ideas for breakfast please

Options
I am bored of porridge! I used to enjoy it but now I am bored of the same thing every day and find myself having a bowl of sugary cereals instead which I don't really want either. I fancy something like meusli, fruit and natural yoghurt, but I know most meusli cereals are so high in fat/sugar you would barely get a spoonful before being way up there in calories. Does anyone know of any good brands to try? I live in UK so needs to be available off the shelf in most supermarkets.

Replies

• AbdicoVeritas
    Options
    Oats with (or without) banana
    Yes there's quite a few cals in there but it'll keep you satiated for quite some time.
    Eggs are a good option too, or some greek yoghurt with fruit.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Two whole egg omlet with a couple of chopped mushrooms, courgettes (zuchinni) and little bit of onion or spring onion and about 20 grams of cheese. Served with two rivita originals:) I zap veg in microwave for about a minute then use in the omlet with the cheese.

Bliss.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The Dorset cereals range is great - lots of good things rather than added sugar. They taste like the sort you might make for yourself if you lived in a health-food shop!
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I like spinach, mushroom, egg cups. You make them in a muffin pan, the recipe makes about 10 good size cups. They freeze well, and all you have to do is pop them in the microwave for a few minutes. High in protein, low in calories.
  • toxifloxi
    toxifloxi Posts: 2
    Options
    I always have a (lowcarb) pancake, greek yoghurt and some self made marmelade on top. Keeps me full until lunch, and tastes very good. Also satisfies my need for sweet food for the day :smile:
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You could make your own museli. I've just found this recipe online which makes 30 servings at 177 calories each: http://breakfast.food.com/recipe/muesli-low-fat-low-gi-diabetic-319428 but if you type 'low calorie museli recipe' into a search engine you'll get loads of alternatives!
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    What about "overnight refrigerator oatmeal" i think there is a thread on here somewhere but you can find the recipe on Google, it's really yummy!!
  • serioustuff
    Options
    weetabix with banana and strawberries - I swear by it :P Ran outta strawberries today tho - Booo!
  • Ninhydrin
    Ninhydrin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also really love egg muffins. My recipe calls for 1 egg per muffin, beaten with a little bit of milk (the same way you'd make standard scrambled eggs), with some herbs and spices and any lightly sauteed vegetables (I usually opt for onions and red and yellow peppers with mushroom).

Spray the non-stick pan with some olive oil spray. Put a teaspoon of the sauteed vegetables in the bottom of each muffin well, pour the milk and egg mixture over that. Bake at 180C for about 15 minutes and can be kept in the fridge for days on end. Re-heat in the microwave for 30 seconds in the morning.

You can also sprinkle some cheese in there if you don't mind the added calories.