Running On Treadmills - Damaging??

Options
Hiiii guys!

Just wondering- is running on a treadmill doing more damage than good? In regards to my knees/joints etc.

Replies

• dkhuff1
    dkhuff1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What does your body tell you? Many people have no issues. Personally, I find walking on them very painful because of the trampolining effect. I treally aggravates my knees. So I hike or walk outside and do other things like mountain biking, swimming, elliptical, weights, etc.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have done the couch to 5k program on my treadmill... on week 9 this week. And have had no issues with anything.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    For me, I get nasty shin splints on the treadmill or elliptical. I am just about strictly an outdoor runner. But, most folks I know do just fine on a treadmill. I think I'm the exception and not the rule in this case.
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think for the treadmill, you have to check the platform your running on. If it is uneven try to find the treadmill with the most even platform.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Anything is good in moderation. I switch back and forth. For instance (also doing C25K) I just did 2.5 miles on the t-mill and my right knee is a bit achy, so I am going to give it a day or two (maybe even a week) and switch to bike, walking and elliptical. I think sometimes more so than the banging on the joint, is the constant motion if you are not used to it. Like said before, listen to your body and be proactive in preventing injuries.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't like the treadmill. When I get off, I feel like you do when you get off a boat--sea legs. I'll use it at a fairly slow pace (4 mph) as a warm up before I start strength training, or on days where it's flat out pouring, but I really try to avoid it.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I rotate between outdoors and my treadmill but find the treadmill surface fairly forgiving to my knees.
    Pain in my knees normally only hits me when I'm outdoors on concrete.
    Of course I'm not doing any long distances or fast running. I'm a speed walker and jogger.
  • msfaithful
    msfaithful Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For me...
    running on the treadmill has helped me recover from c25k weeks of running outside. My knees would swell when running outside (uneven turfs) and my hip had an unforgiving pain. I recently bought a treadmill to allow me to continue running during the warmer/summer months (TX heat is TOO HOT for outside runs for this chic). I have been able to run/jog longer distance and with greater speed on this treadmill with minimal joint impact. The treadmil runs have also helped improve my outdoor runs (speed) although I have found my breathing is a bit labored when I run outside since I don't have a fan blowing in my face :smile:

So for me the treadmill is helping (not damaging) me improve my running/jogging legs :flowerforyou:
  • sue12252000
    sue12252000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No more damaging than trying to run outside with the potholes, uneven terrain, rocks, excessive heat (Florida) and stray dogs. And don't forget gum or dog poop on the pavement and perverts. Actually, if you have ANY joint issues in your lower extemities, don't run at all. Very jarring. Walk instead. Or use the eliptical. Much better.
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Good to know this stuff. We are going to go buy one tomorrow. Slowly turning the spare bedroom into a small gym. Got a stationary bike and free weights already.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    However, the stray dogs and perverts do inspire you to run faster :laugh:

Sincerely,
    Brandon from Tampa
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It's not the treadmill that is the issue, it's your form. Many people have poor running form. There are also a ton of folks who's form varies drastically from how they run on the road vs. how they run on a treadmill. Fix the root cause and you'll have no issues.
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I find it fine running on a treadmill, its makes my calf’s ache a lot less.
    However I also find it harder in terms of breathing due to less oxygen inside.

But I can say, running on tread makes you appreciate the amount of oxygen you get outside and makes my runs a lot quicker when i go outside. But, everyone is different :)
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    No.