Is walking even excercise? can you lose weight

Options

Replies

• Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Walking is moment movement burns calories there for you can loose weight walking. People who walk the Appalachian Trail will tell you how their body changes during their journey.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Apart from a push up or two it's all I do ...
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My mom has been due for a total knee replacement for over 2 decades now (and this is now affecting her other knee ;() but she's losing weight. She takes walks, albeit slow and steady, and she's lost 20 pounds in a matter of two months (in addition to calorie reduction, and eating as clean as she can). You can certainly do it :)
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I do 10 min on my stepping machine and 10 min on my stationary bike the rest I walk and I have lost 55 lbs since September.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight by walking. I started walking post-pregnancy and dropped 30lbs. Of course I ate in moderation and drank lots of water ,but you can lose weight walking (I used to walk 3000+ steps in one "sitting").
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have a torn Meniscus and ACL. I actually have found swimming and spinning/biking a lot easier on my knee than walking. Walking seems to really push too much pressure on my hip and foot which in turns puts pressure on my knee, so becareful with that.

I can walk now though, but when I first started couldn't even walk 5 mins on a treadmill but after 6 months of progressive swimming and spinning training I can now walk about 2 miles at a 3 mile pace. I don't push it past that because I have no idea if my knee will slip. So far I have been lucky and it has not slipped in almost 8 months. I am trying to get to my goal weight before I have surgery in Sept or Oct...that way I can rest for a few months and not worry too much about weight. Even thinking of asking the doctor to give me a gel injection, so I can even extend it maybe another year. We will see. I know I am working on borrowed time in terms of my cartilage so I don't know. Really frustrated about it because I don't want to take six months off of training for a stupid ACL replacement

Walking is good but I wonder if you are able to elevate your heart rate because you need to do so to burn calories. Swimming or the Arc Trainer might be better for you. I swim nearly everyday. It is the number one exercise that has strengthened my knee and increased my mobility and range of motion. It is hard, no joke, but it works well for cardio, really well.

It is summer, you might want to try it.
  • z4dow
    z4dow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I lost 37 lbs by walking more and eating less.
    It's the easiest but yet effective exercise.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you want to kick up a notch, but remain somewhat low impact, try one of those Leslie Sansone Walking workout dvd's. THey are free on YouTube. I Hurt my knee a couple months ago and wanted to keep my exercise low impact, and I did these workouts. They get your heart rate going pretty good, while being easy on the body. Its just 4 basic step movements with arm movements and what not worked in. She irritates me, but you could always hit mute
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight from your diet. But walking is definitely a good thing to do.

This^
  • surv8r
    surv8r Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 50 pounds in 12 weeks by walking daily...
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My neighbor has lost 65 pounds by just walking and watching what she eats.
  • tphil58
    tphil58 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Walking is definitely exercise. More for some of us than others. Ha! Both my knees are arthritic so I don't know if running will ever be a good option for me. I have been walking regularly and logging on mfp religiously and am down 16lbs in 6 weeks. Good luck on your journey to health!
  • readeramm
    readeramm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    walking is my primary exercise. I started with 1 mile at a time and now I walk 5-9 miles 6 days a week and have been losing steadily for 9 months.
  • NancyJeanSmith
    Options
    Walking is definitely an exercise that you can lose weight when you do it!!! Walking is about the only thing I can do right now, and I'm doing great, with the weight loss!!! DON'T QUIT WALKING!!!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 lbs walking. Not only has it helped my weight and blood pressure, but it has helped my hip tremendously! I have tendonitis and bursitis. Last year I could not even walk a block without extreme pain. Today I walked 9 miles. Start at a pace that you're comfortable with and add from there.
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump to read more thoroughly later.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Check out the video (on YouTube) called 23 1/2 hours for the health benefits of walking. Calorie burns from walking are not high, but combined with a caloric deficit and maybe some weight training will help you reach your goals.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight walking. I walk at a park designed for this. At the beginning there is a board that tells has a chart that specifies how many calories will be burned at certain points at what pace and how long it should take you to get to the next point to achieve this goal. Love it! Once you get use to it. Step it up and use small hand weights and work your arms while walking. This will give a wonderful cardio. work out.
  • kendunn579
    kendunn579 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    All I've done for the last year is walk, do sit ups and push ups. It's worked for me!
  • evg1972
    evg1972 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes walking is great. I have lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks and my only exercise has been walking; I walk early every morning during the week and try to do some with the family over the weekend. Don't underestimate it, it is great to get out into the free air every day. Good luck