Exercise with Torn Ligament?

Options
Hey all!

I just tore a ligament in my knee and the doctor has sentenced me to a month in a knee brace! :( Can anyone point me in the direction of exercises I can do so I don't just sit around and gain weight all month? Thanks!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I just tore a ligament in my knee and the doctor has sentenced me to a month in a knee brace! :( Can anyone point me in the direction of exercises I can do so I don't just sit around and gain weight all month? Thanks!

Fat gain comes from a caloric surplus, so exercise doesn't really matter. What exercises did your doc say you could do?
  • Mama530
    Mama530 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've been in a knee brace for two months now. You can do plenty of core work as well as upper body. I still work my legs, but my class trainer makes some modifications for me. I love boxing, it'll get your heart rate up and you don't have to worry about your knee.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If you HAVE to do something, you can sit and shadow box....But why put stress on your knee and invite the possibility of further injury/longer recovery time...
    Just make sure you eat for a sedentary lifestyle and give your body the rest it needs.....
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    ask your physiotherapist. and ignore your doctor. they suck for rehab.
  • ziggy1490
    ziggy1490 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had two surgeries on my left knee for this. First time I tore my acl and Mcl second time it was just my acl. Which ligament did you tear? This was all within the past 4 years. I had about a 5 month wait time each time before I could get in for surgery. Once the swelling went down I was still working out with my trainer twice a weekend I used a bike instead of running. I was still doing squats and lunges just not as deep. If it hurts stop doing the exercise. I also avoided anything that would cause me to pivot on my knee. If you have any other questions let me know.

Also the first surgery they used a piece of my left hamstring for my acl, the second surgery they used a piece of my right hamstring for the acl.
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? Some gyms have recumbent bikes where you pedal using your arms instead of your legs? I used it for cardio a few years ago when I was rehabbing a hip/lower spine issue. My physical therapist had one too and would have me warm up on it. It definitely gets your heart rate up if you keep up a good intensity.
  • SaBh93
    SaBh93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Let your knee heal completely. Maintain your weight as loosing will be counterproductive- you need to heal it first and foremost.

Log in, eat slightly less than maintenance (-150, -200) as you will be less active. That being said, you will loose some muscle tone on the leg, but when you are out of the brace, it should become alright.

Make sure your doc prescribes special vitamins which help with recovery.

* I tore all the ligaments on my ankle and had to have surgery, it took 5 months for me to start walking, and 7 months without a brace.
  • redtalent
    redtalent Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys! All I know is that I tore the anterior ligament? I have the brace for a month and then possible physical therapy. The doctor said I'm still ok to go to work (in a restaurant) so I'm kind of just using that as my cardio and lifting while sitting at home.