Portion control to keep the weight off permanently

Options
arhee
arhee Posts: 6 Member
Hi all, thought I would share a few tricks to help you lose a massive amount of weight. Its no secret, its an oldie, but a goodie. That's right....portion control. I've read a dozen or so articles on this and have heard this tossed around the general fitness world and I tried to implement this to my schedule and failed so many time. This time around, I was motivated to finally get the body I always wanted since I was 19. So I went over what I was currently eating and cleaned up my diet 100%. I figured that the key to sticking to this was 1) motivation and 2) good planning. So I picked one day of the week (Sunday) to cook all my meals for the week so that I can eat every 3 hours, 6 times a day. I measure and portion everything out and put them into plastic containers and/or ziploc bags.

So far, I've lost 17 pounds. On my frame of 5'7" that is a LOT, so this definitely works for me. I now weigh 135 pounds and have about 19% bodyfat, down from about 30% bodyfat!! Obviously, a great exercise program in combination with this nutrition plan is key. You can work out intensely, but if you don't eat right, all your hard work will go down the drain. Its never 100%, its 110% and 90% is nutrition and 20% is exercise.

My typical meals per day:

Meal 1= 1/2 cup oatmeal with one scoop of vanilla whey protein topped with blueberries. 1/2 grapefruit and a 3 or 4 egg white omelet.

Meal 2= Turkey meatloaf or turkey chili with brown rice and green beans or broccoli with 1 tsp flax seed oil.

Meal 3= 8 almonds, one apple and some cottage cheese

Meal 4= 2 cups of spinach, topped with 4 oz chicken breast (boneless/skinless), 1/2 avocado, tomatoes and topped with lemon juice (no dressing!!) / or a protein shake + banana (on exercise days)

Meal 5=4 or 5 oz chicken breast grilled with lots of steamed veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus or green beans usually)

Meal 6= Cottage cheese and ricecakes topped with natural peanut butter

This is just a typical day. Sometimes I switch things out because I get extremely sick of chicken as I don't eat any fish/seafood unfortunately. I know this looks like a lot of work, but if you pick one day to cook everything and bag it up for the week, they will be ready to go each morning before you head off to work or school. Once you get the routine going, I swear you will never look back especially once your see your waistline decreasing.

Again, just to stress this is recommended in conjunction with regular exercise. You will still see a noticeable difference if you just do the portion control and clean up your eating habits. Try to eat as clean as possible, and when I mean clean, I mean as natural and unprocessed as possible, no sauces, dressings, salt, or anything that can add hidden calories. As you can see from my above meal plan, this is a very high protein, low carbohydrate, low fat diet. This macronutrient ratio is the key to weight loss success as protein helps with appetite control and to feed the muscles after a long workout. I am not saying to cut out carbs completely, just cut out anything that is processed and refined such as white rice, white pasta, white bread, etc. This is essential in weight loss, I can't stress this point enough. Complex carbohydrates are essential to fuel your workouts and to keep you from crashing in the middle of the day.

Not that you can't have you occasional treat. I really enjoy coffee, so I still drink this black in moderation along with a piece of chocolate every once in a while. I find that my will power is really good now so I can treat myself with a cheat meal once a week, but I no longer want to. I no longer have cravings for the things that used to be my downfall, such as white rice and white pasta and pizza. And the biggest plus is that I am no longer hungry. I always feel satisfied even when its time for the next meal. I eat to live now, not live to eat. Its a huge lifestyle change, but you must always tell yourself that "nothing ever tastes as good as thin feels".

Some good examples of various macronutrients:

Protein:
Lean chicken breast
Cod
Tilapia
Salmon
Turkey breast
Tofu
Beans
Extra lean beef
Cottage Cheese
Egg Whites

Carbohydrates:
Sweet potato
Brown rice
Oatmeal
Quinoa
Barley
Yams
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Spinach
Asparagus
Green Beans
Courgette/Zucchini
Carrots
Apples
Bananas
Pears
Blueberries

Fats:
Avocados
Almonds
Olive oil
Flaxseed Oil

There's obviously much more you can use to eat clean, so feel free to ask any questions you may have about this plan. I hope this helps you get started on the right track. See you at the gym!!

xx
Ali

Replies

• sorellabella
    sorellabella Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Great plan..thanks for sharing.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    You did a good job of getting it down to Basics. Your "Diet" is very similar to mine, except that I LOVE Fish, mostly Salmon and Tilapia and I have them often.
    Portion Control and eating every 3~4 hours are two of the main Keys to my success. And I have done it while eating most of my meals in Restaurants.
    The BEST Part is how GOOD I Feel, and all the energy I have.
  • Leah1177
    Options
    This is great, thanks for sharing. I'm also 5'7 and my goal weight is around 130-135, so I'm trying to lose 10-15 lbs. It's amazing the amount of calories that I didn't realize that I was consuming everyday, but being able to see it really helps me with my diet. I've been doing this about a week now and have lost half a pound - am hoping to see faster results, but I'm going to be patient and stick to it.
  • bree1609
    bree1609 Posts: 136
    Options
    I agree about the portion control. It seems to be the only thing that is working for me. I eat every 3-4 hours and measure/weigh all the food I cook at home for my husband and me. On days when I eat two meals alone, I usually eat a Lean Cuisine meal since the measuring is already done, and I've been working out daily! We also have a rule saying we can eat/order out only once a week. That helps me to not go overboard on foods over which I have no control!
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    arhee, I agree with everything you've said, I've been eating the same way to maintain my weight for years now, it absolutely works.
  • dale49
    dale49 Posts: 37
    Options
    You've made some very smart choices. IMHO the biggest good choice you made was to start while you are young and not completely out of control. I wish I'd gotten smarter about 10 years ago (and I was still 20 years older thna you then!) and I would have gotten on top of this weight issue. C'est la vie....I'm on to of it now! Good continued sucess to you!
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thank You for sharing. I love seeing what others are doing, and what they are eating.
  • arhee
    Options
    LJ Cannon, isn't it wonderful the new way you feel. That feeling is what keeps you motivated and going. Kudos to you for sticking to a meal plan similar to mine. I think that once you get into the habit of eating this way, its simple as pie to do it out in restaurants. Take me to any restaurant, and I WILL find something I can eat on there.

Great job!!
  • arhee
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your replies, more articles to come. Specifically tackling more nutrition, weight training, cardio, supplements, plateaus and spiking your insulin post-workout.
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    thanks for the great post!!!