Working out with small children. Suggestions?

Options
Kabuhtu
Kabuhtu Posts: 85 Member
So, I have a two year old daughter and it's hard to keep her occupied when I am doing Insanity. She is too old for a play pen and too young to listen when I say she is going to get hurt if she tries to play with me while I am doing this. On weekends(my days off) I just work out when she takes a nap at one but I cant do that when I work because she takes naps at the sitter's. I like to workout after I get home from work.
The only way I can think of to solve this problem is to wake up an hour earlier and workout in the morning. What is your experience with morning workouts? Do they start your day off well? Is it hard to get motivated in the morning?
OR do you have any suggestions as to what I can do to keep my daughter occupied while I am working out? How did you do it?

Replies

• laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I typically work out after my daughter is in bed at night, but i am not a morning person at all!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:15am to get my workout in, get myself ready, then get my kids out of bed at 6:30 to get them ready for the day.

Your body adapts.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I used to be a person who hated dragging my rear out of bed at 6:15 AM to get ready for work.

For the past year, I've been getting up at 4:15 AM on work days to exercise. I am "off" this summer and continue to go to 5 AM workouts, still getting up at 4:15 to get there. Some advantages/reasons I still do this: 1) Gets the workout out of the way before other things can crowd it out. 2) No distractions...most everyone else is still asleep. 3) By the time I am fully awake, I'm half done. 4) Gives me a boost of energy to start my day. 5) A great motivator to eat a healthy, protein-rich breakfast and be awake enough to enjoy it...

If you'd have told me before I started this that I would choose to get up early and like it, I'd have sent you to have your head examined...I say give morning workouts a try. Commit to 3 weeks before you decide if you like it or not.

BTW, kudos to you for looking for a way to make this work with a little one at home. My youngest is now 12, but I remember what it was like to try and exercise with little ones around. And if you do happen to miss a workout, put her in a jogging stroller and go for a run! Or even do a little "mom and me" tumbling session...she's probably a great weight for you to lift if she is in the mood to play with mom. :)
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    At that age, the only thing I found that worked was a jogging stroller or a bike trailer. When they got older, they could have their own little exercise space. I am not a morning person.

My kids still love doing exercise videos. Now I have a gym membership that includes child care. Everyone is happy!
  • katietorres0275
    Options
    I have a very active 3 year old (and 3 older kids) and it is always a challenge to work out when he is around. I started waking up early to do my workout before he wakes up. I am not a morning person and it was hard to get out of bed at first, but I have gotten used to it and now I actually like getting up early. I always put my workout clothes next to my alarm so I have to move them to shut it off. It's a reminder of why I'm getting up so early and helps on the days when I'd rather not get up. Exercising in the morning sets me up for a good day; I feel happier, the workout is done so I'm not thinking about it all day and there is less chance that something will happen to derail me before I get a chance to work out. It also jump starts your metabolism for the day.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    wake up an hour earlier and workout in the morning.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My sister bought a personal DVD player/viewer. She let's my niece pick a movie to watch and she 9/10 times sits still and watches her movie on the couch while my sister works out.