Gluten Free Foods

Options
Hey guys,

I've recently found out that I'm a Celiac :( Are there any others out there like me?

I've had to drastically change around my diet to foods without gluten and I'm finding it quite hard. I've been into bodybuilding for the last two years and I don't want to let my progress suffer because of this.

Foods that I now eat on a daily basis are:

Basmati Rice
Peanut and Cashew Butter
Coconut Oil
Ground Turkey
Ground Mince

It sucks that I can't eat oats and wheat pasta anymore, I used to love them!

Are there any other non boring gluten foods out there than I can mix into my diet?

Also I need an alternative to oats for breakfast in the morning. It's something I used to eat every day and without oats I don't have as much energy throughout the day.

Thanks.

Replies

• SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Buckwheat pasta, corn products, farro, quinoa, barley, chickpea flour, almond meal, beans, legumes
  • kaitlyn963741
    Options
    you can buy certified gluten free oats! I have celiac and enjoy them almost every morning, or you could try quinoa flakes (usually in the baking aisle) You should also try adding some more fruits to your diet as they are yummy and always gluten free!
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hey I follow a diet called FODMAP (well 99% of the time) and that has gluten and wheat free. You can buy gluten free products, they're expensive - but honestly, that just makes me more cautious not to over eat them! They have muesli with gluten free oats.
    Good luck! It's the horrible stage of getting used to reading EVERY label that is hard, but once you know what you can eat it soon becomes easier. You can even by gluten free pizza bases and make really healthy pizza for treat day. Also Spelt flour is brilliant for making your own things xx
  • Seefy7
    Seefy7 Posts: 11
    Options
    Helpful. Thanks :)
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love pasta, too, and I've found that rice noodles (mei fun) can make a great gluten-free substitution while not coming with the gluten-free price tag. Of course, it's good for Chinese noodle dishes, but I've used it for Italian-style pasta quite a bit. You can buy them in either white or brown rice varieties.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosed as well. I've been making a lot of Asian ethnic foods, being careful to read labels, of course! You can get gluten-free oats (in North America, Bob's red mill are GF and available everywhere, but they also do non-certified, so check the label).

I picked up some millet and buckwheat (not a grain, but a seed) to add variety to quinoa and rice as grains with meals.

I'm trying to stay away from gf breads and baked products, but when I was newly vegetarian, I used 'fake meat' quite a bit while habits adjusted. Maybe the same thing could apply to you? Brown rice pasta etc....
  • toludc
    toludc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I write a blog that includes gluten free recipes in case you wanna take a look

www.sweetenoughthanks.wordpress.com