Maybe this will motivate YOU

Options
Today I walked for 11 minutes....in a row! I couldn't do that 13 days ago or for the last 3 years.

I'm 48, single and worked 2 jobs. 8 hours in the morning cooking and 4 to 6 hours a night waitressing. I went to work one morning, slipped on a ladder that was left laying flat on the floor and my life changed. My low back hurt and my hip would freeze mid step, just lock up and leave me unable to move it for a few seconds. I was hurting and still working both jobs and barely sleeping from the pain and eating to soothe myself. I went to physical therapy on my lunch hour. Eight months later I had open back surgery to repair 3 ruptured discs in the lumbar region, just above the tailbone. While this made the sciatic pain that shot down my leg sharply into my foot with every step go away, it did not help my back pain and as a bonus it messed up my IT bands, which are muscles that run from the hip to the knee, way down deep inside, and made it almost impossible to walk. It also left me unable to work and earn a living.

Since I am being treated through Labor and Industries, they said I was all better and able to return to work. My surgeon suggested I hire a lawyer to get the help I deserved. For the next year my only treatment was physical therapy. L&I only paid them for 12 visits since it was not making my condition better. Shout-out to Burlington Physical Therapy and especially the owner Vorey Smith who continued to see me twice a week, for a year, without being paid a penny. Amazingly generous.

17 months after my first surgery I had the lumbar region of my spine fused. That was Halloween 2012 and by then I weighed 240 pounds. This was supposed to solve all of my leg pain, although my surgeon said it may not help with the back pain. My spine did feel a bit better, and I no longer had the numbness in my feet and legs when I tried to walk but once again I could not walk without a lot of pain. I promised myself I would not gain more weight after this surgery, as I had gained 40 more pounds after the first surgery.

Since I had moved 30 miles I had to start with a new Physical Therapist. Turns out he is the same guy that helped my neck recover after a horrible 4 car pile up on the freeway in 1983. I instantly knew he was going to make things better. I had hope! I worked out as hard as possible, they said no one worked as hard to rebuild strength like me. I was on a mission to not only become well, but to continue to lose weight since I had stepped on the scale and saw I was down 10 pounds. He checked the range of motion of my limbs. My left hip was frozen in place. He was furious that L&I had been denying treatment of my hip all this time by saying that it was a pre-existing condition. I may in fact have osteoarthritis in my hip but hey, until the fall I could walk! He said if they had fixed my hip I may not have had to go through the fusion of my spine which partially disables me forever. This was not happy news but I decided then and there to let it go because you cannot undo a fusion and I would not would not let it bring me down. He also said my back would not heal until the hip was fixed. Long story short, between my surgeon, physical therapist and lawyer in December L&I approved treatment of the hip, after over 5 denials. Doc immediately sent me in for an MRI.

On June 10 I had my third surgery in 2 1/2 years. A total hip replacement. In the 7 months between surgeries I lost 40 pounds, and I was in major pain and it was not easy to move. But I watched what I ate and moved as much as I could tolerate, which wasn't much. I can't bend, twist, kneel...you get the picture. Yesterday I walked for 11 minutes...in a row. Twice. Just me, my walker and my cat. It was raining and I loved it .Both legs are striding for the first time in a long time. Yes it is very painful, and I am moving pretty slow, but hey, after 3 major surgeries that left me weaker and weaker I feel like an Olympian about to cross the finish line for the gold medal. I feel empowered and grateful.

Later this morning, 14 days after surgery, I start physical therapy...again. I am going to do everything they tell me to do and work as hard as I possibly can and every day I am going to walk just a little bit further. Nothing can stop me. I now know the deeper meaning of precious gift that is the simple act of stepping. Freedom.

The next time you are thinking you should get up and move but really don't want to think of me and my 11 amazing minutes of walking in the rain. Get up and move, any way you want to. You can do it.

Replies

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Well done and be careful :flowerforyou:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    hey-youre-awesome-1791-1232679844-0_zps8c807acb.jpg
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Wow! So emotional and amazing. *gets off the couch to do workout*
  • Harlequinndancer
    Harlequinndancer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You have obviously gone through some amazing trials in your life! Kudos to the medical staff that have helped you to get to where you are. About 15 years ago, I was in several car accidents (passenger each time) and I wound up with 7 of my vertebrae twisted to the left. Only through the endeavors of my chiropractor and massage therapist was I able to eventually walk any distance (and eventually without pain thank heavens!). Since then I value the ability to walk so I know how huge a deal it is that you've managed 11 minutes! That is simply wonderful and I sincerely hope that it only gets better for you!
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Lovely! Thank you for sharing!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Thank youy for sharing. Wishing you well.. I know you are going to do very well. :flowerforyou:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    can someone put this in one sentence for me? I want to be motivated too!
  • dab52776
    dab52776 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    What an inspirational story! I know you will continue to push and meet your goals!
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, good on ya!
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    YOU are amazing. Thank you for posting your story. Congrats on your progress! :flowerforyou:
  • murdie
    murdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You are awesome!!!!!! You never gave up no matter how hard it got!!!! way to go!
    You are inspiration and motivation. Congrats on your 11 minutes! It is a big milestone!
  • javajunco
    javajunco Posts: 81
    Options
    Incredible!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Outstanding! You rock!!
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am inspired by your post and God bless you and heal you.I am getting off my tush right now and am working out.
  • writtingonthewalls
    Options
    WOW!! You are such an inspiration! You keep pushing as hard as you can despite the obstacles...too awesome :)
  • JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    you are truly inspiring you have been through so much and continue towards your goal I am so very very proud of you you can go anything you set your mind to and nothing will get in your way go you.:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    So awesome! Good for you for keeping up the fight and not giving up in the face of adversity.
  • StaceySuperfly
    StaceySuperfly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Get up and move everyday no matter what!