How about Movie Remakes? What remakes were mistakes?

Options
Personally, the one that jumps to the top of the list for me is "Psycho". On the other hand, the remake of "Twelve Angry Men" , especially Edward James Olmos' performance is a beautiful bookend for the original movie. What say ye, community?

Replies

• hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The American Godzilla should never have been made.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Mistakes:
    Arthur
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    Planet of the Apes
    The Pink Panther

Not Mistakes:
    The Thomas Crown Affair
    Ocean's Eleven
    Father of the Bride
    Scarface

I should also say that I don't consider films like "Batman Begins" to be a remake. Because it's a new movie using the same source material as a different movie does (the comic book), but it doesn't use the original movie as source material, if that makes sense.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    All I know is that if Hollywood ever decides to make a remake of Back to the Future, I'm never watching a movie again.
  • kimbly71
    kimbly71 Posts: 188
    Options
    Clash of the Titans remake. I know the special effects were lame in the first one (1981) but I STILL have to stop and watch it when it is on TV. The remake in 2010 was just awful!! If they said "cracken" one more time, I was going to have to get violent.
  • Samiamy2k
    Samiamy2k Posts: 50
    Options
    Yes, the first one had truly and profoundly poor special effects- it's just slightly pre-Star Wars, if I'm not mistaken. I apologize for this in advance, but it's really not a conscious choice, but impulsive behavior that demands I say........RELEASE THE KRÄKEN!!!!
    Thanks for posting....
    Samiam
    Clash of the Titans remake. I know the special effects were lame in the first one (1981) but I STILL have to stop and watch it when it is on TV. The remake in 2010 was just awful!! If they said "cracken" one more time, I was going to have to get violent.
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    love johnny depp but Charlie & the Chocolate Factory was just weird!!!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    The Truth About Charlie (2002). Just didn't work.
  • Smoore121182
    Options
    Ghostbusters 2
  • divaford140
    divaford140 Posts: 2,511 Member
    Options
    Guess Who's Coming To Dinner - remake with Bernie Mac and Ashton Kuscher was tastefully funny and still a sweet movie!!!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    love johnny depp but Charlie & the Chocolate Factory was just weird!!!

^^^^ Yeah...... I didn't like that remake.

I have heard talk about Hollywood remaking "The Thin Man" movie from 1934. I will be pretty upset if they do that. Its a whole different era. Lots of witty banter and subtle sarcasm. Stuff that's lost in today's movies.
    I hope they leave the classics alone...
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Personally, the one that jumps to the top of the list for me is "Psycho". On the other hand, the remake of "Twelve Angry Men" , especially Edward James Olmos' performance is a beautiful bookend for the original movie. What say ye, community?

I was thinking the exact thing with Psycho.

I think that "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" are right up there...the original was ten times better.

As far as a remake that needs to be made, "A Tale of Two Cities"...why is it taking so long?!
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Footloose!!!

Also, all the american remakes of japanese horror films...Ringu ( Th Ring ), Ju-on ( The Grudge ), Kaoro ( The Pulse ), can't even pick good names for them....
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    "The Wizard Of Oz" remake. Total crapola.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Red Dawn....
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    If they ever remake the Goonies, I'm burning the studio and salting the earth underneath.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

That wasn't a remake so much as destroying the good name of a decent film. The "remake" wanted to be God of War more than it wanted to retell a story.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Red Dawn
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    If they ever remake the Goonies, I'm burning the studio and salting the earth underneath.

YES!! I will be standing with you on that. With matches. Setting booty traps. Doing the truffle shuffle while the studio burns.

Also, I agree with Footloose. I wouldn't even watch it. Can't believe they remade it.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    That one remake of Phantom of the Opera that had the Phantom as half-masked Gerard Butler (2004). Seriously, if they're making the Phantom the "hot" guy, then they're missing the point entirely.

Oh, and the American version of "Death at a Funeral" was terrible. The only good thing about it was that they kept Dinklage in it. But the original was SO much funnier!
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Red Dawn wasn't terrible, but the fact that they didn't have the balls to stick with the Chinese as the bad guys and went to North Korea made it completely unbelievable.