Which kettlebell exercises are best to blast fat?

I'm trying to cut fat and I was convinced that kettle bells (paired with my current lifting routine) and a clean diet (maybe a FEW minimum slip ups, but I've vegetarian so I eat pretty well regardless) would be the best way to do that. I eat a little under my TDEE (-20%) and lift 3 times a week and bike on my off days. Now, I've never used kettle bells before so I'm not too sure which would be the most effective exercises. I want to mostly target my tummy and back, but I know you can't spot reduce, obviously. So what moves are the best for overall toning and improving?

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRpbM9nzDcM

scale it down to your level, meaning use KB's of various weights, modified burpees and push ups, and take your time and take breaks.

the first time i did this work out it took me almost an hour, and i used three different kb's.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Your deficit is going to be responsible for your losing body fat (what you call "toning."). There is no exercise that's going to do that, although the lifting will help you hold on to the muscle you have right now.

High intensity exercises with weights are a good way to combine cardio and strength. I do a lot of kettlebell ballistics like swings and snatches. But if you've never touched a kettlebell, you should not get anywhere near snatches yet. I would try to find a certified kettlebell instructor to teach you how to do swings properly. The risk for injury is high if you're using a heavy weight (which you should be ... start with 8 to 12 kg/18 to 26 lbs for swings) and don't have proper form. But swings are fantastic for HIIT, and you can find some good stuff on YouTube to get you started. Look up Neghar Fonooni, Marianne Kane, Jen Sinkler, and Keira Newton.
  • lurcstet
    lurcstet Posts: 77
    Agree with jq2122

Kettlebells are a fantastic fat burner. I stength train on splits 3 times per week, and previously added cardio and boxing. But in the last few years I have moved more to adding kettlebell routines inbetween my lifting days to burn fat and built conditioning.

As stated in jq2122's post, kettlebells need to be used correctly. Good, correct form is vital, because injury is a high risk if used incorrectly. But dont let this put you off. Get some good kettlebell tuition and give them a go and stay clear of the snatch until your competent. I've been training with them for a couple of years and only now am I comfortable with the snatch.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    I found some guy named Ryan Raw who does KB but I'm not sure how reliable he is? I'm excited to start this. Would is be better to do KB on my lifting days or in the days in between after cardio/biking?
  • lurcstet
    lurcstet Posts: 77
    You can incorporate KB's into lifting regimes, such as curls and extentions and they do cring a different dynamic to lifting due to the off centre weight balance.

However, I would look to use them more for conditioning and high intensity training in between you lifting days.

Whoever you choose as a KB trainer, check their credentials and make sure they are qualified to an appropriate KB organisation.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    You can incorporate KB's into lifting regimes, such as curls and extentions and they do cring a different dynamic to lifting due to the off centre weight balance.

However, I would look to use them more for conditioning and high intensity training in between you lifting days.

Whoever you choose as a KB trainer, check their credentials and make sure they are qualified to an appropriate KB organisation.
    A trainer at my local Y is certified (she is like my aunt) and I think I'd want to do it as HIIT
  • Spresto2
    Spresto2 Posts: 53 Member
    Seriously amateur with any type of lifting...pretty much have spend all my time doing cardio, so I'm wondering about kettlebells myself...I'm reading through these posts and getting confused. Are kettlebells considered both cardio and strength training? I see people saying they condition you, and I am not sure exactly what that means, technically. What I am looking for is an at home program that allows me to add some very effective full body muscle building into my current cardio...I am looking to both lose weight and build a better shape. Would kettlebell be a good place for a person to start who has never done any consistent strength training? Just curious because I am debating between the Ripped:60, x factor and kettlebell...
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    exercise does not burn fat, it burns calories.

fat loss is diet based only. no deficit, no fat loss...regardless of exercise done.

that said, retain lean mass by having full body resistance workouts done.