Is walking even excercise? can you lose weight

Options
13»

Replies

• dlanoux
    dlanoux Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Walking will do it! I'm just really getting started, but all I was doing for cardio (until two weeks ago) was walking. By walking, strength training with weights, and dieting, I dropped over 20 pounds in about 6 weeks. Now, I am alternating between walking and the elliptical for my cardio. :smile:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Walking is definitely exercise. I do over 20km of just walking each day. I can eat what I want cause I actually walk so much, and I'm not gaining at all.

I started off by walking. I walk so much all day cause of a back injury that wont let me sit down at all. Walking is great, plus it means if you walk everywhere then shopping is a breeze, I walk 23km to get mascara, 17km for a light globe, 10km just to grab some sushi.
  • purplepiggy1
    Options
    It's all about the numbers, as long as you control your cal intake it will work well.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Fitness and Exercise
    Topic: Is walking even excercise? can you lose weight
    BUMP
  • pjones239sld
    pjones239sld Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Walking really does work, at least 30 minutes a day at a pace high enough to raise you pulse rate,that and good diet helped me lose 50 lbs last year.
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight so far with calorie counting, walking and light weight training.... so yes you can.
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain in my knee which has reduced a bit over time with my 35lb weight loss so far.

And guess how I started getting active and dropping the weight?

You guess it yet?

Walking!!

But you can't walk like you're walking around a store, actually move with a purpose and you'll break a sweat for sure :)

Edit: And now that my endurance is higher I'm getting into running, something I never though I'd do!!!
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I have rheumatoid arthritis so I'm very limited with exercise. I would love to be able to run, but my knees and ankles just aren't strong enough. So I walk...and I try to walk every day. I love it, put my headphones on and I'm off. Walking combined with eating at a calorie deficit and I have lost a total of 43 pounds (I know my ticker says 37 but I actually started out 6 pounds heavier before I started MFP). I've done this since January...and I'm VERY confident I can keep it up!
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump....I love walking too.....
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Walkingis good for the heart! I walk six miles a day! Fresh air and free exercise, what more could you want?!
  • LivDiz
    LivDiz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blt0087
    blt0087 Posts: 115
    Options
    I lost around 50lbs just by walking in 2011 (then gained some back and only recently lost it again). I had two jobs and no car so I would walk close to 10mi everyday. I worked as a waitress at a pizza restaurant and a cashier at another pizza place (ugh..pizza), so I was constantly on my feet from 9am to 11pm.

One time I downloaded a pedometer app and by 6pm had taken 24,000 steps, and I wasn't even halfway through my shift! Unfortunately my phone died so I never got to figure out how many steps I would take in a day.