5'4" & under ladies... How many calories do you eat?

Options

Replies

• chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    5 feet tall. 114 pounds....eat around 1000 calories per day. 2 days a week I bump it to 1100-1200. Never more than 1200 ever. Starting weight was 196
  • dailytammy
    dailytammy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    1200 calories day and I never eat back my burned calories.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"4. I calculated my BMR and my daily calorie goal is 1740 - I usually eat just under that, and it allows for a lot of snacks. I have a sedentary (desk) job but I do a lot of exercise, about an hour of walking a day plus trying to make it to the gym 5-6 times a week (mixing up cardio and weight lifting). I think it's really important to listen to your body. While counting calories and increasing the amount of exercise I do, I have slowly learned how much energy I need, and the best times of the day for me to eat. If I feel like I need to eat a little more, I do - especially if I get a calorie adjustment that indicates I can. I'm still losing about 1kg (2.2lbs) a week.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'3" and MFP calculated my calorie goal at 1,460 to lose .5 lb per week. however, i used the calculator at scoobysworkshop.com and they say that my TDEE minus 20% would be 1,793 calories per day. i am nervous about increasing my calorie intake so drastically, but i've been stuck for weeks and got nothing left to lose...except for these last few pounds!

don't go up all at once. try increasing by 100 staying there a week or 2, then another 100, then the rest. this will give your body time to adjust, without drastic changes.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    5'1" - 180 # - 44 years old - MFP is set at 1200/day, but I"m lucky to eat around 1000/day. I do NOT eat back my exercise calories each day which average 800/day. I'm losing 2#/week for the last 3 months. Last year, I was eating more calories and not working out as much and was not losing. Everyone is different, see what works for you!
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just shy of 5'4", 137 lbs. My goal is set for 1600, but I wind up eating anywhere from 1400-2000. Usually on the lower end if I cook all of my meals, and on the higher end if I let my husband cook or take me out for dinner.

I'm not really targeting my meals for a daily caloric intake. Just tracking so I have some idea of how many calories I eat (and can see what things push me over my limits), and what my macros look like. Eating about 1800/day (cut down from 2000 average) I lost 8 lbs in 3 months, and then maintained at 140 for a full year. I'm now aiming to lose my remaining 10 extra lbs. mostly via added exercise.
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Im 5'1" weigh 122 lbs and am 51 years old. I average around 1400 a day on maintenance.
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    this is interesting. I am 4'11...and my scale says 94, though I think it weighs light. MFP calculated 1200 for me. I exercise a lot and hard. I don't always eat back my calories. I just try to take in less than I am allocated....so if I burn 500 and am allowed 1700...my only goal is to stay below that. I don't watch for percentages or anything. Should I?

I may sound light but no one who sees me would say I am skinny. Not fully sure what I am supposed to do so anything that would clarify would be appreciated.

Also, I had heard on another thread that woman under 5 feet should really just be on 1100 per day. Any advice would be welcome. One pound can make such a difference at this height. I want to be 90-92. Sounds so little and I appreciate that it is. Just so much work to get there, not always sure it is worth it.
  • cchardy82
    cchardy82 Posts: 26
    Options
    I am 5'2, 114 pounds and 30 years old. I eat 1000-1200 calories a day and I don't add back my calories when I work out. I have lost 15 pounds in 2 months. I was 5'2 and 130 when I started. I am a runner and found that when I eat back the burned calories, I don't lose weight. In fact, I steadily gained a pound or two a year for the past few years. It may have been muscle, but now I am toned and thinner at the same time.

If I were you, I would cut your calories down but continue working out.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    5'2" , over 40 years and 132 lbs here. I am not restricting and eat about 1700 per day; walk several days per week. I was worried that I would start gaining but I have been eating at these levels for several weeks now and it seems like maintenance. I am trying out a high fat, low carb diet in the hopes it will help me eat a little less and loose. So far, I still eat about 1700.

Thank you everyone for sharing - this is great info.
  • cratcli1
    cratcli1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Trying hard to stay under 1,300 calories. It's a real struggle but I am losing about 1 pound a week.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    this is interesting. I am 4'11...and my scale says 94, though I think it weighs light. MFP calculated 1200 for me. I exercise a lot and hard. I don't always eat back my calories. I just try to take in less than I am allocated....so if I burn 500 and am allowed 1700...my only goal is to stay below that. I don't watch for percentages or anything. Should I?

I may sound light but no one who sees me would say I am skinny. Not fully sure what I am supposed to do so anything that would clarify would be appreciated.

Also, I had heard on another thread that woman under 5 feet should really just be on 1100 per day. Any advice would be welcome. One pound can make such a difference at this height. I want to be 90-92. Sounds so little and I appreciate that it is. Just so much work to get there, not always sure it is worth it.

According to standard BMI charts, you are currently at a low, but healthy weight, and losing those last couple of pounds could put you in the unhealthy zone. If you feel like you really do look overweight at your size, then you may have very low muscle mass. You'd probably benefit from eating more (really) and lifting weights to build muscle mass (you will gain weight, but lose inches) than you will from cutting calories to lose a couple of pounds.
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    1520-1540 usually
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" weigh 145 and I eat between 1400-1500 calories every day. MFP wants me to stay at 1200 but I've done it and even though it works I'm starving and not a very pleasant person.:grumble: I finally upped my calories and so far I've lost 1lb 1 weeks 2.4lbs the second week and this last week I lost 0.8lbs. Hoping for a 1.5lb loss every week.:smile: Hopefully that's how it's going to go.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    5'0, about 155 and I lose consistently on 1500.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    5'0, 1700 calories, which is TDEE-15%. I'm losing 0.8 lbs/week, on average, over the past 9 weeks.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    5'2, here. No exercise: 1200-1450. With exercise: 1300-1500. I have tried both lower and higher, none of them seem to work. I also have PCOS, auto-immune liver disease, lyme disease and a few other bad things.
  • devinbear
    devinbear Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    5'4, 135. I set my goal at 1200 but always eat back exercise calories. I usually end up eating between 1500 and 1600 when eating exercise calories.
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

According to standard BMI charts, you are currently at a low, but healthy weight, and losing those last couple of pounds could put you in the unhealthy zone. If you feel like you really do look overweight at your size, then you may have very low muscle mass. You'd probably benefit from eating more (really) and lifting weights to build muscle mass (you will gain weight, but lose inches) than you will from cutting calories to lose a couple of pounds.