way) then you need to get a shoe which will retrain your gait. I find newton's ideal for this.

as you might guess, I have the same duck feet you describe and had foot pain for years until I unraveled all this stuff the hard way and now I'm running without pain. but i wear orthotics faithfully and retrained my gait completely.

hang in there.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem (pronate in so badly that my feet flatten out). I went to a running to to get properly fit for shoes & then added the Powerstep insoles (these are better than standard over the counter insoles as they have a higher & strong arch support than pharmacy brands). You can also get them online (Amazon has a small stock of them at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00133770Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but you can find other places to order them as well). When I did all of this the major pain that I was feeling in jumping & running since I was 12 has subsided. Best of luck to you.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    P.S. I disagree with the "no shoes" idea. Though this might be good for some times, if you have severe issues with flat feed you need proper strength to build up when they are supported correctly.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Running: Get fitted and a proper running shoe. Pricing will vary by brand/model. DO NOT barefoot (Five Fingers) run unless you work up to it... you will kill your feet, ankles and knees.

Weight/Power Lifting: Get Oly Lifters, Reebok makes a great U-form Oly trainer that you heat up in the oven and form the insoles to the shape of your foot. Reeboks are like $149. Lifters raise your heel above your toes to engage your calves for more stable lifting. The Reebok Lifters can also be worn during CrossFit WODs if the WOD combines lifting with non-running exercises.

CrossFit/Cross-Training: The best are either Innov8's, Reebok Nano 2's (3's due out July 1), or NB Minimus models. All are $100-$120 depending on brand/model. The Reebok Nano 2's also come in U-form for a custom fit. A lot of people in my Box use Vibram Five Fingers if the WOD doesn't call for a lot of running, but the favorite shoes of choice is the Nano 2. The CrossFit shoes have completely flat souls and a wide base and toe-box for natural foot/toe spread with no ankle turns.

Bottom line is, do not skimp on your footwear! Your entire body rests on your feet and ankles. If they aren't protected/fitted with a quality pair of shoes you will feel it after every single workout. You can skimp on shorts/socks/t-shirts, etc... but NEVER your shoes.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    P.S. I disagree with the "no shoes" idea. Though this might be good for some times, if you have severe issues with flat feed you need proper strength to build up when they are supported correctly.

how can you build the strength in your feet when it is surrounded in a cast that is modern day footwear?
  • pugsforall
    Options
    Besides good shoes, be sure to ease into it. I overtrained (running) and dealt with a bad case of plantar fasciitis in both feet for over two years. (Like you, I also have very flat feet.) Even today--5 years later--I can only run a few miles on the treadmill before the pain returns. Try other non-impact exercises, such as spinning.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Look into exercises for your feet specifically. Just google for specifics. I could you show you there is one I do where you lift your heel, then onto your tip toes (and hold a bit at each spot) and then back to flat. It feels good.

I also second (third) the suggestions about doing some things barefoot, at least at home, but you will probably want to consult a doc if you have serious issues.
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options

how can you build the strength in your feet when it is surrounded in a cast that is modern day footwear?

Agree and disagree. I have bad feet - life-long flat and developing a bunion - and bare feet are ideal if you are uneven surfaces. Yes, we were made to be barefoot but we were also made to be wandering around dirt patches and grassy hills. With flat feet, you need the support otherwise all your foot will do is adapt to the ground it's always walking on. These people with toe shoes running around downtown sidewalks are going to get quite a reality check in 10 years.
    A nice middle ground for me are some cushy slippers.

Also, it might be worth seeing a podiatrist. I recently did and learned quite a lot and looking into custom orthotics. Your feet are too important to let down!
  • BradD13
    BradD13 Posts: 10
    Options
    Well, have you ever had an ankle sprain before? If not then that's probably what it is and the pain's just radiating.

And if you're pretty sure that's not what it is, than I would feel the area surrounding where it hurts most and if it feels like there's fluid there, then you could have fractured a metatarsal, but if it's not too incredibly bad, there's really not much doctors can do for you unless, like I said, it's you have multiple fractures on the same bone.

It could even be a strain on any of the smaller ligaments or extensor tendons in your foot. If it becomes too painful, see a doctor, but I wouldn't be immediately concerned if flexing isn't overly excruciating. I personally use WalkFit to take care of my foot pain. It’s really simple to apply and use and the pain usually goes away after an hour of using it.

But if it's just nerve pain and you haven't actually damaged anything, I'd give WalkFit a try. It's probably one of the only insoles that helped relieve my foot pain when all the other over the counter stuff didn't quite cut it for me. There's an in-depth review of it here: http://reviews.3dsvita.com/walk-fit-platinum-review-is-this-a-scam/