Can't find enough to eat!!

Options
I used to eat alot .. obviously. That's why I'm here. However, now that I eat healthy foods .. I'll eat (for example) a decent sized salad and an orange and be completely full but only have ate 80ish calories. But I have to eat at least 1200 to not starve. But once I'm sick full, what else can do? LOL .. Anyone else had this problem? Maybe I need to find other foods that are a tad bit higher in calories but still healthy such as meats to eat???

Replies

• nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Nuts are always a good place to start to add in good calories w/o having to eat a lot of them.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats...fat has 7 calories per gram vs. carbs and protein that only have 4. Add some almonds or walnuts to those salads or a drizzle of olive oil. Have a PB sandwich on whole grain bread and a glass of skim milk (that's a good 350 cals right there).
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    There are tons of healthy, higher-calorie foods to add to your diet. You can add things to your salads like meat (I like both chicken and turkey), beans and avacado. I eat beans with lunch every day - usually plain, but I love mixing a little bit of salsa in with black beans. There are really healthy whole grains like quinoa, barley, etc. that are higher calorie. I got tired of salads, so lately I've been eating wraps - I buy whole grain, 100 calorie wraps made with olive oil - add chicken and some veggies and each wrap ends up being about 200 to 250 calories.

Low-fat dairy (as an alternative to non-fat) has a little higher calories and is still good for you. My 1 cup bowl of yogurt with a little added cinnamon was about 180 calories this morning.

Nuts/seeds are also great high calorie foods - high in fat, but it is healthy fat. I try to get most of my fat each day from nuts/seeds/olive oil, though some does end up coming from dairy and meat.
  • KnightOwl
    Options
    I'm having the same issue! I just dont want to eat that much. I get full eating all my veggies! Plus, because of my schedule I sleep during the day and work at night, so I find myself only eating one big meal a day right before work and then snacking at work (all healthy snacks, of course) and that fills me right up until I go to sleep again. I have been averaging 900 cals a day this week and I'm worried that it's not enough! Will it slow my weight loss instead of speeding it up? Should we be worrying about this? lol :-p
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I'm having the same issue! I just dont want to eat that much. I get full eating all my veggies! Plus, because of my schedule I sleep during the day and work at night, so I find myself only eating one big meal a day right before work and then snacking at work (all healthy snacks, of course) and that fills me right up until I go to sleep again. I have been averaging 900 cals a day this week and I'm worried that it's not enough! Will it slow my weight loss instead of speeding it up? Should we be worrying about this? lol :-p

Yes - not eating *enough* can most definitely stall weight loss. Please read this "classic" post - full of good info on this exact topic. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    There are tons of healthy, higher-calorie foods to add to your diet. You can add things to your salads like meat (I like both chicken and turkey), beans and avacado. I eat beans with lunch every day - usually plain, but I love mixing a little bit of salsa in with black beans. There are really healthy whole grains like quinoa, barley, etc. that are higher calorie. I got tired of salads, so lately I've been eating wraps - I buy whole grain, 100 calorie wraps made with olive oil - add chicken and some veggies and each wrap ends up being about 200 to 250 calories.

Low-fat dairy (as an alternative to non-fat) has a little higher calories and is still good for you. My 1 cup bowl of yogurt with a little added cinnamon was about 180 calories this morning.

Nuts/seeds are also great high calorie foods - high in fat, but it is healthy fat. I try to get most of my fat each day from nuts/seeds/olive oil, though some does end up coming from dairy and meat.

Ahhh, thank you SOOO much for all the ideas. I really appreciate it! & It's so nice of you to give me examples of different foods rather than saying meat, bread, etc. haha. I'm definitely going to try all of what you say ... I've been avoiding walmart for a while and eating what i have but I guess its time to go! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :smile:
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options

Most definitely!!! I just learned that eating is very important and to lose weight you MUST eat .. and when you eat healthy you eat alot haha. If you go without eating enough to equal 1200 calories then your body goes into starvation mode and stores fat and your metabolism will slow down thus causing no lost weight.
  • KnightOwl
    Options

Yes - not eating *enough* can most definitely stall weight loss. Please read this "classic" post - full of good info on this exact topic. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

That article was interesting, but I feel like it just doesn't pertain to me. I'm a very active person. I burn an average of 700 calories a day at the gym. I go at least 5 times a week and most of the time I try to go everyday. I eat TONS of fresh, raw vegetables and fruits, healthy dairy and lean protein. But due to the fact that I'm asleep more than I am awake, I just don't eat that much. Should I still be pushing myself to eat 1200 calories a day?
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    you should throw in some avocado on your salad.
  • erb9921
    erb9921 Posts: 3
    Options
    We started at the same weight and have the same goal weight. I understand your problem and agree with riveraphx...avocados are a great way to add healthy fats and calories to your salad without straying from your diet. Good luck!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

That article was interesting, but I feel like it just doesn't pertain to me. I'm a very active person. I burn an average of 700 calories a day at the gym. I go at least 5 times a week and most of the time I try to go everyday. I eat TONS of fresh, raw vegetables and fruits, healthy dairy and lean protein. But due to the fact that I'm asleep more than I am awake, I just don't eat that much. Should I still be pushing myself to eat 1200 calories a day?

I still say yes - 1200 is considered the bare minimum for most people (women - men typically need more). If you don't eat at least this much, it will be much harder to get adequate nutrition/vitamins/etc. regardless of how healthy you are eating. Especially with that much daily exercise, in the long term, your body just isn't going to feel like it is getting enough fuel to function effectively. You should be aiming to eat 1200 PLUS at least some of your exercise calories.

Really, though, if you're sleeping THAT much (usually 8 hours/night should be adequate), you should see both a doctor and a nutritionist (with proper credentials). I don't know what kind of effect sleeping that much could have on your metabolism or dietary needs, and it could be a sign of a more serious problem.
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options

simple answer is YES! If you are working out your body needs fuel and a 700 cal a day burn is a pretty happening workout routine - I have tried it both ways - working out full bore and not eating but just the recommended (for me 1 lb a week) 1650 calories and I did lose at first but quickly stalled - I even, gasp, actually started putting weight on - I am a hard exerciser like you and some days burn over 1k calories - I started eating the full recommended 1650 and at LEAST, if not all, of my exercises calories back and lost 2 pounds in 2 days - the MFP plan WORKS!!!!!! and it is healthy, increases metabolism, and did I say that it works!!!!!!!!
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options

simple answer is YES! If you are working out your body needs fuel and a 700 cal a day burn is a pretty happening workout routine - I have tried it both ways - working out full bore and not eating but just the recommended (for me 1 lb a week) 1650 calories and I did lose at first but quickly stalled - I even, gasp, actually started putting weight on - I am a hard exerciser like you and some days burn over 1k calories - I started eating the full recommended 1650 and at LEAST, if not all, of my exercises calories back and lost 2 pounds in 2 days - the MFP plan WORKS!!!!!! and it is healthy, increases metabolism, and did I say that it works!!!!!!!!
    As an avid exerciser stop thinking of food as food and start thinking of it a fuel - your car can't run without gas and neither can you
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    """As an avid exerciser stop thinking of food as food and start thinking of it a fuel - your car can't run without gas and neither can you
    [/quote]""""

Well said! :wink:
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    YES It will slow it down! If your body feels that your starving it (900 cals a day IS depriving your body!) if you do that your body holds onto everything you give it instead of burning it as it should.
    As the other posters have said Nuts are great to throw in your salad even an ounce of low fat cheese, or chop up some lunchmeat or left over chicken from last nights dinner and toss it in.
    Bump up those calories girls!! :happy:
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    A few of my very favourites are... nuts (love almonds), nut butters (peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter etc. etc.) on toast, oatmeal, sweet potato (I could write an ode to nut butter, LOL); avocado; olives; olive oil; dukkah; hummus; greek yogurt; roasted chickpeas and broadbeans, quinoa, sweet potato, salmon, bananas, lean sirloin steak... all add goodstuff calories into my diet.

I'd suggest planning your day out to make sure you are adding in enough cals for each meal/snack :)
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Salmon is loaded in healthy fats omega3s and a lot of other great nutrients, it's also pretty high in cals (in my opinion). Also avocados, peanuts and cashews, bananas, potatoes, whole grain breads, and honey. All have relatively high calories but are pretty good for you. :)

Oh and 4 oz dried dates contain 250 calories. "All dates are high in iron and potassium and contain modest amounts of folate and a small amount of vitamin A, and the B vitamins. Dates are beneficial for anemia, constipation and fatigue."

I hope that helps. :)