My first 5k....

Options
traumacode3
traumacode3 Posts: 32 Member
This past weekend I completed my first 5k. While I didn't do as well as I would have liked, in the end I can say I completed it. The trail was up and down hills, through the woods, running on grass through a horse pasture, and running on some rocks which I took a slide on and got some nice abrasions on my elbow and knee. It wasn't the ideal type of course/terrain that I would have liked for my first 5k but I stayed the course and survived! I got this email from my personal trainer this morning which made me smile...

Just looked at the pictures of your race CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any race big or small is a true accomplishment. You should be proud of yourself. I know I am proud of you!
Sometimes it takes a step in unfamiliar territory to show ourselves what we are really made of. Not giving up and finishing the race is truly a testimony to your dedication and will to never give up. I hope this brings a renewed sense of your goals on your journey.
Take care, and once again Congrats!

I will be running another 5k this coming weekend down at the beach. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the course is more runner friendly and that I can have a better time. I am also hoping that I can not come home with any more abrasions.

Replies

• kacn28
    kacn28 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm hoping to run my 1st 5K soon so this is great to see. Keep it up!
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    :heart: running NSVs! Congrats on completing your first (of many) 5ks!:drinker:
  • jwhitch
    jwhitch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself, sounds like it was a tough course. I am currently doing C25K & hoping to be able to run a 5k by my 60th birthday in September. You are an inspiration!
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The completion is 90% of your victory. Just keep working hard and try to improve your time. Good luck and congrats!
  • post191rickdye
    post191rickdye Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Your trainer is right about being seeing what you are made of... It may seem like a completely unbelievable fantasy right now to think of these things becoming routine... but I remember well back in the summer of 2011 when I was only walking while my wife would do her runs... By fall I would run 1/10th and walk 1/10th...October 30th, 2011 I ran my 1st 5K without walking! By spring of 2012 I was running distances farther than 5K. In summer 2012 I ran the Zooma 10K while my wife and her friends ran their usual half marathon. I couldn't believe that I ran that far! In October 2012 I was ready for my 1st 10 miler (It was my wife's birthday... I couldn't say no!) The Army 10 miler took us all around Washington DC and it wa a challenge but by then I was ready. By December 2012 I ran my 1st half marathon with my wife and youngest son and have run 2 more since then!

Other than tooting my own horn here, the point I am trying to make is twofold... First, even today, even though I know I can do it and really want to do it, my brain tries to talk me out of going for a run EVERY SINGLE TIME! I am not one of those that gets the endorphin-filled high from running. t will always be an effort for me and I accept that. But more important that that, by taking it easy but consistently as I started I was able to become a runner. Even today when I go out for a run and am 2 miles into the run and feeling pretty good, it hits me.. I CAN RUN FOR MILES WITHOUT HAVING TO STOP!!! It is stupid but sometimes I feel like I am flying! I can't believe that I denied myself this feeling of empowerment for so much of my life!

Stick with it. Track your runs. You won't believe how much you will remember these goals once you reach them! Congrats to you!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you will look back after a year of many more 5k's and not believe how far you got.
  • RedheadQuine
    RedheadQuine Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    That's an amazing accomplishment, well done!
  • leanne0605
    leanne0605 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first race!!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!