Has anyone on here lost all their weight ...

Options
and NOT hit a plateau in the process? I weigh myself every two weeks, so I am not talking about when the scale doesn't move for 3 days... I am thinking ...when the scale doesn't move for 3 months.

Is it possible that it can be avoided all together??

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I never hit any kind of plateau in my weight loss.
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It does happen to most people. The thing to remember is that your body is very good at adapting to diet, and exercise. If you stall in your progress it is time for a change. Might need more calories, less calories, more intensity in exercise, or a different type of exercise, and most importantly you must have the right amount of sleep & recovery. Make a plan, execute, evaluate results, make changes, and repeat. It is a continuous process. Good luck
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight without any plateaus. I still want to do a bit of recomp, but my weight should stay pretty stable. Of course, the whole process of losing and reaching my goal weight only took 3 1/2 months, so there wasn't much time for a stall.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yep. Hit goal weight of 65kg in 7 months. Then continued to lose it till I hit 60kg. Then stopped totally. Seriously can't get past 60kg at all. I guess this is as low as I go, but I'm losing size
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I lost 50# a few years back without any plateaus. Then I got sick, gained back about 10 and Could. Not. Lose. It. I was lifting heavier & heavier, maintaining a solid diet, and staying as active as possible whilst recovering from surgeries. I found the one thing that jarred me out of a year+ plateau (omg that sucked) was running. That was just enough to push my system.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    and NOT hit a plateau in the process? I weigh myself every two weeks, so I am not talking about when the scale doesn't move for 3 days... I am thinking ...when the scale doesn't move for 3 months.

I lost 30 lbs, no plateau. So yes, it's possible. I just recommend not sticking with the low calorie diet. Those people seem to hit walls allot.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I haven't hit a plateau yet.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I never hit a real plateau, I quit losing when I quit trying but never actually hit a plateau, during that time I maintained but didn't lose. I was busy and let excuses get in the way, but when I got back to it I lost all the weight I needed to lose and at my goal. Now I fluctuate between 5 lbs.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I didn't hit a plateau. I lost weight the slow and steady way, through a sustainable deficit. I also decreased my deficit as I lost weight, because the more fat you have to lose, the bigger deficit you can get away with. I also exercised. I had weeks when I didn't lose that much weight, like less than a pound a week sometimes, but it was coming off slowly and steadily and didn't stop. Also, I've maintained my goal weight without difficulty.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I lost 30 lbs, no plateau. So yes, it's possible. I just recommend not sticking with the low calorie diet. Those people seem to hit walls allot.

I lost all my weight without ever reaching a plateau; my weight lost was slow but steady. I have been on maintenance for 2 and half years.

I didn't have much weight to lose in the first place so maybe that made a difference, I don't know. I was on a low calorie diet (definition of "low" to be determined), so the concept of hitting the wall doesn't apply to everybody.
  • ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Longest plateau was about 10-14 days. That's a plateau to me!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    There are tons and tons of people here who have lost all their weight. I am not there yet but I am on my way.

I was on a 6 week plateau eating less than 1200 cals a day and working out until I found MFP. From here I read the difference between dieting and starting a new lifestyle relationship with food.

Dieting to me is general suffering at very low calorie deficit and allowing for no snacks or junk food EVER.

Stating my new lifestyle relationship with food to me is about working out, eating better food choices, enjoying fast food and eating out as the opportunity comes up (just not as frequently as before) and not punishing myself when I go over my cals allotted for the day.

Before the changes, it took me more than a year to lose 22 lbs as i was yo-yoing. Since changing all of this, I have lost 11 lbs in a little less than 2 months. My hair has stopped falling out at the excessive rate it was.My nails have recovered and look nice again. I am not hangry about food or lack thereof. I feel better.

I am halfway to my goal and expect that I should have this in the bag by early 2014.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you don't lose weight or size (you are measuring yourself, right?) in 3 months, you're not in a plateau, you're maintaining.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I never hit a plateau. I don't know why, or how, I managed to avoid it, but I was at one point almost 140 pounds down (more than I wanted to lose) and never went more than a week without a loss.

I was religious about logging, though, and exercised regularly, and tried to eat a moderate, but not extreme, deficit all the time. I didn't binge, but I did eat foods I liked in moderation and found healthier alternatives for other high-calorie foods.

When it comes down to it, though, you can only control the stuff I just said above. You can't control hormones or health issues that may arise and interfere with the number on the scale. Just do your best and be consistent.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I never hit a plateau in my weight loss either. I took the same approach as the above poster, I ate a small deficit, was religious about logging, and never cut out any foods. I used a food scale for everything I ate at home.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My scale has stopped for almost two months. However, I lost size in different (odd) locations. Measure when in doubt.