Protein powder, do I need it?

Options
TMcChamp
TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
SO as the topic suggests, Do I NEED protein powder? I have about 2.5 kg left to lose but have upped my exercise intensity and will be adding more weight/toning, so just wondering if you recommend i get some or just get protein from my foods?

TIA

Replies

• MetricButtload
    Options
    The source of protein really doesn't matter much. Protein powder is more a matter of convenience and caloric efficiency so to speak. It saves time and effort and you can limit the calorie intake to almost exclusively protein , rather than protein mixed w/ other energy sources (carbs, fats) in your food. So, if you have calories to spare and time to prepare food, it tastes better and is more satisfying than a protein supplement. If you are on the go or have limited calories available in which to get your protein, go for the supplement. One caveat would be, try to stay away from soy or raw egg as protein sources,. Egg protein is not metabolized well when raw, but is excellent when cooked. Soy protein is one of the more difficult sources of protein for your body to digest and its bio-availability is less than ideal when compared to other protein sources
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Get your protein from your food.

Be careful about how much extra protein. What many people don't realize is that if you don't need the protein, your body will have to get rid of it which puts additional strain on your kidneys. And I've heard of some young people who have been on a regime of protein supplements who have then suffered from renal failure. Most people in "first world" countries already eat more protein than they actually need. If you are in any doubt, you should consult your family doctor or a qualified dietitian.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • TMcChamp
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I am happy to keep going with protein from food :) I was just wondering as many people comment on protein shakes and powder so was worried i wasn't getting enough.

BLERGH could not do raw egg! Have chickens so will boil up some eggs. Thanks
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't get anough protein in and I've recently had to cut out eggs so I've just bought my first protein powder because I do make smoothies for breakfast or a snack so it's a nice way to sneak some extra in.

I guess the best advice is to figure out your macros and see if you need more protein in your diet. If so, then a powder is a good way to go if you can't seem to get it via food.

(I couldn't find the source regarding eggs, so I've deleted my comment)
  • pjones239sld
    pjones239sld Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tried protein powder twice, one recommended for slimming and it stalled my weight loss both times, I would stick to getting it from food to avoid the extra sugars.
  • TMcChamp
    Options
    I don't get anough protein in and I've recently had to cut out eggs (I've found I'm anemic and eggs decrease yoru iron absorbtion by up to 60%!) so I've just bought my first protein powder because I do make smoothies for breakfast or a snack so it's a nice way to sneak some extra in.

I guess the best advice is to figure out your macros and see if you need more protein in your diet. If so, then a powder is a good way to go if you can't seem to get it via food.

Interesting, I don't eat much meat (only chicken and fish) and was told to eat egg yolks as they contain as much iron as a chop, however you need to have a source of vit c with it to aid absorption.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Get what you can from food but if you need help in meeting your protien for your macros then a shake is a way to go I use them all the time just make sure it is a decent protein does not have fillers in it somethinlike mts whey cellucor or
    optimum nutrition I go for 1 graham of protein per pound of body weight and to have kidney issues with protein you would have to be going in a crazy amount like always hiting 600 grams of it and you are not trying to train for my Olympia so you are fine
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    no.
    probably don't need it.
  • esme1983
    esme1983 Posts: 60
    Options
    It's something that people will never agree on. However, having done a fair bit of research - a *pure* whey protein shake after exercise seems to be accepted as a pretty positive thing to be doing. I'm taking casein before bed too but not sure if it has any effect - just following coaches orders :)

I think cases of people having "too much" protein are fairly extreme and not really something we need to worry about as average weightwatchers consuming 100-200g of protein a day.
  • MetricButtload
    Options
    This seems purely anecdotal. My weight loss improved when I started use use protein supplements. There is a world of evidence that protein supplements will not stall weight loss. Please don't a single experience as a reason for someone else to follwo your lead.
  • MetricButtload
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. Likely people who had kidney trouble, already had kidney issues and this simply highlighted it. This is a very extreme, uncommon scenario and is not a good reason to be offered up as advice. A person supplementing once or twice a day is going to be just fine. Hysterics are really a disservice to what people are trying to do here.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    To be fair you probably don't 'need' it, but I've found it helps my muscles recover from exercise. I ache far less the next day, which is never a bad thing!:D
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED it but I have found that a shake in the morning is convenient and surprisingly filling. I eat/drink my breakfast on the way to the gym which usually consists of 2 sccops of Natures Bounty Chocolate protein powder. with PB2 (a dried peanut butter without most of the fat and still has the protein and is only 45 calories for 2 tbsp) and milk. That and a banana :flowerforyou: . It keeps me full until about 12:30pm and after exercising for about 2+ hours.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    No.

I am using a bit because I got some ultra cheap so I take it instead of a yoghurt.
  • MD22276
    MD22276 Posts: 1
    Options
    a *pure* whey protein shake after exercise seems to be accepted as a pretty positive thing to be doing. I'm taking casein before bed too but not sure if it has any effect - just following coaches orders :)

I think cases of people having "too much" protein are fairly extreme and not really something we need to worry about as average weightwatchers consuming 100-200g of protein a day.

I believe this is correct. The point of the whey isolate powder is for post work out recovery because it is absorbed so fast into the bloodstream. Casein is absorbed slowly so its perfect for bedtime. Casein can be found in cottage cheese and some of these new Greek yogurts; so the point of the casein powder is to avoid digestion issues associated with dairy if you have them.

If your trying to trim down then idea is to preserve your lean muscle mass. 1 gram per pound of lean body weight is sort of a rule of thumb as a minimum. Unless you have some existing renal problem this will not hurt you. If you have an existing renal insufficiency or you are currently taking NSAIDs (prescription or over the counter) more than one aspirin/day, then limit your protein intake and don't use any protein supplement. So start there and adjust your intake depending on achieving some goal like a body fat % or some performance measurement like maintaining a certain level of strength or speed.
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've recently started using protein shakes as I am losing muscle mass rather than body fat. Being dairy, gluten, and egg intolerant it's been hard finding a mix. So, soy protein it has to be. One portion a day over 2 weeks, with the same exercise regime as before, seems to have arrested the muscle wastage.

So, for me, a soy protein mix with almond milk looks like its going to be a real help.