unbelievable weight changes.

Options
I am really confused about the way my weight changes through the course of the week,

i know not everyone records daily but its the only way i can feel like im keeping tabs.

last week my weight was

monday 100.3kg
Tuesday 107.1kg
wednesday 103 kg (the day i record on here each week)
thursday 108.8kg
friday 105kg
saturday 98kg
sunday 107.4kg
monday (today) 106.6kg

how can i actually tell what my weight is?

fluctuations of a stone even in water is 7 litres?

does anyone else experience something similar to this?

Replies

• tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Sodium. Track your sodium...and dont use "quick add calories" cos it doesnt add your macro. But even without seeing your sodium i can see you eat a decent amount of it (bacon, processed foods)...thats what leads to the big fluctuations. But be aware everyone fluctuates on a daily and even hourly basis...dependent on things like...sodium, hydration levels, hormones, stress levels etc
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Tracking sodium is a great suggestion! But I would actually look into the scale you are using- the fluctuations seem extraordinarily big.
  • serioustuff
    Options
    Tracking sodium is a great suggestion! But I would actually look into the scale you are using- the fluctuations seem extraordinarily big.

TOTALLY AGREE XX
  • Ninhydrin
    Ninhydrin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Aside from the sodium suggestions, it sounds a lot like your scale might not be as reliable as you think.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    This is how sad I am with my scales, I have a particular spot in the bathroom where i put the scales, so there won't be any changes due to irregular floor etc.... Oh and weigh myself everyday but before breakfast.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'd watch your salt and stop weighing everyday as that way madness lies
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    well this is only 1 weeks, i originally thought it was my scales, so i now weigh myself on the scales at the gym, they are calibrated etc.

i originally thought sodium and water retention but the fluctuations are absolutely wild.

may have to see what my GP says... just find it confusing as to what i actually weigh.

if it makes it any better, my average weight is on a downward trend (lost 8KG in 10 weeks)
  • lilimini
    lilimini Posts: 56
    Options
    This is how sad I am with my scales, I have a particular spot in the bathroom where i put the scales, so there won't be any changes due to irregular floor etc.... Oh and weigh myself everyday but before breakfast.

I do the exact same thing! I know which places in our apartment have a flat area, and which areas to avoid setting down the scale.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    well this is only 1 weeks, i originally thought it was my scales, so i now weigh myself on the scales at the gym, they are calibrated etc.

i originally thought sodium and water retention but the fluctuations are absolutely wild.

may have to see what my GP says... just find it confusing as to what i actually weigh.

if it makes it any better, my average weight is on a downward trend (lost 8KG in 10 weeks)

Only go by the trend. It is the only thing important.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I can gain 3-4 kilos (6.6-8.8 pounds) in a day or two...simply from sodium...so I dont think the fluctuations are that strange. But it wouldnt hurt to get the docs to do some blood work to check everything :)
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Make sure you weigh in the same spot, at the same time of the day. I noticed my scale reads differently on hardwood, tile, and bathmat. So just make sure you're being consistent and your scale is being consistent. And only weigh once a week or so if you can. Weight naturally fluctuates. I can go anywhere from 3-5lb difference from day to day. Easier to keep track of if you're not obsessing over the scale and checking it every day. Make sure you stay hydrated as well.
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options

But, from the original post, I see a difference of over 10 kg within a couple days- I agree that the overall matters, but I ran the conversion- over a 20lb difference in a few days!? Even factoring water weight, cheat days, clothing, etc, it seems near impossible to fluctuate that much. And "calibrated" scales can have malfunctions too. I have fluctuated up to 5lbs- about 2.5 kgs, in a couple days while WILDLY changing diet/exercise- this still puzzles me. Try another scale still, if this is still going on, I would consult a doctor.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I think it's your scale too. I had a digital scale that would weigh different every single time I stepped on it. In the end I dragged a big concrete paving stone up from the garden and put it on the bathroom floor with the scale sitting on top. After that the scale weighed accurately each time - it needed a solid foundation to sit on.
  • cherilyn666
    cherilyn666 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Your diet, my friend, is a nightmare.

It consists entirely of sweet drinks and processed foods.

I am sure you know that, but eating like that you will not lose weight/cholesterol, etc.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You're also weighing the food you ate because you don't expel everything from the day before. So that's why it's best to just weigh one day per week at the most and always at the same time after using the bathroom