SLIMpossible!

Options
Well, this is week 1 of "dieting and exercise." It was pretty much an epic FAIL. I started the week off great, eating less and working out on my clothes dryer, i mean treadmill. Then, something in my brain just clicked and all i kept thinking was FOOD, food, FoOd!! I haven't had any sort of exercise since Tuesday I believe and I'm NOT a happy camper. My main problem is a A) portion control & 2) what i'm eating. i almost feel like giving up already because i've done this my whole entire life: i get motivated for about 4 minutes, and fall back into the same routine. ive beat myself up mentally on the treadmill to push myself to keep on going and NOTHING seems to be working. ive spent most of my day today crying and i think when im done here, i just might go and continue to cry about my fat self.:sad:

Replies

• balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Ah chin up! It's ok. You can get through this. :flowerforyou:

If you keep thinking about food, maybe try eating more often but have smaller portions roughly 200-400 calories [depending on your calorie goal for the day and exercise calories] and eat 4-6 times a day. And make sure you're drinking lots of water throughout the day.

By doing this, you eliminate hunger pangs and cravings :smile:

And maybe with your workouts, try not to do too much if you've just started. Just do a little bit more each time you do your exercises to build stamina and endurance. If you push yourself far too hard, you won't want to keep doing it because it's too much. Just ease into it for now, and overtime you'll be on a roll! :wink:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I don't really suggest completely giving up food you love. In fact, you can use that as motivation to exercise more. Studies show that moderation is the key to successful lifestyle changes. Have the food you love, but separate out the portions. Measure them properly before you even put them in a bowl to put them in your mouth. I like to plan out my food the day before and then I exercise enough to make sure I can fit that into my diet. Sometimes I have to run for an hour and a half, but if that means I can enjoy a chicken bake for lunch I'm down!

You want to have a healthy relationship with food. Feeling guilty and/or resenting food is not the way to go! I have to be honest - I HATE working out. I hate being on an elliptical for an hour and not going anywhere. It's boring, it's sweaty and waking up to do that first thing in the morning sucks butt. But I do it because I love food. I do it because I love losing weight. I love feeling good after I shower.

Try waking up early to get your exercise in at the beginning of the day. I find that the later in the day I try and go, the more excuses I come up with to not do it and it makes it even harder - if I get around to it at all.

Now that you're done crying and shedding all that water weight, drink some water and hop on the treadmill for a bit! :D
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Dont give up. If you blow it, just get right back on track. If you blow it and then give up in a yrs time you will be at least 10lbs heavier then when you started. Even if you fail several times a week if you get back on track afterwards everytime. Think about where you will be in a yrs time. At least 10lbs lighter. Which doesnt sound like much but think about where you would be in 5 yrs from now. You could be 10-20lbs heavier in 5 yrs or you could be 10-40lbs lighter in 5 yrs. So just stick with it , do the best you can and NEVER give up.

Next time I feel like giving up I need to come read my own advice. LOL
  • Zita_Jenn
    Zita_Jenn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    First off, here is a HUG for you. It isn't easy to stay motivated or stick with healthy eating. You need to have the will power to do so. All we can do is encourage you and give you the support you need. You need to eat 6 healthy meals a day.

For Daily Servings it is read in my Nutrition Guide book:

Daily Servings Weekly Servings
    4 fruit 5+ beans
    5 Vegetables 5 nuts
    3-6 whole grains 2 fish
    2-3 high-calcium foods
    8 glasses of water

Measuring Servings
    Vegetables and Fruit one serving is equal to:
    1 med. piece of fruit
    1/2 c chopped fruit
    1/2 c cooked or raw veggie
    1 c raw green leaves
    3/4 c of vegetable or fruit juice

Whole Grains serving is equal to:
    1 slice whole wheat bread
    1/2c cooked brown rice or bulgur
    1/2c cooked whole wheat past

High-Calcium Foods one serving is equal to:
    1c fat-free or 1% milk
    1c fat-free or low-fat yogurt
    1 c calcium-fortified orange juice
    1 oz reduced-fat cheese

Beans one serving is equal to:
    1/2 c cooked beans/lentils

Nuts one serving is equal to:
    2 tbsp chopped

Fish one serving is equal to:
    3 oz cooked

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helps. If you do crave for something, have it but limit yourself. Will Power is the key. And we are all here to help you. Hang in there, You will succeed.
  • sarah6207
    Options
    thanks for all the support guys! i started my fitness pal because who else can i turn to? my mom is overweight but isn't as serious about losing weight ATM so i found other people who are just like me and just want to be happy, healthy and free! the few friends i did have were rail thin and i could have been thin also if i kept using drugs on a daily basis. i've come a long way in these past few months. from staying sober (with a few minor relapses in-between) to getting my love life in check to buying a condo w/ my family and long-term boyfriend. i've always been very pessimistic so maybe i need to look at the good things happening in my life, focus more on my goals and just learn to live! thank you and i love you all!! xoxo

sarah_maybach:)
  • Susan821
    Options
    Thanks for posting Sarah. I thought I was the only one who got motivated for four minutes and then gave up! I start off every day thinking it's a new beginning but usually fail by midday and then start again. I have a serious lack of motivation. The only thing I can think of is wearing clothes that I haven't worn in a while. Lack of motivation is my real problem too.
  • Becs25
    Becs25 Posts: 79
    Options
    Would really love to join your group.
  • beckac26
    beckac26 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me, if I think I'm on a diet - I always want to eat more. So now, I changed the way I eat and my lifestyle and it is a lot easier. Don't think of this as a diet - it's a lifestyle change. Good luck!
  • stephaniee36
    Options
    i weighed in on Monday but forgot to send the info in. I gained 1lb, up to 182