Nutrition Guides

Options
Over the last couple days my diet was tested. Hard. On Friday I visited a Chinese Buffet for lunch, usually not a good idea for weight loss but hey! It was Friday! I asked for a nutrition guide for the food they had available, i got weird looks and decided to use my own judgment for my intake choices. Needless to say... I failed hard when i came here to track my consumption. Learning a lesson from that, the next day (Saturday) my wife n i meet some friends at buffalo wild wings. MMM NOM NOM. I do the same thing as before and ask for a nutrition guide for the food on the menu. After searching for a few moments they find a binder with spreadsheets of information! GOLD MINE, Thank you! As I am searching through it i notice all the "new" sauces and items aren’t on this spreadsheet of happiness. I ask the front if they have an updated version and their response was "Oh we haven’t been emailed an update, so this is all we have"..... ok then.

Are restaurants supposed to have nutrition information available? I see all food at my grocery store has labels, is it just me thinking it’s odd to have trouble finding information on restaurant style meals? If they are supposed to have the information available, shouldn’t it include all of the items on the menu?

Kind of a Rant, Kind of some questions.

Thanks MFPals!!

Replies

• gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Most big chains have nutrition guides, but local restaurants probably won't have them. I don't think there are any laws that require this for restaurants, but packaged food has to have it.

One thing you could do, if you have a smartphone with internet, is just look up nutrition info on google.
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    I use my cell phone MFP app to check the calories on "similar" items before I order them or I just exercise more that day or the next day to work off all those extra calories.
  • ladybugshooter
    Options
    I am new on here and I have a questions since the sugar counter on here addes even fruits and vegetables how do you know how many you can have?. I know about added sugars and to watch them.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Only restaurants with more than 20 locations have to have nutrition info available. Why not look it up on line before you go and then if they don't have the nuts you can find a similar item and go from there.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ladybugshoote, you'd get more answers if you start a new thread, not change what the original thread is about. The sugars in fruits and vegetables are not added sugar. They occur naturally. You need to read labels to know if sugar, dextrose, manitol, dextrose, fructose, etc. has been added. This would be added sugar that you should watch. How much to have in a day is listed on your food tab goals.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yup ^^ what 'Quliter' said!

It's best to do the research beforehand, makes it easier for everyone!! You can make an educated choice, not feel pressured on the spot to hurry and then end up making a bad choice.
    Plus, you dont want the poor employees running around looking all over for the info, getting behind, getting mad, and THEN preparing your food. (haha!)

Here are the guidelines: http://getbetterhealth.com/know-thy-calories-nutrition-labeling-guidelines-for-restaurants/2011.01.11
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    All larger restaurant chains such as buffalo Wild wings are suppose to have the nutritional information available. Actually Buffalo Wild Wings has it available online.