Fitbit Flex linked to MFP?

Options
I have recently acquired a Flex, and I am considering linking it to MFP account. I am a little bit leary. I have read several things about the Fitbit giving you enormous amounts of exercise calories. Should I just not link the two? If I do, should I log my activity into Fitbit or MFP? And I am not sure I understand what "allowing negative calories" is. I would appreciate any advice that those of you who have been through the process can give me.

Replies

• melw2910
    melw2910 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I linked my FitBit with MFP and monitored my activity levels for a few months. I ended up having to adjust my activity settings on MFP from Sedentary to Active to reach my lowest daily goals. I now have a setting where it only adjusts as exercise calories if I burn more than 1850 a day (which is most days I exercise).
    Negative calories basically means it deducts calories from your daily food allowance if you do not achieve your burn.

Feel free to add me for support and good luck with it.
  • crcoder
    crcoder Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It says somewhere that if you are linking your Flex to only enter your food and exercise into MFP, stop using the Fitbit Dashboard for that. I've linked my Flex and MFP but have only had my Flex for a couple weeks. I am losing weight though. I'm wearing my polar watch when I work out so I know how many calories I burn from that and then enter it into MFP. I'll have to pay more attention to how many calories it gives me before I log the exercise and see if what you've heard is true.
    Carolyn
  • lcantrell65
    lcantrell65 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I think I'll see if I can still find my polar watch and if it needs a new battery. I hope you are enjoying your Flex. I know I have only had mine a few days, but I think I am going to like it.
  • kacorlis
    kacorlis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have my Fitbit linked to MFP. It works great! If you link it to MFP, you are not supposed to record food etc. on the Fit Bit dashboard. I have the fit bit I can clip on to things, not the newer kind on a wristband. I believe you can find "frequently asked questions" on MFP somewhere. As it seems like I saw the "negative calories" explained.
  • lcantrell65
    lcantrell65 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I also have my Flex linked to MFP. I only enter food in MFP. If I have activity where I didn't get a lot of steps (like Pilates or Yoga) I do log that activity in MFP. Any other activity where I am getting steps (walking, jogging, etc.) I do not log that activity on MFP because Fitbit is already giving me credit for it.