Depression related NSVs::Share em!!

Options
bonitacash08
bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
I've read a lot of posts from members here suffering from depression. I thought I'd start a thread that shares some success stories to help people through their own rough spots.

It's important to remember that you're never "cured" from depression. It is something you have to deal with for the rest of your life.

I was diagnosed with major depression in 2010 at 20 years old. A couple of things happened in my relationship that triggered one of the worst episodes I'd had in my life. I tried to seek treatment through medication and therapy, but I lacked support from my parents. I come from a conservative military family that doesn't believe in mental illness. I couldn't even tell them I was taking antidepressants.

It quickly spiraled out of control. Because my parents didn't understand and refused to acknowledge what I was going through, I completely withdrew from my life. I found minute reasons to stop talking to my best friends. I stopped communicating with my family. I stopped going to school (I was a junior in college), and I was a zombie at work. During the school year of 2011-2012, I failed 7 out of 9 total classes. My parents tried to intervene at that point, insisting I pack up and move back home (at the time they were stationed in Virginia. I live in Nevada). THAT was the lowest point of my life.

The following year I really had to do a lot of soul searching. I refocused on myself, started a new job, and took a break from school for the summer. In the fall of 2012, I enrolled part time and passed all of my classes. In the spring of 2013, I graduated!

Recently, I've reconnected with all of my friends. I know I hurt them by distancing myself from them with little to no explanation, and I'm really lucky they were willing to accept me back with open arms. I finally feel like my old self again.

Don't get me wrong; as I mentioned before, I'm not "cured." There is no cure for depression, only treatment. I still have REALLY low days and REALLY great days. I'm learning how to deal with life without checking out. But this time last year, I would never have believed I could be where I am today.

Replies

• CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that you are feeling better, you have a beautiful smile in your profile picture.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Sorry you didn't have the support you needed then, but it sounds like you are getting it now. :) I have to agree with the poster before me...you do have a great smile. Happy you are feeling better and hope you continue to progress.
  • bonitacash08
    Options
    Aww thanks..
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I hope this thread actually produces NSV's. I will go as I know most people on this site are surface for the most part. I can say I can function which has been something I haven't been able to do in a long time. Like I'm alert and can think. Depression defintely kills all concentration and ideas flowing. I cut alot of sites I use to frequent as I noticed those where triggers and also people. Depression isn't a fun thing but if nothing else I know I can relate to anyone who has real life problems.
  • Hoosier96
    Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Medication tweak enabled me to finally find the motivation my depression was robbing me of...end result is I am 10 lbs down in the past month and a half, and feeling better than ever thanks to the extra boost of endorphins working out brings me. Very happy with my new med (zoloft) and I am seeing results from a relatively low dose (50 mg). My depression manifested as lethargy and pessimism/short temperedness. I wasn't sad, but I was not deriving pleasure from life and would snap at my husband for basically no reason. It wasn't the example I wanted to set for my daughter. For me, I needed the medicine to boost me to a place where I could make better choices with diet and exercise that in turn, would have as much of an effect on me as the meds do. I feel very good abotu where I am right now!
  • bonitacash08
    Options
    I tried 4 different medications and 2 different therapists.. I'm definitely all for antidepressants; whatever helps!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!