Any anemics who have been able to control it via diet only?

Options
I've recenly learned that I'm anemic and I have been prescribed iron tablet but they are doing a number on my stomach/intestinal track so I'd like to try to do this via diet alone.

The problem is, I am reading so much conflicting information on good sources of iron, heme and non-heme iron sources, and the best way to get it absorbed that it seems impossible to do this via diet alone. For instance, some sites say eggs are great for it, then I've read two sources saying "avoid eggs, they decrease the absorbtion by up to 60%), now this morning I read that spinach is not a good source, as it's not absorbed well, but other leafy greens are. Another site said the iron absorbed from eating spinach is more than likely from trace elements of dirt left on the leaves rather than the spinach itself. Seriously!

So if you've been able to increase your iron by diet alone, can you please let me know your secret to success?

Replies

• seximammi
    seximammi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hi ive been anemic most of my life and ive bn on all iron tablets, I don't take them any more I control it with diet, I try to eat plenty of nuts and dried fruit like apricots and leafy vegetables like spring cabbage, cereal is good and dark chocolate are good but u also need to have plenty of vitamin c so ur body can take in the iron, I eat kiwis and drink orange juice. my iron levels have bn good since ive started controlling it with diet. I eat red meat bt don't like liver, I eat chicken especially the dark meat and pork which is high In iron hope this has helped
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was anaemic with my first pregnancy and found iron to be very irritating to my stomach. What I did and what I advised other women to do who were anaemic (I was a midwife at the time) was to buy something called Spatone.
    Spatone is natural iron enriched water. You add a sachet to some fresh fruit juice and drink it. It has no taste and no side effects other than bringing your iron levels right up. I drank two a day. You can buy boxes of spatone in health food shops or online at ebay or amazon.
    Of course make sure your diet is good as well, leafy greens, red meats, eggs, good cereal

But yeah, Spatone... amazing. Get some! :smile:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    The iron in dark chocolate is more readily absorbed than that in spinach (daft but there you go!) Steak and sausages are also good sources of iron. I understand iron from animal products is generally more readily absorbed than iron from vegetable sources because human digestions are evolved differently from herbivore digestions.
  • keina629
    keina629 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Milk isn't great for iron absorption, neither is anything with phosphate in it.
    Also, tannins and lots of fibre can decrease it's absorption.

Ascorbic acid which is found in Vitamin C (and i'm sure some other foods) is a good way of increasing it though!

Good luck :)
  • ciral
    ciral Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with lisamarie1780 on recommending Spatone.

I suffer from an anemia and I've tried so many different iron tablets but never found the right ones. At last I tried Spatone.

I get no absolutely no adverse effects from Spatone (I take two sachets daily) but my levels are now normal. Drinking in a little juice to mask the metallic taste makes it painless to take too.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You didn't say if it was Iron Deficiency anaemia ?

You can have low Haemoglobin with ample iron in your blood, in which case supplementing your intake does no good. I'm one of them (microcytic anaemia - small red blood cells).
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    are you able to absorb iron,but just not getting enough?

I managed to raise my hemoglobin by diet only, this was a long time ago so I am basing my advice on what i did THEN. It is possible that advice/research has changed. I ate a lot of meat, turkey, liver, eggs, green leafy veg, and made sure to have something with vit C in every meal (you don't need a lot - even 1/4 cup of OJ or a few slices of tomato).
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You didn't say if it was Iron Deficiency anaemia ?

You can have low Haemoglobin with ample iron in your blood, in which case supplementing your intake does no good. I'm one of them (microcytic anaemia - small red blood cells).

yes, it is due to low iron, thanks for checking!
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Options

I managed to raise my hemoglobin by diet only, this was a long time ago so I am basing my advice on what i did THEN. It is possible that advice/research has changed. I ate a lot of meat, turkey, liver, eggs, green leafy veg, and made sure to have something with vit C in every meal (you don't need a lot - even 1/4 cup of OJ or a few slices of tomato).

I assume I am able to absorb it but am not certain, the doctor didn't say. My mother and sister are also anemic, so I assume it is inherited.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I forget about the Vit C to go along with it and I will be sure to look for the Spatone, although I'm not sure if I can get them in the Netherlands.

While I'm asking, did any of you have problems with dizzy spells while exercising when your iron was low? When I do HIIT I do have to have longer rest periods inbetween sets, as I do get dizzy.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others who say to try spatone. I've never had any adverse effects from it. Its in Holland and barrats here in the uk
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I assume I am able to absorb it but am not certain, the doctor didn't say. My mother and sister are also anemic, so I assume it is inherited.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I forget about the Vit C to go along with it and I will be sure to look for the Spatone, although I'm not sure if I can get them in the Netherlands.

While I'm asking, did any of you have problems with dizzy spells while exercising when your iron was low? When I do HIIT I do have to have longer rest periods inbetween sets, as I do get dizzy.

Buy it online if you don't have it in the shops, you can get it fairly cheap :smile:
  • ColeAXE
    ColeAXE Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm also anemic. I do have problems with dizzy spells while exercising when my iron is low. But this only happens when I forget to refill my tablets. And orange juice often helps. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll also have to check if we have to check if we have Spatone in South Africa.
  • sarajcurrie
    Options
    Spatone - I used this when I was pregnant, at the moment I'm taking a multi vitamin that contains both iron and vitamin c. I avoid drinking tea when taking any form of iron as it inhibits absorbsion. Hope this helps.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Options
    Spatone - I used this when I was pregnant, at the moment I'm taking a multi vitamin that contains both iron and vitamin c. I avoid drinking tea when taking any form of iron as it inhibits absorbsion. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I've found it available here already so that's really great news. I've stopped with coffee and tea, as I've read they both inhibit absorbtion (as does dairy).
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Options
    I'm also anemic. I do have problems with dizzy spells while exercising when my iron is low. But this only happens when I forget to refill my tablets. And orange juice often helps. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll also have to check if we have to check if we have Spatone in South Africa.

okay, good, it's not just me with the dizziness. I've been taking the iron (not religiously) for just a week or so, so hopefully the dizzy spells will decrease as my iron increased. Thanks for that!