Gastric Bypass

Options
Is anyone using this site to track their food intake after bariatric surgery?

Replies

• ghost139
    ghost139 Posts: 7
    Options
    Just outta curiosity, would you really need to count your calories all that much after that surgery? probably cant eat that much anymore, stomach being 3x smaller.

also, did you already do the surgery, and did you try counting calories before hand? always best to exhaust all options before going for the extremes :D

best of luck, and i'm sure some people do use this site to track food after having said operation.

tracking food, is tracking food after all :D
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Had LapBand one yr ago and using MFP daily. I have several GP pals who do. Go to Gastric Bypass / LapBand forum. Lots of people ther.

Good luck.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass almost 9 months ago and used MFP before and still use it. I log everything. Just because I have had surgery doesn't mean I don't have to watch what I eat and how much, and keep close track of exercise, etc. My dietitian and surgeon both follow me on here also. The surgery is only a tool--you still have to do the work and watch every morsel you put into your body. There is no cutting corners if you want to succeed and remain successful.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Just outta curiosity, would you really need to count your calories all that much after that surgery? probably cant eat that much anymore, stomach being 3x smaller.

also, did you already do the surgery, and did you try counting calories before hand? always best to exhaust all options before going for the extremes :D

best of luck, and i'm sure some people do use this site to track food after having said operation.

tracking food, is tracking food after all :D

YES, you need to count your calories after bariatric surgery. you also need to count your protein grams and many of us track our carbs as well. We also exercise and track our exercise online as well...Personally, I've counted calories in the past.. I've been with MFP for years the issue is that my enormous appetite made it painfully difficult for me to consistently eat at a deficit large enough to lose significant weight and keep it off. Having a smaller stomach/appetite is helpful, but it's not guarantee that you'll be successful at losing all of your excess weight and keeping it off. Bariatric surgery in conjunction with calorie counting will maximize success.

OP there are a LOT of us on here. MFP is a fantastic tool to use in conjunction with bariatric surgery. I had VSG surgery 3 months ago and couldn't imagine taking this journey without using MFP.
  • jendemi
    jendemi Posts: 115
    Options
    I had gastric over 8 years ago and started to use this site as old habits were creeping back. It has helped me to stay on track.
    Good luck!!!
  • debwalsh51
    Options
    surgery is tomorrow - yes, I did count calories - down to 1200 per day and my weight didn't budge for several months - I have the metabolism of a rock - thanks for the concerns
  • TammyRN1970
    Options
    Good luck with the surgery, let us know how it goes. I am about 2 months away from my surgery yet. Still have one more pretest to do, before they can schedule me.