What Should be a Reward for Weight Loss

Options
I know some will look at this cross eyed and go pfft but I am only speaking what I know to be true. If you do not agree then we can agree to disagree. With that said below are my thoughts:

The good rewards:

New Clothes
New Running Shoes
New purse
New HRM
New GPS for tracking runs or cicycling
New gadget that promotes fitness
New hairdo
Money in the jar for a future vacation (since this money was saved due to lack of binge eating at the snack machines)

Bad Awards:

Fatty Food
Sweets
Gadgets that promote sitting on the couch and moving thumbs
A night out at your favorite drinking spot to celebrate and indulge
Diet Supplements to assist in weight loss

To sum it up; Anything that supports a healthy lifestyle and does not promote bad habits that caused you to fail in the beginning.

Too often I see post where I deserve a moment of splurging into my favorite deserts etc... as a reward for my hard work or I really want to get plastered as a celebration for hard work while others applause these choices. When you think on these lines you have to ask yourself how far have you come and have I learned anything about healthy life style changes. Meaning, if I played with a snake and it bit me but I survived why would I want to play with that snake again? So, roll your eyes if you will but that is your choice or embrace this and consider the full scope of what I am stating and if you don't agree live your life as you will but I encourage you all to put up a good fight and think about health over all other things. There is a difference between a splurge and a sampling.

Carlos

Replies

• AwesomeMe
    AwesomeMe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this reminder Carlos. :flowerforyou:
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I totally agree. . .my last reward was a new pair of earrings. . .I had been wanting them anyways and now everytime I see them in my ears I think about "why" I have them. . .and that encourages me to keep on!!
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    I totall agree. :drinker:
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of the money in the jar.....even if that doesn't seem too much like a reward to some, you could even purchase gift certificates for travel....now you're on the hook to lose more weight for sure! :laugh:
  • Mari1969
    Mari1969 Posts: 37
    Options
    Great post. I agree. I think i would rather go shopping instead of eating something bad :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. . .my last reward was a new pair of earrings. . .I had been wanting them anyways and now everytime I see them in my ears I think about "why" I have them. . .and that encourages me to keep on!!
    Love IT!:heart:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Great points, all that money saved from junk foods can go to HRM, MP3/Ipod, workout equipment, things to pamper ourselves...

:heart: We are SO WORTH IT!:heart:
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you my favorite reward: going to the beach taking my shirt off. :smokin:
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you my favorite reward: going to the beach taking my shirt off. :smokin:

I can agree with that... I plan to take mine off in another 31 lbs when I reach my final goal. I actually can get away with it now but with that six pack at 158 lbs I can say "Bam!" LOL
  • ArmyWife815
    Options
    I totally agree. It can be hard to come back from those binge eatings and I'll use myself as an example. On my birthday my family took me out to dinner at a seafood place. I chose well, grilled salmon, shrimp, and scallops. Didn't even eat any birthday cake but on that day I did go over my calorie goal and had went over it the day before. Again healthy meals but too much of it.

It took me a fews days to get settled back down and target my calorie goal. A day after my birthday I became ill and wanted to comfort myself with food. I didn't, but it was a struggle. My mind wanted me to continue overeating. Trying to rationalize ... "Oh it's only 100 calories over ..., etc." you get the picture.

I think I will borrow one of your ideas and get me a money jar and start putting in a $20 for each pound lost. That will equal a nice little nest egg to spend when I reach my goal weight!!
  • SaveTheDrama
    Options
    To the OP: Great post and so true! My reward for losing 100 pounds was a tattoo that would remind of what I had been through. When I hit my final goal (10 pounds away) My husband is treating me to new family pictures! I used to use food as a reward, but it is a viciuos cycle. The way I look at it is if an alcoholic is sober for 6 months they probably won't celebrate with a drink at the bar. I was addicted to food so my reward should have nothing to do with food or any bad habbits that helped me get to the point of obesity in the first place.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have a can where I put $10 in when I lose 1 lb.. and took $10 out when I gain it back.
  • cparter
    Options
    Bumped up as a good reminder of looking out for number one.
  • Lithuria
    Options
    As a rule of thumb, if it involves putting something in your mouth and swallowing it, it's not a good reward for me ^_^

This is the longest I've stuck at a diet with any seriousness and the most I've ever lost at once...I usually go for one and a half weeks, max, and then find some silly excuse and give up after having only lost 2-3lb's (which is nothing, especially for someone my size) so I treat myself to some new nail varnish for sticking with it. It looks great on my already slimmer looking fingers :D
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I've rewarded myself with a spa pedicure, two necklaces and two pair of earrings. Pedicure was for losing weight and the jewelry was for each of the 10 day Zumba plans I completed. I never buy stuff for myself - it was fun!
  • cole08018
    cole08018 Posts: 4
    Options
    I tend to reward myself with the general new this new that... and not foods/drinks. Thanks for the reminder of all the ways of how not to celebrate weight loss lol. :D
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    My reward today for reaching my goal was a new pair or running shoes! Let me tell ya my feet felt the difference. Another way I reward myself is buying new workout clothes or JEANS!!
  • cparter
    Options
    Glad to see this post is still around :happy:
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you, although I'll HAVE TO make an exception for Misses See's :laugh: :heart:
  • cparter
    Options
    One area of clarification:

This is not an award but if you have a love of a certain food you should not exclude it (i.e., hamburger, ice cream, etc.) but you should handle it in moderation and account for it for you weekly fat/sodium, etc.. content and calorie comsuption. The key here is to be honest with yourself. Now, moderation is not saying they should be the norm. It is saying that if you must have it just don't go overboard and do it often. It is just like a baby and a bottle, you have to weened yourself off it by taking baby steps but if you cannot let it go just don't make it a habit.