Running Shoes

Options
I'm so nervous to go into a sporting goods store and ask for running shoes. They're gonna look at me (all 269 lbs) and say "are you sure you don't mean walking shoes?"

But I know I need to get to new shoes.

So what do I ask for? This is all new to me.

Also the only place we have in town is Olympia Sports, do they do fittings there? Will they help me?

Replies

• pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: bump
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Don't go to a sporting goods store. Do you have a running store around you like a Fleet Feet? They will be able to help you a lot better than a sporting goods store. Fleet Feet will do a gait analysis and fit you for the right shoes and they won't give you the stink eye and steer you some where else.

Places like Olympia Sports, Sports Authority and D*cks don't know a thing about properly fitting someone in their shoes. I went to D*cks years ago to be fitted because my feet always hurt and they put me in a neutral Nike shoe which after going to a proper store -- fleet feet -- I found out was NOT the shoe I should be in.
  • got2swim
    got2swim Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't rule out buying men's shoes. In many cases they are better made and fit a wider foot.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a running store. They will fit you to the proper shoe for your gait. And, they will absolutely NOT give you the stink eye. They want you to come back to buy more shoes and other gear.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I would take the time to drive to a running store, even 45mins plus if necessary, to ensure you are buying the proper shoe.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies :smile:

I don't think an actual running store is an option, it's just too far away. It's pretty much just Olympia sports or Wal-Mart. I'm in rural Maine.

So it sounds like I'm on my own, how do I go about buying shoes without a fitting?

I do have wide feet (not as wide as they used to be, yay!), so maybe I will look at the men's shoes too. It's not like anyone's gonna be seeing them.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would take the time to drive to a running store, even 45mins plus if necessary, to ensure you are buying the proper shoe.

This! I travel two hours round trip to Fleet Feet for my running shoes. Well worth the investment of time and money!
  • the0th3rjen
    the0th3rjen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. I walked into Fleet Feet @ 330lbs and they gave me as much if not more attention than the average clientel. They made sure that I tried several styles and that I had a shoe that worked for me and the way I walked. They have been worth every dime to not have all the ankle and foot pain that I had before. I am about to go back for my second pair.

Good luck to you!
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the others. It's totally worth the trip to get you started off right. You're at a critical juncture right now, and the wrong shoes could discourage you from keeping up with running, or even injure you. You've made a really healthy choice of activity, so make this one-time time investment to make sure you start off right.