Dukan Diet anyone??

Options
I've been in a plateau for about 3 weeks, I recently had a physical and my doctor is checking for hypothyroidism due to the fact that I'm having a real hard time losing a few pounds no matter what I do. She also told me to look into the Dukan Diet which I did and it just seems so restricted and I don't know if I can go without the carbs completely even if it's a short time. According to the questionnaire I took online I'm supposed to stay on the attack phase for 4 days. Has anyone tried this? have you had success?

Replies

• mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't imagine staying on a diet like that long term, myself... And my whole goal here has always been to create a lifestyle change that is sustainable. Yes, you might lose quite a bit initially, IF you follow it to the letter, but it looks like if you stray, the weight is likely to come back. I much prefer "slow and steady wins the race" as it seems to stay off better, long term, than any "crash" or severely restricted "diets." I also find it sad that so many doctors, who generally have very little int he way of nutritional training, would recommend such restricted diets.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, it's got to be a lifestyle change. Diets do not work because for the most part they are temporary. Don't focus on the scale, it doesn't tell the whole truth.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Restricted
    REstriction leads to binging
    just exercise
    and stay under calories
    and d ont do any set diet
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Oh. I read this as the Dunkin Diet. My bad....

ICONS-AROD1.gif
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Yoda on restrictive diets.
    Restriction leads to bingeing; bingeing leads to fear; fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering.

Quite true, though; you see it all the time - VLCD, then a massive binge, then fear of putting on the lbs, anger at yourself, self-hate and you suffer.

Mind you, low carbing can help for short periods providing you don't do a massive carb binge at the end of it.
  • ladylego1
    ladylego1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi LadyJay,

I'm actually in my 4th / 5th week of the dukan at the moment. It really suits my body and attitude. Yes it is restrictive but the results work and the first few days are just to help you adjust to it and to really kick start.

I'm now into my cruise phase and the weight is still coming of and i have alot more energy and can all ready see my body starting to change... Its not for everyone but a few of my friends tried it and recommended it after their results. Alot of people do criticizes it for not being sustainable in the long run but I cant see this being a problem as haven't strayed apart from one work night out.. but what girl is going to say no to champagne!

I think its all about finding what works for your own body and what you can / can't live with long term... I like that I cook everything from scratch and no process food, that i'm not hungry and there is so much you can do on PV (protein and veg) days if your willing to be creative.

I can happily give you a walk through of an average protein only day or pv day...

GL on what ever you choose
  • ladyjay71
    ladyjay71 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Haha K_Serz!!!
  • ladyjay71
    Options
    Thank you Ladylego1 for sharing your story, I have spoken to a few people that have had success with it as well but I think I'll just continue to watch my portions and exercise. Good luck with the rest of your journey and congratulations on your success so far!!
  • ladyjay71
    Options
    Yes, I agree completely, I was just wondering what others thought about this because eventually you do incorporate all foods but I don't think it's for me.
    Whatever you do, it's got to be a lifestyle change. Diets do not work because for the most part they are temporary. Don't focus on the scale, it doesn't tell the whole truth.
  • ladylego1
    ladylego1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you Ladylego1 for sharing your story, I have spoken to a few people that have had success with it as well but I think I'll just continue to watch my portions and exercise. Good luck with the rest of your journey and congratulations on your success so far!!

No problems at all... thought it might help to see both sides :)

Good luck and I hope you find your way to success
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Let Dukan diet that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Oh. I read this as the Dunkin Diet. My bad....

ICONS-AROD1.gif

I did, too...I became very excited about the idea of a donut diet. Thanks, OP...you have crushed my soul. *kicks rocks*

ETA: just kidding! OP, best of luck with whatever you decide to do. :flowerforyou:
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    Restricted
    REstriction leads to binging
    just exercise
    and stay under calories
    and d ont do any set diet

I agree except for the part of staying under calorie goal. MFP has already created a deficit, to stay under is depriving yourself of nutrition. Figure out TDEE and stay a bit under it.
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    For the record I eat between 1800 - 2000 calories a day. I am 45 and 5'2"!