OT - Air conditioning will not blow cold air

Options
NykkieC
NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
Hey everyone!
I thought I'd post this on here real quick - my ac isn't blowing cold air and I know nothing about it to fix it but I thought someone may have some tips for me?

It's a very new unit it was installed right before we moved into the house, it's 3 years old.

I'd rather not call a pro until I absolutely have to as they are very expensive!

Thank you so much for your help in advance :)

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Check breaker at the breaker box make sure it didnt get tripped

Turn it on and see if the outside unit is running

Turn the switch to Fan and turn off the A/C for a few and let the fan run and after about 30min turn it back on and see if that makes a difference, make sure the coil isnt frozen

If that checks out and still no cold air, I am out of ideas
  • NykkieC
    Options

Turn the switch to Fan and turn off the A/C for a few and let the fan run and after about 30min turn it back on and see if that makes a difference, make sure the coil isnt frozen

Thank you! I will do those things and let you know how things turn out.
    I also read somewhere it may just need cleaned?
  • Roboguy
    Roboguy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Is it a window unit or central HVAC?

Either way, it is probably frozen. As stated above. Turn on fan only, no AC and let it run for a while (like 2 hours).
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You might want to open the front and take out and clean the filter. Most of the time they just rinse out. That's all I can think of.
  • NykkieC
    Options
    Rob, it's a central air system.

Thank you gnrshelton I will pick up a new filter too while I'm out.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Thank you! I will do those things and let you know how things turn out.
    I also read somewhere it may just need cleaned?

Might need charged, it could be a number of things
  • tmstp6207
    Options
    Could be frozen or need to be charged
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a page that describes exactly what to do for the problem you described with your central AC.

There are step by step instructions on what to do, and if that doesn't resolve the problem, they say the unit might need to be recharged with refrigerant.

Check it out:

http://www.hometips.com/repair-fix/central-air-conditioner.html

Good luck.
  • NykkieC
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone for their help! I went outside and decided that I should probably wait until my husband gets home, I'm a bit intimidated with it as I'm not much of a mechanic!
  • NykkieC
    Options
    I turned the ac to fan and ran it for awhile and it blew cold air when I switched it back to ac, thank goodness! Thanks again for all of your help!
  • fat_forever
    Options
    I turned the ac to fan and ran it for awhile and it blew cold air when I switched it back to ac, thank goodness! Thanks again for all of your help!

That means that the evaporator coil was frozen. That is an indication that you need to add freon to it (charge the unit.), or the filters need to be cleaned or changed.