Homemade Whole wheat bread recipes please

Options
jenalexisg
jenalexisg Posts: 3 Member
I'm looking for Homemade Whole wheat bread recipes please.........low in calories preferred.

Replies

• chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My favorite whole wheat bread is James Beard's "Cracked Wheat Bread." It's in his book Beard on Bread, and easily found on the internet. I substitute sorghum instead of molasses. It's not particularly low calorie, but it is very good, and has a good shelf life.

Beyond that, you can do a lot of experimenting around the ration of 5 parts flour to 3 parts water, by weight, plus yeast and salt. This will yield a 60% hydrated bread dough (100% flour, 60% water, 3% yeast, 2% salt), typical among bakers. It's a lean dough - no fat, so it'll meet your low cal goal. But it will also have a short shelf life (as in, maybe a day)

So, you could do it like so: 1000g flour, 600g water, 30g yeast, 20g salt. Add to a bowl in that order, mix with your hands, turn out on a stone/board/counter, knead, rise, shape, rise, bake.

You can play around with types of flour, etc., and adjust the hydration to you tastes and particular flour. Baking temperatures, steam/no steam, toppings, herbal additions, using a sourdough starter, more or less yeast (more is faster, less is tastier), different shapes, pans/no pans, third rise, replacing some water with something with fat and/or flavor (milk, whey, whatever), etc. etc. You'll get different results, but you'll always get decent bread.