Lunch Ideas

Options
oboeing
oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
I am at work every day for lunch. There is only 1 cafeteria, and my healthy options there are basically non-existant. Normally I bring a sandwich for lunch. EVERYDAY. This gets old very quickly, and I need some other healthy, non-frozen lunch ideas.

What do you pack for lunch?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    leftover chicken, beef or fish over a salad is usually my go to lunch. In the winter I like a clear broth soup with lots of veggies in a thermos.
  • 2vayla
    2vayla Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I make a salad with chicken, lots a veggies, avacado and a little flavored olive oil or a flavored vinegar.
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I know a wrap is a lot like a sandwich, but I find I can throw different things in there that would hold up on bread. Today I'm having an egg salad wrap and sliced bell peppers.

I also do salads. I chop veggies on the weekend and have a variety of things to easily throw together - lettuce, cukes, tomato, peppers, shredded cheese, hardboiled eggs, chick peas, sunflower seeds. I made up a list of ingrediants I like and their calories so I can quickly throw salad together and count the calories.

And of course, if you cook up onebig dish of something healthy, there is leftovers. Good luck!
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    homemade trail mix (nuts, dry cereal, dried fruit)
    cut-up veggies with hummus
    fresh fruit
  • Tracey1147
    Tracey1147 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Some of my lunch ideas
    pita bread and hummus
    egg or cheese salad
    all different soups (if home made add pasta to make it more filling)
    tortilla wraps
  • Marilyn2303
    Marilyn2303 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Leftovers work for me.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm not a salad lover, but I like to bring wraps or whatever leftovers I have from the night before,.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday I fire up the George Foreman and make all my lunches at once in containers that include

4-6 oz of protein (chicken, turkey burger, ground beef, steak)
    1 serving of rice/pasta (Usually 2 oz dry)
    1-2 servings veggies (broccoli, peas, beans, etc.)
    1 tablespoon of oil (Sesame or EVOO)

It's my basic formula for lunches that has worked for well over a year because you can keep the variety with the same basic components.
  • hiddensmiles21
    Options
    leftovers! I always make a bigger dinner so I can have it again the next day.
  • martasmith54584
    Options
    I cooked up tons of chicken and fish on the weekend and made my lunches for the week with asparagus, and cabbage/carrot slaw (and cut up cucumbers when out of slaw) I also made a salad with cucumber and chicken for one day. Have to have variety or you will get tempted to eat junk!
  • martasmith54584
    Options
    Every Sunday I fire up the George Foreman and make all my lunches at once in containers that include

4-6 oz of protein (chicken, turkey burger, ground beef, steak)
    1 serving of rice/pasta (Usually 2 oz dry)
    1-2 servings veggies (broccoli, peas, beans, etc.)
    1 tablespoon of oil (Sesame or EVOO)

It's my basic formula for lunches that has worked for well over a year because you can keep the variety with the same basic components.
    Awesome!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of stuck on salads right now. I usually just take whatever leftover protein I have (today was pork loin), and throw it in with some lettuce, blue cheese, scallions, cherry tomatoes and Ken's lite balsamic vinaigrette. It's also good with avocadoes, if I happen to have them on hand.
  • quicksellca
    quicksellca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I am a big soup eater. I have a few favorites including my homemade lentil soup and a family-named macaroni soup.

Lentil Soup is as follows:

1/2 bag of lentils boiled slightly past al dente
    one red,yellow or orange pepper chopped
    one cup of carrots diced
    one cup of onion diced (or more if you love onions like me!)
    several cloves of garlic (depending on your preference)
    lrg. can of whole peeled tomatoes chopped into large pieces (save the juice!!)
    sm. can of tomato paste
    3-4 cups of chicken stock
    thyme

1. begin by boiling the lentils for about 15-20 minutes.
    **depending on how long you plan to let the soup sit, don't cook the lentils too much or they will be too soggy.
    2. take pepper, onions, garlic and carrots and sautee until soft
    **instead of using olive oil which has a ton of calories, i cook using 1/2 cup of water and the tomato juice from the whole peeled tomatoes can
    3. while the veggies are cooking, in a large pan, add the whole tomato pieces and the rest of the tomato juice from the can
    4. add thyme (i like to use quite a bit, but again, your preference.)
    5. add a reasonable pinch of sugar and salt (salt is to taste. this can be left out until served)
    6. let this simmer slowly
    7. add 3-4 cups of chicken broth (or veggie broth if you prefer a vegetarian based soup) let slowly boil.
    8. add lentils and veggies.
    9. let soup simmer

lentil soup is VERY filling but extremely healthy. it also freezes very well. this is great to make and store. that way you can introduce a little variety to your lunches!

i hope someone else gets some enjoyment from this favorite recipie of mine! (:
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    great ideas, thanks!

i work 2 jobs, so i don't have a chance to cook dinner most nights, i make crock pot batches and freeze them, and use them for dinner. but if i eat them for lunch and dinner, i'll be sick of eating those too!

plenty of great ideas for me to try, thank you!