Allergic to Fish? What do you do for Protien?

Options
I am really allergic. I mean REALLY. I try to limit my red meat, so that means a lot of turkey and chicken. I have no desire to go vegan.

Some suggestions? What I really need are protien suggestions.

Replies

• queenak77
    queenak77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i understand you! i am allergic to fish also, turkey and chicken is my friend. also, beans are a source of protein. hope this helps
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Red meat is ok in moderation, lean poultry is always a good choice, but can get kind of boring if that's all you have.

Some other sources (besides fish)??

-Eggs
    -Greek Yogurt
    -Tofu
    -Quinoa
    -Almonds and Almond Butter
    -Flaxseed/Whey & Soy Supplements
    -Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
    -
  • missiemccarley
    Options
    My EAS protein shake has 17 grams of protein nd only 170 calories. I add frozen, no sugar added fruit or fresh fruit a few ice cubes and throw it in a blender after my workout in the am, and it keeps me going for a bit.
  • crucible_13
    Options
    Don't forget about the other white meat - PORK!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    -Eggs
    -Greek Yogurt
    -Tofu
    -Quinoa
    -Almonds and Almond Butter
    -Flaxseed/Whey & Soy Supplements
    -Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
    -

Great list! I'd also add Saytan (made from wheat gluten) to the list - sounds odd, but it's delicious, and high in protein. You can buy it pre-made or make your own pretty easily. (I actually like it better than tofu). I'm not vegan/vegetarian, but like throwing in some of the non-meat protein sources to mix up my meals.

Regarding eggs - it's a good idea to buy some egg whites (they sell them in cartons next to the eggs) - I add 1/4 to 1/2 a cup to one or two whole eggs for an omelet - it adds extra protein without the extra fat.
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Legumes are a great source of protein and fiber too. Any type of beans, peas, lentils, garbanzo beans, etc..
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    eggs, yogurt, beans, cheese, protein shakes, peanut butter
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Tempeh, is great made from whole soybeans.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about the other white meat - PORK!

you're so right, a pork chop has 22 grams of protein in it.

milk,(1 cup is 8 grams) cheese, eggs(large egg is 6 grams) ,tofu (1/2 cup has 20 grams) 4 oz of pork tenderloin will give you 29 grams, steak (6oz is 42 grams) chickn breast 3.5 oz (30 grams) soybeans (1/2 cup 15 grams) your best bean for protein. Yogurt can be a good source, but you have to really read the labels i've seen some as low as 3 grams and some as high as 14 grams.
  • pbap
    pbap Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm not allergic to fish, but I just don't like it. Also, there's too much mercury in fish anyway. Shop for a good whey protein drink - add fruits, be creative! Beans are also a good source, if you like them.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. I also like to supplement with balance bars and boost or ensure shakes. They have a good amount of protein without added artificial sweeteners, which I'm allergic to. I'm also a vegetarian, so looking for protein can be hard. I recommend:

Tofu
    Tempeh
    Soy Miklk
    Eggs
    Cottage Cheese
    Nuts
    Yogurt
    Hummus
  • JillMaddox
    Options
    awesome..thank you so much......
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Chicken, Chicken. You can find many low fat, low carb, low calorie recipes online. I like dllife.com. They have many healthy recipes and helpful tips.