Training for a 5k in 3 weeks

Options
Hi all,

I've loosely been following the couch to 5k plan. On most days I've added a few extra minutes of running and walking so that I got to a full 5k within the first few weeks. I can now pretty much run 13-15 minutes straight and then I have to walk for about a minute or two before I run another 13-15 minutes. I did 5km in 32 minutes today.

I entered a 5k fun run that'll take place on July 14th. There will be people who will be walking the whole stretch, but I really want to run. Preferably under 30 minutes.

What do you reckon is the best strategy to get there? Is it best to start working on being able to run the entire 5km without walking or should I continue with intervals and work on my speed. Or a mix? I'm thinking of going running every other day.

I have to add, I've only started running in May, and I have had a couple of weeks when I only went for one run. When I started I could barely run for 90 seconds, so I've seen HUGE improvements, but my speed has pretty much been static at 8-9km/h.

And lastly, feel free to add me! Always looking for motivation.

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Do a weekly long run. This should be further than a 5k, doesn't have to be much further, but 4-5 miles is good. Don't time yourself, just go a comfortable pace and walk when you need to. This builds endurance.

Also include one or two days of speed work. Go as fast as you can for a set time or distance the. Walk/jog for a time or distance. For example, fast for 3 or 4 minutes, slow for 1.5 or 2. Continue for half hour. This will build speed.
  • 6302getsfit
    6302getsfit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Get the app "run 5K" if possible, it helps you train.
    Don't worry of where you are in the race, just have fun!
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    Well done you, you're doing great. I'd like to share a few things with you which I hope will help.

1. Have you invested in a pair of proper running shoes from a shop that has done a gait analysis using a treadmill for you. Doing this helps reduce the chance of injury when you start pushing the pace and distance.
    2. Are you wearing a good sports bra.
    3. Don't worry about speed or time for your first 5K. Completing the distance with a smile on your face matters irrespective of whether you walked or not.
    4. Do not be tempted to set off too quickly, you'll burn out just as quick.
    5. Hal Higdon does a good 5k programme for beginners, google him.
    6. Enjoy the experience!

And then if you're like me, you'll get the bug big time, jump up to 10K, 10 milers, half marathons, marathons, off road long distance adventure races and it goes on!
  • m_onamission
    m_onamission Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! That was really helpful!

I do have the couch to 5k app by zenlabs. I'm following it most days, just adding on an extra few minutes at the end so I always get to 5k, whether it's running or walking. But the next two weeks are pretty much just straight out runs ranging that increase by a few minutes every day.

I think I'm going to try running a little bit further once a week as sjp_511 suggested. I'm currently running at a very steady pace, but maybe I'll try the treadmill for speed work, might be easier than doing that outside.

And yes, I plan on actually enjoying the race, but before that I'd quite like to get some training in haha ;)