plateau...

Options
Anybody have any idea how to break a plateau...and if you have experienced them how long have they lasted...getting frusterated...:frown:

Replies

• Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you get a good answer let me know......I've been losing and gaining the same 3 pounds for three months now. Beyond frustrated :sad:
  • sunflwrgrl412
    sunflwrgrl412 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! I lost 28 lbs and now nothing. I think I stalled when mfp lowered my cal intake to 1200 when I was at 1300. I got close but never went over the 1300. Maybe I should up myself back to 1300 and see what happens. I hate it though! I will not give up!
  • afl0405
    afl0405 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem losing and gaining the same three pounds!
  • luulu1999
    luulu1999 Posts: 119
    Options
    I am curious about the dreaded plateau also.......does everyone hit it? I am freaked out that I am gonna hit it after just losing a few lbs and its going to discourage me......I don't really have an answer for you but I have seen where people have said increase your calories some or change your exercising to get over it :)
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I've hit a few plateau's and broken them all by switching up what I do for exercise and changing when I eat during the day. Small changes will kick you body back into gear. A plateau happens because your body adapts to what you are doing.
  • joyfulhappyheart
    joyfulhappyheart Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at 218 for a 5+ weeks now. Finally tried upping my calories from 1200 to 1550.
    Forced myself to drink more water (I'm really bad about that)
    Didn't change anything else and I lost two pounds this week. (Today's weigh-in)
  • SEC_RULES
    SEC_RULES Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Same for me. I upped my calories and dropped a few pounds almost immediately. I think for most, it's just changing up the routine.
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would like to know as well, I've been on my plateau for more than 6 months, but at least I haven't gained.
  • aliciar876
    aliciar876 Posts: 32
    Options
    Change is the best way to break through a pleatuea. Try changing up your exercise routine. If you don't weight lift maybe start that or do more intense workouts where you may go for a shorter period of time but you burn more calories b/c you are working harder in that short time. Drinking more water is also a great thing. I drink on average 3 liters of water a day.
  • cmstraut
    cmstraut Posts: 15
    Options
    I agree with the people that say change is the answer. Your body has gotten used to the calorie in and out and therefore it has hit the maintenance part of your program. What your body needs is a new challenge to keep loosing.

If you want specific advice, I would suggest high intensity interval training. Ex: it you walk or job, try adding a run 1-2 times per week. If you weight lift, try adding some good cardio 1-2 times per week. If you do aerobic classes, I would suggest going up a level (or change your class) 1-2 times per week.

I'm in the process of doing this and haven't gotten past 1 x per week. Its tough on the body to increase workouts and it takes your muscles 2-4wks to improve but your bones take much longer. Remember to do things are your own pace by listening to your body. Don't get stuck in this rut, keep changing and advancing your workout routine. Have fun trying new classes and pushing your own boundaries.

Good luck!
  • tjnewbatt83
    tjnewbatt83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I tried upping my calories and am alternating my workouts...today's weigh in i had dropped 2 lbs...hopefully i am back on track...this weight loss thing is hard work ;)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1) eat better
    2) work harder
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, change up your diet and exercise routines. Adding in a couple of sessions HIIT every week really helped me.
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Your body will always try to find a balance - it's what it is designed to do. It is aiming for efficiency of resources. So if you eat the same number of calories per day and do the same exercise every day for weeks and months on end - it eventually finds stasis.

Yes, I too found that I stuck at the same weight for about 12 weeks on my journey down, even though on paper I was doing everything right.

So I started 'cycling' my calories - 2 days per week I eat slight over my expenditure (300-400) and on the other 5 days I eat at goal or a bit under. As long as over the week I ate less than I expended it balanced out. I found my most efficient weight loss was when I ate about 1500 per week fewer calories than I burned.

This kick started my weight loss again and I reached target last October. I have been on maintenance since then and my body has reached a nice stasis at 67 kilos, at which I'm very happy - so one day you'll be grateful for that plateau effect as it is what you are aiming for eventually. :)
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    My last one went a month. It was brutal. Looking at the scale everyday seeing no changes
    despite all my actions. It will move, your body is getting stable where it is, you're more in
    a hurry than it is. Your body will catch up w/your mind. Switch your fitness/diet somehow.
    That is what everyone recommends and I think it really has a good effect too.
  • apexgtp
    apexgtp Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 lbs before I really hit a tough plateau. It took about 6-7 days for my body to start responding to the changes I made(increased intensity at gym a little). I'm now at another plateau but I'm down over 50+ now. I've been at this weight for about 3 weeks now. It is discouraging but I'm confident it's because I'm not eating enough calories. I started eating a little more and I'm switching up my cardio a little bit, I'm now incorporating bike riding rather than elliptical only.