Big calves

Options
OK, so I've lost nearly 70 lbs in the past six months. Great. Lost inches everywhere, but only an inch off my calves. It's getting to the point where my thighs are nearly the same circumference as the calves, which looks really weird. Why is it that obese/very overweight/somewhat overweight people have huge calves, and why in the world isn't the fat coming off the calves? And it's fat. Don't tell me it's muscle, because I can tell it's fat. What kind of an evolutionary process is this that the fat comes off the calves last? I've got at least another 30 lbs to go, but geez-Louise, this is frustrating. Could somebody tell me WHY this happens?:grumble:

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    <<same predicament here. I have no idea why though. I'll just keep going and hope they get smaller eventually.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    OK, so I've lost nearly 70 lbs in the past six months. Great. Lost inches everywhere, but only an inch off my calves. It's getting to the point where my thighs are nearly the same circumference as the calves, which looks really weird. Why is it that obese/very overweight/somewhat overweight people have huge calves, and why in the world isn't the fat coming off the calves? And it's fat. Don't tell me it's muscle, because I can tell it's fat. What kind of an evolutionary process is this that the fat comes off the calves last? I've got at least another 30 lbs to go, but geez-Louise, this is frustrating. Could somebody tell me WHY this happens?:grumble:

I don't know why it is true - that those that lose weight tend to retain XL calves but it has been my observation as well....(myself included)!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Some people just have big calves.....same with ankles.

Even in 4th grade at 88 pounds my calves were 12 inches.

As an adult I've never had calves smaller than about 14.5 even at my leanest.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am weird but I LOVE big calves!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I was going to make a topic like this too! I have big calves. It was a dream of mine to be able to wear boots right out of the store, but alas, that may be but a pipe dream. D:
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Oh my god... I am glad I am not the only one with huge calves!! My calves are 16 inches and have not changed despite losing almost 20 pounds.... I thought I was weird, this is way more normal than I thought! I say now: **** happens! :D We are not alone, so who cares? Yay us :D
  • MeAnTtOBeThIn
    MeAnTtOBeThIn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I used to have big thighs and small calves...now I have both. My biggest problem areas. My calves are muscle...yes, that part is true...but honestly, I don't want to look like popeye when I'm done losing weight. Feel your pain :)
  • Pearsquared
    Options
    Oh my god... I am glad I am not the only one with huge calves!! My calves are 16 inches and have not changed despite losing almost 20 pounds.... I thought I was weird, this is way more normal than I thought! I say now: **** happens! :D We are not alone, so who cares? Yay us :D
    What I like is that my big calves are not the fault of my being fat. I just have big calves, lol. Mine are 17.5 in! #OneUp
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    The average size for women's calves is 15" to 16" and most boot sizes are 16". Your calves are not huge :flowerforyou:

OP: A lot might be genetics, I have a similar issue only it's with my arms. That seems to be the last place my body wants to give up the fat, very annoying!!! Keep at your fat loss and eventually they will get smaller. If it's genetic and they don't get smaller embrace them, big calves are sexy with heels!!
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    In.... big calves here as well, but I'm learning to appreciate them.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    What I like is that my big calves are not the fault of my being fat. I just have big calves, lol. Mine are 17.5 in! #OneUp

I just measured mine and they are 17...and there's no fat at all and they are rockin'. :)
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

I just measured mine and they are 17...and there's no fat at all and they are rockin'. :)

NICE!! :-)
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Genetics blessed me with big calves. And I embrace them!
  • Pearsquared
    Options

I would love my big calves if regular-sized boots didn't start at 15 in. and under. o: Mine are fat and walker's muscle, lol.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    At 118lbs my calves were 14.5". They were also 14.5" at 174lbs. Right now, I'm ~130lbs and lifting weights. My calves are currently 14". Go figure!
  • cassiegotto
    Options
    OMG I have big calves too. When I was at my goal weight they were still huge! My ankles too. Socks always leave a line on my ankles and it makes me feel abnormal. You're not alone.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My big calves bug me when it comes to my skinny jeans and high boots! After having intense dance practice (hip hop/urban) everyday for over a year, they built up bulky.

Since I've been running over the past month, they have slimmed a bit, but still big... I'm not going to worry about them right now though, more important for me to focus on overall health right now :P
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I used to but they have tapered to a nice place but my
    thought is the type if fitness can have that muscle
    extrude. Walking on incline will build that muscle as
    will other leg intense motions .. I spin and use elliptical
    mostly and if you can try swimming it might help bring
    the calf muscle lower.
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have beyond big calves. They are downright HUGE. My thighs have been slimming down and are almost the same size as my calves and thats not a compliment!

I have noticed some slimming in my calves, but nothing remarkable. I can only hope to get them to about 16"! I don't wear shorts in public because my calves are freakishly HUGE!