Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is walking even excercise? can you lose weight

13»

Replies

• dlanoux
    dlanoux Posts: 112 Member
    Walking will do it! I'm just really getting started, but all I was doing for cardio (until two weeks ago) was walking. By walking, strength training with weights, and dieting, I dropped over 20 pounds in about 6 weeks. Now, I am alternating between walking and the elliptical for my cardio. :smile:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Walking is definitely exercise. I do over 20km of just walking each day. I can eat what I want cause I actually walk so much, and I'm not gaining at all.

I started off by walking. I walk so much all day cause of a back injury that wont let me sit down at all. Walking is great, plus it means if you walk everywhere then shopping is a breeze, I walk 23km to get mascara, 17km for a light globe, 10km just to grab some sushi.
  • It's all about the numbers, as long as you control your cal intake it will work well.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Fitness and Exercise
    Topic: Is walking even excercise? can you lose weight
    BUMP
  • pjones239sld
    pjones239sld Posts: 9 Member
    Walking really does work, at least 30 minutes a day at a pace high enough to raise you pulse rate,that and good diet helped me lose 50 lbs last year.
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    I have lost weight so far with calorie counting, walking and light weight training.... so yes you can.
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    I have chronic pain in my knee which has reduced a bit over time with my 35lb weight loss so far.

And guess how I started getting active and dropping the weight?

You guess it yet?

Walking!!

But you can't walk like you're walking around a store, actually move with a purpose and you'll break a sweat for sure :)

Edit: And now that my endurance is higher I'm getting into running, something I never though I'd do!!!
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Definitely! I have rheumatoid arthritis so I'm very limited with exercise. I would love to be able to run, but my knees and ankles just aren't strong enough. So I walk...and I try to walk every day. I love it, put my headphones on and I'm off. Walking combined with eating at a calorie deficit and I have lost a total of 43 pounds (I know my ticker says 37 but I actually started out 6 pounds heavier before I started MFP). I've done this since January...and I'm VERY confident I can keep it up!
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Bump....I love walking too.....
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Walkingis good for the heart! I walk six miles a day! Fresh air and free exercise, what more could you want?!
  • LivDiz
    LivDiz Posts: 8 Member
    bump
  • blt0087
    blt0087 Posts: 115
    I lost around 50lbs just by walking in 2011 (then gained some back and only recently lost it again). I had two jobs and no car so I would walk close to 10mi everyday. I worked as a waitress at a pizza restaurant and a cashier at another pizza place (ugh..pizza), so I was constantly on my feet from 9am to 11pm.

One time I downloaded a pedometer app and by 6pm had taken 24,000 steps, and I wasn't even halfway through my shift! Unfortunately my phone died so I never got to figure out how many steps I would take in a day.