Im scared of getting big thighs..

Options
I have been forming a workout program for myself. So far I have everything except for my legs. I have no idea what will make my thighs bulky or thin. I know you cant spot reduce fat. But certain exercises can help and tone them while im losing weight. I have people say no lunges will make them bulky.. or no no squats make them puffy. And then some people say no do lunges. I dont know who to listen to. Any help?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Neither squats nor lunges will make your thighs "puffy". They'll both improve the look of your legs, do them both.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why? What's so bad about big thighs?

However, will you be eating at a calorie deficit? If so, then there are no exercises that will make you gain any significant amount of muscle or fat.
  • whiteberry17
    whiteberry17 Posts: 124
    Options
    Yes. I eat 1300 cals. I have short legs im 5"3. So i have cubby thighs
  • BflSabrefan
    Options
    at 5'3 you should be eating more than 1300 calories. Do lunges and squats, with heavy weights. Eat more. You're welcome.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/what-heavy-lifting-really-does-to-your-body-546552

I'm deadlifting about 145 lbs, squatting 135, benching about 95, overhead press is about 70, and going to try for more today. I'm eating about 2000 calories a day, which is a slight deficit. (I'm 5'5 and 41 years old.)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people think it is easy to gain muscle. Your legs won't blow up from light training, especially due to the fact that you're in a caloric deficit.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    at 5'3 you should be eating more than 1300 calories. Do lunges and squats, with heavy weights. Eat more. You're welcome.

This
    I don't know why people think it is easy to gain muscle. Your legs won't blow up from light training, especially due to the fact that you're in a caloric deficit.

And this
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eat 1300 cals. I have short legs im 5"3. So i have cubby thighs

Then there's absolutely no reason to be afraid of your thighs getting bigger.

You're also 18. I'm guessing your thighs aren't as chubby as you think.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options

This

And this

This!

It's took me 2 years for my legs to start to outgrow my waist, and eating 3000+ calories, and Squatting over twice my Bodyweight.

Eat, Lift, and enjoy!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/what-heavy-lifting-really-does-to-your-body-546552

I'm deadlifting about 145 lbs, squatting 135, benching about 95, overhead press is about 70, and going to try for more today. I'm eating about 2000 calories a day, which is a slight deficit. (I'm 5'5 and 41 years old.)

trust her, she knows.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Dancers probably have the biggest toned thighs... well, anyone who does an incredible amount of exercise like dance, gymnastics, ice skating, etc. But have you ever looked at an Olympic ice skating athlete and said, "Wow, her thighs are huge!"? Probably not. They aren't skinny, to be sure, but they aren't fat or chubby or anything like that! They are sexy as all get out, I'd say.

But squats and lunges aren't going to do that to your legs. Really. You'll lose the chub and tone up a little, and you'll look and feel so much better!

Good luck!
  • DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    youre not going to get BIGGER thighs by working out... unless you take it past the point where they look trim and toned.... then yes, to a point... but muscly and toned is sexy!!! accept the squats, lunges, and workout machines that will tone those bad boys up!!! i've been working on them! and its awesome!! no more jiggles!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    <
    19.5" thighs, with a decent thigh gap.

I do squats and lunges about every other day. .
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    <
    I'm a dancer (and yoga enthusiast). This is what my thighs look like from about 10+ hours per week of dancing and 3 hours of yoga. I don't lift (yet), but tried out Crossfit a few weeks ago, and it wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be. Eat more!! Move and lift more, you won't get "big" thighs! :flowerforyou:
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I have 20.5" thighs with a noticeable thigh "gap" :wink:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If your thighs are already big and you're short like me and overweight, probably you are having a considerable amount of fat there. When you lose weight the fat will come off. You don't really need to do anything specific for the thighs.

In my case I personally choose to work my thighs out quite a bit with stairs workouts and squats and etc. because my thighs are my personal fastest growing muscle that I know of and I could feel under the fat that the muscles had gone way down and wanted to get more muscle under there for 2 reasons. 1) so they will look toned when the fat goes away and reveals them. and 2) so that I will have more muscle sooner and shift my fat to muscle ratio sooner and help my at rest metabolism get a boost to speed up my weight loss.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When i start working on my thighs, I feel they are stronger but not bigger. I think you will be fine.
  • whiteberry17
    whiteberry17 Posts: 124
    Options
    wow thanks for the answers guys. It helped alot :)
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    This.

Also, learn to love your body. I have a pear shape and thunder thighs, and wouldn't trade anything about my body for the world. I lift, I'm getting stronger, and I'm losing inches, everywhere.