Help! Foot pain!

Options
Lately, my right foot starts seizing up in painful agony if I walk for more than a few blocks. It is completely fine with short distances except that I feel some tightness in the peroneus longus (see image). It is worse with certain shoes or barefoot, but even with my usual supportive shoes with superfeet insert, the pain is now limiting my mobility. I know I need to set up an appointment with the doctor, but would appreciate any ideas in the long term. The pain is worst at the top of the foot near the pinkie toe, but also shoots over the arch of my foot. I have had some plantar facitus in the past, but I have no pain in my heel right now.

peroneus_longus.jpg

Replies

• smom21g
    smom21g Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Could it be the type of shoe you are wearing? I recommend on visiting your local run and walk store and they can help fit you in a perfect shoe. I suggest you take the shoes you are currently wearing and they can provide more insight. Maybe you wouldn't have to buy new shoes and just inserts. Good luck.
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Could it be the type of shoe you are wearing? I recommend on visiting your local run and walk store and they can help fit you in a perfect shoe. I suggest you take the shoes you are currently wearing and they can provide more insight. Maybe you wouldn't have to buy new shoes and just inserts. Good luck.

I agree! I battled with foot pain for the first 6 months of running. When I got into the correct shoe (and padded socks) it made all the difference.
  • imsugaroholic
    Options
    buy good footwear. i had the same issue and i was told to replace the shoes and get comfortable running shoes. that and a little icing may help.
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hmm, sounds a bit like what I had some weeks back. Mine was primarily inflammation in the long flexor. My podi basically put me on prednisone and told me to stay off of it for 6 weeks. It knocked out the issue in the big toe area, but I still get that same pain on the other side (pinkie and 4th toe). Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what sort of shoes I'm wearing - if I walk at a pace faster than a gentle stroll, it happens.You may need to stay off of it all together until you can get to the podi.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    feet are so beyond web advice, I thought I had a running injury a few months back.... it was actually a hardly visibly infected spider bite that was internally swollen and manipulating small bones in my feet...... I would have never of thought I needed antibiotics lol.

Go see a podiatrist one that specializes from the knee down, as some of them specialize in only the ankle down.
  • BradD13
    BradD13 Posts: 10
    Options
    Well, have you ever had an ankle sprain before? If not then that's probably what it is and the pain's just radiating.

And if you're pretty sure that's not what it is, than I would feel the area surrounding where it hurts most and if it feels like there's fluid there, then you could have fractured a metatarsal, but if it's not too incredibly bad, there's really not much doctors can do for you unless, like I said, it's you have multiple fractures on the same bone.

It could even be a strain on any of the smaller ligaments or extensor tendons in your foot. If it becomes too painful, see a doctor, but I wouldn't be immediately concerned if flexing isn't overly excruciating. I personally use WalkFit to take care of my foot pain. It’s really simple to apply and use and the pain usually goes away after an hour of using it.

But if it's just nerve pain and you haven't actually damaged anything, I'd give WalkFit a try. It's probably one of the only insoles that helped relieve my foot pain when all the other over the counter stuff didn't quite cut it for me. There's an in-depth review of it here: http://reviews.3dsvita.com/walk-fit-platinum-review-is-this-a-scam/

Hang in there!

ps: It also might just be a shoe problem, in which case, get a new pair!