1190 calories?

Options
Hi, I was reading this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

which suggests that instead of following the MFP suggestion to only eat 1200 calories per day, I should find my MBR and eat 20% less than that.

Using this website ( http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/245588.php ) I found that my MBR is 1488 calories. 20% less than this would be 1190 calories.

So, should I set my goal net calorie intake at 1190 (plus any exercise calories which I accrue)?

Thanks.

Replies

• _CrepeSuzette_
    _CrepeSuzette_ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Actually you are calculating the BMR: Basal Methabolic Rate, you are referring to TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure (the calories you burn daily doing all the routine activities).
    For weight loss, the directions say to eat TDEE - 20% (not RMR/BMR - 20% :smile: ).
    1400Kcal are your BMR.
    If you follow the article you linked, you have to multiply the BMR for a factor depending on your activity level to find the TDEE :wink: .
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Actually you are calculating the BMR: Basal Methabolic Rate, you are referring to TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure (the calories you burn daily doing all the routine activities).
    For weight loss, the directions say to eat TDEE - 20% (not RMR/BMR - 20% :smile: ).
    1400Kcal are your BMR.
    If you follow the article you linked, you have to multiply the BMR for a factor depending on your activity level to find the TDEE :wink: .

This!
  • scrttwtt
    scrttwtt Posts: 30
    Options
    Ah, that puts me at 1428. That's much more reasonable! Thank you:)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

That seems pretty low still, do you exercise?
  • scrttwtt
    scrttwtt Posts: 30
    Options

That seems pretty low still, do you exercise?

I do between 45 and 90 minutes of walking most days, and add this to my calculator (an extra 160 - 320 calories), and will eat extra to make up for it, but the rest of the time I am sitting in an office or at home.
  • fulvio87
    fulvio87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i think 1400 cal should be allright then...it's still a lot of food if you keep it clean and remember to watch your macros :) good luck with your journey!