NOT LOSING ANY WEIGHT! PLEAE HELP

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Please be wary of anyone who tells you that you need 2000 to 6000 mg of sodium daily. Most people need to keep their sodium under 2500 mg. If you sweat more than average, you will need more. But please consult a doctor before increasing your sodium intake. Too much sodium can cause health problems. But cutting back on sodium can cause weight loss.

I totally agree with you on this. It amazes me the people on here who advises not to worry about sodium, when the implications for too much sodium is complications later in life.

There is plenty of research supporting my position.

The fact is that a diet under 1500 mg of sodium a day is dangerous. It increases your chances of dying. Period. The only people who should be on a diet that low in sodium are ones who have high blood pressure. For those people it's a compromise - you increase your risk of dying a little bit by going so low-sodium, but it helps control your blood pressure, which decreases your risk of dying.

For people with no blood pressure issues, very low sodium diets are NOT a good idea, period. The current research indicates that otherwise-normal people really don't need to worry about sodium unless their levels are very high (7+ grams).
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Wow!

I cook all my meals myself and been eating the same way for some years now.... most days I don't even get to 1000mg in sodium... on the BAD days I get somewhere around 1500mg and can feel it in my body BIG TIME the next day.

Didn't realize I was in such a danger...

LOL.

There are lots of papers published on this topic. Look here, for instance:
    http://realsalt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/American-Journal-of-Med-Full-Article-Sodium-Intake-and-Mortality.pdf

"Those with dietary sodium <2300 mg had signifi-
    cantly higher age-sex adjusted mortality rates for CVD
    and all causes compared with >2300 mg"

"Adjusting for calories and all previously mentioned CVD
    risk factors, sodium intake <2300 mg was associated with
    37% greater risk of CVD mortality (P .03) and 28%
    increased risk of all-cause mortality"

"sodium <2300 mg
    was not significantly associated with better CVD mortality
    outcome in any subgroup"

"Reduced-sodium diet stimulates the
    renin angiotensin system, and elevated plasma renin activity has been associated with increased risk of myocardial infarction."
  • naku
    naku Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow!

I cook all my meals myself and been eating the same way for some years now.... most days I don't even get to 1000mg in sodium... on the BAD days I get somewhere around 1500mg and can feel it in my body BIG TIME the next day.

LOL.

http://realsalt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/American-Journal-of-Med-Full-Article-Sodium-Intake-and-Mortality.pdf

"sodium <2300 mg
    outcome in any subgroup"

renin angiotensin system, and elevated plasma renin activity has been associated with increased risk of myocardial infarction."

...Well lets pretend I would want to believe this and want to add sodium to my diet. As I am currently very well adjusted in my macros, calories and all that, what do you suggest? Teaspoon of salt before bed?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Wow!

LOL.

"sodium <2300 mg
    outcome in any subgroup"

...Well lets pretend I would want to believe this and want to add sodium to my diet. As I am currently very well adjusted in my macros, calories and all that, what do you suggest? Teaspoon of salt before bed?

I know nothing about your diet, but it must be incredibly tough to get enough protein and fat while maintaining less than 1500 mg per day of sodium. I have no idea what your goals are like.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    More:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/224123.php

The study in the May 4 edition of JAMA concludes that lower sodium is associated with higher mortality. "Taken together, our current findings refute the estimates of computer models of lives saved and health care costs reduced with lower salt intake. They do also not support the current recommendations of a generalized and indiscriminate reduction of salt intake at the population level," wrote the authors.

"A 2010 Harvard study linked low-salt diets to an increase in insulin resistance, the condition that is a precursor to Type 2 Diabetes. Recent studies out of Australia show that individuals with type I or type II diabetes die in much greater numbers when placed on a salt restricted diet."

"A 2007 study found that babies with low birth weight are also born with low sodium in their blood serum because their mothers were on low-salt intakes. Another study found that infants with low sodium may be predisposed to poor neurodevelopmental function between the ages of 10 and 13."
  • naku
    Options
    Wow!

LOL.

"sodium <2300 mg
    outcome in any subgroup"

I know nothing about your diet, but it must be incredibly tough to get enough protein and fat while maintaining less than 1500 mg per day of sodium. I have no idea what your goals are like.

Well looking at my diary, on one day last week my stats were:

1310 calories
    68g protein
    42g fat
    903mg sodium

And that's pretty much what most days look to me.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    That's a really low calorie intake. Pretty low protein intake, too.
  • naku
    Options

...Ahh. Alright then.
  • jonnythan
    Options

...Ahh. Alright then.

Well I don't know what you want me to tell you. At your weight and that calorie intake, you must be basically sedentary all the time. That's going to below your BMR unless you're over 50.

If you actually wanted any specific suggestions, open your diary so I can see what you're eating.
  • naku
    Options

...Ahh. Alright then.

Well I don't know what you want me to tell you. At your weight and that calorie intake, you must be basically sedentary all the time. That's going to below your BMR unless you're over 50.

If you actually wanted any specific suggestions, open your diary so I can see what you're eating.

So, you know how tall I am?
  • jonnythan
    Options

...Ahh. Alright then.

Just estimating using the formulas. The taller you are for a given weight, the higher your BMR is going to be. If you were, say, 40 years old you would need to be about 4'6 or shorter for your [calculated] BMR to be under 1300. Maybe you're 4'6, I dunno.
  • naku
    Options

...Ahh. Alright then.

Just estimating using the formulas. The taller you are for a given weight, the higher your BMR is going to be. If you were, say, 40 years old you would need to be about 4'6 or shorter for your [calculated] BMR to be under 1300. Maybe you're 4'6, I dunno.

Yep.

As for saying you don't know what I want you to say... don't worry; you just said it. You don't know.
  • joncassie
    joncassie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How much u wight
  • jonnythan
    Options

...Ahh. Alright then.

Yep.

As for saying you don't know what I want you to say... don't worry; you just said it. You don't know.

Are you posting here just to argue and derail this person's thread? I was posting relevant scientific information about sodium intake levels. You asked me for recommendations about your sodium intake, which led to a discussion on your diet. I thought you were asking questions for information or learning, but now it looks like you were just trying to argue?

I said many times I don't know anything about your diet. I was trying to help you since you were asking me for help. I said that you could open your diary if you wanted specific recommendations or comments.

So I'm not sure what any of this is about anymore. Your extremely low sodium intake has been scientifically linked to insulin resistance and mortality via several peer-reviewed scientific studies. It is irresponsible to recommend that people decrease their sodium intake to such low levels.

If you want recommendations, open your diary and we can talk. If you just want to go back and forth until you feel justified in your extremely low sodium intake because you think you made the guy saying it's bad look like a fool, then I'm not really interested.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I recommend just cleaning up your diet. You said this last week wasn't a good representation, but then you said you have a sweet tooth. (As do I)

What I did notice, is that there really wasn't any fresh produce in your diet. This could help you. An apple or a peach instead of something sweet. A couple salads with tuna or chicken or beans or.... find a lower calorie salad dressing, or use vinegar (balsamic or cider). Try something new!

It's hard to say exactly what your issue is, and you got a TON of feedback now about sodium. And your HRM.
    I don't pay much attention to sodium or sugar. It's more calories, fat, protein and carbs. Those are the important numbers to me.

Your body may be used to what you've been trying to do (exercise and eating) and it may need a change.

Play with protein shakes and a clean diet for a weekend (lean protein and fresh produce), stay under your calorie goal (dont' eat back to many of your exercise calories, drink all your water, and see if anything happens. I dropped about 3 lbs eating "clean" for 4 days. Water weight? Sure, why not! But it was weight... and it stayed off! I seem to have to change what I'm doing every 3 months or so to keep my body dropping weight. 54 lbs gone, 22 or so to go!

I also lost the most weight when I ate about 200 calories ever 2 hours. It seemed to kick up my metabolism and just started falling off!

My 2 cents ;) good luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    As far as the others reduced sodium stuff... I would watch out for that. I got water toxicity from too high water intake and too little sodium.

Anyways, as far as logging exercise calories a heart rate monitor is ONLY accurate during steady state cardio. NOT lifting.

What I would do is add that into your activity level, as you burn significantly less than you think you do while lifting.

Make sure to measure measure measure, strength train, and perhaps track body fat % instead of weight.

Good luck!
  • JRTrapp
    JRTrapp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Change up yor workout routine. Try circuit training! Check your heart rate and make sure that you are challenging yourself enough. Also, High protein, high fiber!! Watch your fat intake too. Are you getting plenty of sleep?
  • joncassie
    joncassie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok how much u wiegh and how much u lose go to gym
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Wow!

LOL.

"sodium <2300 mg
    outcome in any subgroup"

Well looking at my diary, on one day last week my stats were:

1310 calories
    68g protein
    42g fat
    903mg sodium

And that's pretty much what most days look to me.

Jesus Christ, 68 grams protein? Goodbye muscle mass!
  • rtrcarrie
    rtrcarrie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm NOT going to get into any sodium arguments here, I get over the recommended too often but not every day. I do try to keep mine lower when I can (buying low sodium canned veggies is a good way) because I know it causes water retention and who wants that right?! But I don't go overboard because none of my Dr's has ever given me advice to do so and I talk to them about everything!

What I wanted to suggest is this: Don't put in every exercise you do and you won't be tempted to eat all those extra calories. I have been at the same place as you for a couple months, stuck. I have recently stopped entering my weekend exercise because I am not walking the amount I do on my normal work day and I think this is an important factor. I am starting to see it working too! So weekend exercise is no longer posted to my diary even though I am still doing it. During my work week I only post what I do at PT because that is extra and when I have several portable x-rays to do I add "Furniture moving" time because it is extra and it's the closest thing I can find to what it involves exertion wise.

Just a thought that might help.