Will my body ever get thinner?

Options
I've been eating healthy since September 8 of last year, and I've lost 92 lbs. so far. I started out at 300, which was my wake up call that I needed to lose weight, and I'm currently 208. I've lost 92 lbs. -- shouldn't I be able to see some results? I'm still very fat, and I haven't lost much at all from my waist as far as I can tell. According to the BMI charts, my healthy weight is between 114 to 144 lbs. For now, my goal weight is 140, but I figured once I get there I can always reassess.

At any rate, I have gone down 3 sizes in pants. But most of my tops just fit a little better but I haven't really gone down a size.

Only my mom, my dad, my brother, and 1 of my classmates have even asked me if I lost weight -- no one else can even tell. None of my friends have noticed. I've lost 92 lbs. of the 160 I want to lose...I feel like that should be an accomplishment. But I'm still just really fat all over and I don't feel any better about my body :(.

Replies

• AwkwardPumpkin
    AwkwardPumpkin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It takes time to see change. 92lbs. is a huge accomplishment. A suggestion might be to try some new clothes. Sometimes if you have the same old stuff, it is hard to see that change. Also, look for the little things! I am only done 19lbs but already I noticed my shirts a bit looser and my belt is two notches farther down. No one else had noticed, but I know I am losing weight and that makes me feel good.
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I suggest taking measurements every month, or even pictures to look at. You make not think your waist is any smaller but I bet it is by lots! I don't think people haven't noticed your weight loss, a lot of the times people simply don't comment on it. You are doing GREAT, look at what you have already accomplished :) Keep at it, you will be at your goal in no time.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I started out a few lbs heavier than you are now.. and I just now can tell ANY difference in my belly 45 lbs later. -_-
    I would get so frustrated over it and want to give up.. I was convinced at one point that I hadn't lost a lb at all!! Just keep at it. Everyone is different, every body is built differently! =) While losing I did notice that too though, the changing shapes.. my belly did change shape, no inches lost.. just a different shape! It was odd but you'll get there!! =)
  • mattskeeper0319
    Options
    Its prob because you are losing the weight gradually. You and others who see you everyday , might be harder to notice. 92 pounds is a huge accomplishment, I am impressed and I don't even know you. Don't give up, you have come so far!!!! You will hit some bumps in the road like this where you will wonder if uts worth iv bc you r not seeing results but trust me the results are there, don't b sohard on yourself you should b proud!!! :):flowerforyou:
  • tarabatton
    tarabatton Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I too have lost quite a bit of weight, 53lbs, but I am have a hard time noticing. I started at 297 and I am down to 253. The best advice that I can give is keep strong. Take pics, that's where you will notice the most difference. For me I notice my loss in my face not much anywhere else. I am still wearing clothes that I wore at my heaviest and I have only lost 7in off my waist and 5in off my hips. I know that this is going to be a long journey. Feel free to add me I would love to support each other.
  • ELJohnson15
    Options
    As my mom tells me everyday, "Just keep swimming."

If you've already lost as much weight as you have, why would you give up now? It will take a lot of time and effort, but it will be worth it, especially when you look in that mirror and see the difference between where you will be in the future and where you started. Right now, I want you to take an old picture and compare it to the way you look currently, and I bet you'll see a big difference. Just remember to look forward, and not back. There will always be some idiot who won't notice the change, but what matters is you being healthy and you feeling confident about the way you are. There are people on here starting where you started, and they look up to you. You wouldn't want to let them down, right? Just keep going, trust me, your body will be thinner and you'll be happier.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. 92lbs is an amazing accomplishment! Just remember you're doing this for you and no one else, but I totally understand how frustrating it is when no one says anything or notices!!! But like you said, you have had some people notice and 3 dress sizes in your pant is incredible. I have great friends, but to me, friends are interesting things. I'd like to think their all honest and lovely all of the time, but I've found some actually get quite jealous. I went on a mission to lose sooo much weight that my 'friends' would just HAVE to comment!!!! Which isn't totally healthy and yes the girls in my group still didn't really say much but the guys in my group made a huge deal out of my weightloss efforts in front of everyone and some family and it really did help, but it took a long time! I learned that sometimes your so called friends aren't that supportive of your missions thanks to jealousy, but my other group of girlfriends always noticed, they were on the same mission and we all supported each other. Surround yourself with these people!

Are you still losing weight or plateaued? Keep with it! You mAy need to make some minor changes if you've plateaued to continue your journey!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hey I know sometimes this seems like its taking forever or our overall goals can look a little scary and overwhelming but you gotta stay positive!! You have lost 92 lbs!!! That is amazing!! Really that alone is something to be proud of!! Most people would have given up a thousands times over but not you!!! you kept at it! So don't stop now!!! And sure you aren't at your goal yet but you're a hell of a lot farther to your goal then when you started out, right? You may not be giving yourself the credit you deserve! Compare some old pictures, try on some new clothes, start taking measurements! These are all things that will help you see how far you've really come! And don't worry about people not saying anything yet, people are funny with these kinds of things. Some people probably have noticed but may feel uncomfortable saying anything to you about your weight. I know when I first started out my boyfriend's mother complimented me and kinda bundled her compliment along with her daughter's and bf's cuz they were too afraid to say anything and risk hurting my feelings.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,976 Member
    Options
    You have lost 92 pounds! Everyone has noticed, but most people don't mention it.

You can't see it because, well, you CAN'T see it.:grumble:

You are doing so great! Tell those voices in your head to shut up! :noway:

Congratulations!:flowerforyou: Celebrate your accomplishment! Try on a pair of your old pants if you kept one. (I regret that I didn't save one pair for comparison) .
  • sammyjo1088
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I definitely don't plan on giving up, although it is frustrating. I actually took your advice and took a picture of myself wearing the same outfit now that I had a picture of myself in August 2012, and there definitely is a difference. The shirt fit me then, and it's a lot looser now. I also noticed that the shirt from a year ago stopped at the bottom of my stomach, but now it goes to the top of my thighs. So I guess there has been a change.

And maybe you're right that people don't want to mention it because they don't want to talk to me about my weight since that's usually a sensitive issue. I'm surprised my one classmate mentioned it at all -- she just came out and asked me if I'd lost weight and when I said yes, she said that she could totally tell. Turns out that she uses myfitnesspal.com too, once we started talking.

I may have plateaued since this week I was a pound heavier than last, but I wouldn't call it a plateau until it's lasted a few weeks. During the time that I've lost weight, I've had a few weeks here and there where I won't lose any weight or I'll even gain a pound but then the next week I'm down even further than before, so I just attribute it to normal fluctuations in body weight. I've heard that women's weight can vary even more than men's, so I don't worry too much about a pound here or there, although obviously I'd prefer to keep seeing the number go down!
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You've lost 92 pounds in 9 months and 14 days? Works out to approximately 2.3 pounds a week, and over 9 pounds every month. That is amazing! Some people plateau for months without seeing the scale budge. Be proud of yourself and look at how far you have actually come in this experience.

Stay with it and have patience! Consistency is key and patience is crucial. Trust the process :) If your weight loss stalls (plateau), then switch up your exercise routine for a week or something with how you are eating in order to "shock" your body into losing weight again. Our bodies can get used to routines.

Like other people said, find happiness in the little differences you see. Periodic progress photos might be good as well-- we look at ourselves all day, so it's hard to see differences physically, day to day. Good luck :)
  • sammyjo1088
    Options
    Most weeks, I did not lose 2.3 lbs...I typically lost between 1-2 lbs. every week. It's just that the very first week, I lost massive amounts of weight, something like 12 lbs. in the first week, no joke. You have no idea how horribly I was eating -- something like a 12 pack of soda, 2-3 family sized bags of chips, a box of cookies, a box of frozen chicken nuggets, peanut butter pretzel nuggets, and cheetos all in one day. So when I went from that to 1600 calories per day and no drinks except skim milk in the morning and water the rest of the day, I lost a ton of weight. The second and third weeks I also lost big. After that, it got more normal and some weeks I didn't lose or I lost less than a pound. I'm also down to 1400 calories per day, and on days when I exercise, I eat a little more than that. I don't plan on going lower, because I get very hungry when I try to go to 1200.

I think my weight loss may be stalling again, as I seem somehow to have gained back a pound even though I increased my exercise routine last week (I'd been burning about 300-310 cals per session on the elliptical but this past week it was 350-360) and am still eating the same. It's disappointing -- seems like it should be a simple formula of calories in vs. calories out and not have to do anything fancy.
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    I take my hat off to you as you are doing so well. Just a thought. Are you doing the same kind of exercise week in, week out? I've been running for years and have maintained a certain weight. However, from time to time I get injured and have to change my fitness routine. When I get back to running again it's like boom, I drop a few pounds! I've read that we need to change our exercise routine every three weeks to shake the body up a bit. I need to look into this further but it does make sense. Don't lose heart in what you're doing, we're right with you!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your successes. If you can find a photo of you at your heaviest and take a new one and compare. Also begin taking monthly pics so you can place them side by side and compare. Many times it is hard to see the changes that are slowly taking place and pics help immensely!