thyroid problems?

Options
someone trying to lose with thyroid problems? I don't have thyroid (due to cancer) and I think could be good know about others with this problem. Some people told me that I can't lose weight with this kind of problems, but I'm really motivated and I would like to share my trip with them or any one who is looking for friends :happy:

Replies

• JosieMajuri
    JosieMajuri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there, so I was actually born without a thyroid. I do find it hard to lose weight but I have lost weight before. I'm very short only 4'11". I've lost about 4 pounds this last month mostly from exercising quite a bit and eating less calories. I'm at 140 now and hoping to get down to at leaast 130. I've taken synthroid or levothyroxine my entire life. It seems pretty easy for me to gain weight but difficult to lose. 4 years ago I did manage to lose 25 pounds in about 5-6 months which is the most I've ever lost through diet and exercise.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am on the waiting list to have my thyroid out. Good times ahead. I really struggle to lose weight, even though I am very strict with my eating and I exercise a lot. But like you am very motivated to get the rest of my weight off! And you know what? If my weight doesn't come off... I'll never regret this journey I started. I am 42 and fitter, healthier and stronger than I've been my whole life.
    But yes, definitely want to keep losing weight, I think being super strict and clean is the answer and convincing your body its ok to let go of the fat..... eventually lol
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have a thyroid and am just hypo. Success is all about being on the right medication regemine; for instance, I take t3 and t4 (both synthetic). Check out stopthethyroidmadness.com ... though I feel like the push NDT a wee bit too much, otherwise they have some great info and offer good support. BTW, NDT didn't agree with me so that's why I take synthetics.
  • ingrid_sepulveda
    ingrid_sepulveda Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thank u to all of you for the answers..is really good to know that I am not the only one in this with thyroid problems...and we can be successful if we want it! thank you very much again..
  • Mamafood
    Mamafood Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo & take levothyroxine ...

REALLY struggle to shift weight ... It takes a lot of exercise & clean eating to shift

My problem is maintaining the motivation through the looooooong process :-/

I find after a while I feel blow this ... All this fat burning exercise & calorie counting for such slow progress ... I forget it is still PROGRESS ;-)
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Also hypo, so I know I'm in things for the long run. Was hypo all of my life, but finally diagnosed when I was over 30 because only women who were over a certain age or had been pregnant were at risk of being hypo according to accepted wisdom. Now taking levothyroxine

I have managed to lose over 50 lbs so far, and keep it off, but not quite where I want to be yet.

The biggest things are patience and finding a fitness routine that works for you. Starving won't do it (I'm eating avg over 1800 cal/day), and exercise is essential (working out 4x/week, mainly bodyweight and heavy objects).
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I am on the waiting list to have my thyroid out.

Yikees, you have a waiting list? For surgery?

My son had his out (cancerous nodular goiter) last year. It took about 15 days between diagnosis and removal (mostly related to me getting time off - we would have gone faster, but we didn't know about the cancer until it was out).

He's actually lost the bit of a belly he had since he had it removed - he gained a couple pounds during the several weeks without thyroid hormone (between surgery and irradiation).

I was worried about it - since I know some REALLY big people who have thyroid problems of some sort - but the surgeon didn't seemed concerned about the possibility and when I asked about it he had 2 bits of advice:

1. Eat right and workout
    2. Make sure you do your follow up visits regularly so that your levels are verified to be in the right place. If you start to gain - get re-checked, that "normal" is a range and there is some flex that can be adjusted.

Good luck!