Adjustments after losing weight

Options
I'm at about a 20 lb loss since I started back in February. My highest weight was in the 180s but I was almost 170 back in February. I'm now at 148.5 (woo-hoo!).

Since I weigh less, what adjustments do I need to make to keep the weight coming off? Do I exercise more since I am probably burning less calories? Can I eat more or less? I need help!

Replies

• grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'd also like to know about this.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm at about a 20 lb loss since I started back in February. My highest weight was in the 180s but I was almost 170 back in February. I'm now at 148.5 (woo-hoo!).

Since I weigh less, what adjustments do I need to make to keep the weight coming off? Do I exercise more since I am probably burning less calories? Can I eat more or less? I need help!

What is your height and your goal weight, and how much are you eating now? Has your weight loss stalled? What is your current exercise routine?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your calorie goal. The less you weigh, the less calories you need...if you haven't adjusted your calorie goal then you probably need to do that. Other than that, weight loss is calorie in/calories out. As far as working out goes, I can only tell you to use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. I get the best fitness results when I actually have fitness goals that are independent of calorie burn, weight loss, etc...the ensuing body is just a bi-product of those fitness goals.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep updating your weight on your profile, the system should ask you every 10 pounds or so if you want it to make adjustments for you. It will adjust your calorie goal for the day as well as the calories burned when you log exercise, since both go down as your weight does (unfair, I know!)
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

What is your height and your goal weight, and how much are you eating now? Has your weight loss stalled? What is your current exercise routine?

I'm 5'4" and my goal weight is 130. IDK if my weight loss has stalled because before Saturday, I hadn't weighed myself since the end of April and I was 155 then. I am 148.5 now. I haven't been exercising as rigorously as before but I don't overeat. I didn't meet my calorie goal most days last week. I'm going back to being more disciplined with my exercising and doing it 5 times per week.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I think you just need to play around and see what works for you - as I lose more, I up my calories closer to maintenance level, so I lose less each week. That way once I reach maintenance, it'll be easy for me to stay there instead of eating at 1400 and all of a sudden I reach goal and will have to eat 1800 a day. I still exercise the same, maybe a little more. And so far it's working for me.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    Have you changed your calorie goal. The less you weigh, the less calories you need...if you haven't adjusted your calorie goal then you probably need to do that. Other than that, weight loss is calorie in/calories out. As far as working out goes, I can only tell you to use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. I get the best fitness results when I actually have fitness goals that are independent of calorie burn, weight loss, etc...the ensuing body is just a bi-product of those fitness goals.

When I entered my new weight MFP said they were going to recalculate but I am still set at 1,200 calories because my settings are to lose 2 lbs/week.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    As long as you keep updating your weight on your profile, the system should ask you every 10 pounds or so if you want it to make adjustments for you. It will adjust your calorie goal for the day as well as the calories burned when you log exercise, since both go down as your weight does (unfair, I know!)

It's still set to 1,200- so does that mean when I add exercise it will give my less exercise calories to eat back versus before.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Change your setting to 1 pound a week. Eat back some of your exercise calories.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    I think you just need to play around and see what works for you - as I lose more, I up my calories closer to maintenance level, so I lose less each week. That way once I reach maintenance, it'll be easy for me to stay there instead of eating at 1400 and all of a sudden I reach goal and will have to eat 1800 a day. I still exercise the same, maybe a little more. And so far it's working for me.
    My maintenance will be 1,800 a day as well. I'm more relieved than anything- sometimes i barely break 1,200 and I can eat 1,800 without feeling deprived. Once I break the 130s I am going to eat 20% less than my TDEE which will be around 1,800 anyway to get myself used to it.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    You wouldn't want to be eating at TDEE - 20% when you are that close to goal weight.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    You wouldn't want to be eating at TDEE - 20% when you are that close to goal weight.
    -10%?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Yes, 10% is a better goal with 10 lbs left to lose.