Exercising early in the morning

Options
I have to exercise in the morning, because it's getting way too hot here in Arizona. I have some constraints because of work at the moment though, like having to be back by 5:00 to get ready. I'd prefer at least an hour of rollerblading, but getting up at 4:00 to want to go rollerblading seems exhausting. Are there recommendations? Do i need to get up at 3:30 to wake myself up?

Thank you!

Replies

• MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I get up at ~5.00 am, trying to go for 4.30/4.45. I need time in the morning to (ahem) get things moving. so i have my coffee (cold, made the night before), toilet, shower, etc. try try try to be out the door by 6, don't always make it.

My gym opens at 5.30, it's about 12-15 min walk from my house. I have to be out of the gym by 8 to make it to work on time (9). I've been trying to get tehre by 5.30-6.00 which gives me enough time to do the workout i want and have time to shower and dress.

is it exhausting? well yes and no. Getting a workout first thing in the morning is very energizing to me. As a matter of fact, my office mate gets annoyed at how perky and happy i am in the morning :explode: lol. I am fine all day, i tend to droop around 3-4 o'clock but that would happen anyway. The down side is that i HAVE to get to sleep early.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    just exercise when you can.
    sure rollerblading at 4 am isn't the most enjoyable thing ever, but it's gotta get done.

can you find 30-40 minutes late in the evening to exercise?
    If not you could always do a short session in the morning, then an indoor workout in the evening.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can squeeze something in in the evenings? You don't have to get up at 3 a.m. to roller blade at 4. Set the alarm for 3:45 and hit snooze once.

My alarm is set for 4:45. I hit snooze once and get up 9 min. later. We are at the gym by 5:30 a.m. because our friend has to be out by 7. Is it tough? Yes but once you get into the habit it's not that hard.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I love morning workouts. If you force yourself to get up and exercise in the morning it will eventually become a habit and you get used to it. It is a great feeling walking into work having already gotten my run in. It gives me more time in the evenings to get housework done and spend time with my husband.
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 4am every morning and I'm out the door by ~ 4.20- t o get to my gym shower etc before work starts at 6. I drink my coffee (black and strong!) on the way in my car.

Personally, if I left my workouts till night time it would never happen as I am exhausted after working all day and getting kids home from school etc. you have to find out what works for you. If you are going to give it a try make sure you get plenty of sleep, exercise without enough rest time is a recipe for exhaustion. Good luck!
  • jadisfeigns
    jadisfeigns Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions! I already have my alarm clock ready for 3:45, because I want to have that 15 minutes to "wake up". But i definitely want to work out in the morning. And sleep is definitely a must. Thank you all :)