I am not losing any weight!!! HELP!!!!

Options
I have been eating 1200-1400 calories a day plus exercising 5 days a week for almost a month now . I lost 2 lbs in my second week but gained it back in my third week. This is getting very frustrating. :explode: Why am I not losing weight?

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    What type of foods are you eating and how intense are your workouts? Sometimes it can take awhile to see any progress. I know its frustrating. You may want to experiment with eating more calories if your workouts are really intense. Maybe try it for awhile and re-evaluate. Also, if your exercise routine is new you may be retaining water which will cause fluctuations.
  • dailytammy
    dailytammy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Many different factors...what are you stats? what type of workout? are you eating all your calories? eating a lot of high carb, sugar, white products? Also initially when exercising fluid pulls into the muscles but will balance out eventually and you will see the loss. Stay focused and keeping going you are doing your body great things with exercising and eating healthy
  • Marilyn2303
    Marilyn2303 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a lot of processed foods that may be contributing. My problem is sodium, and a lot of processed foods have your full day's share in just one serving. Also drink tons of water. It will help. The big thing is don't get discouraged.
  • rmuck1
    rmuck1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 to 1400 calories for two months now and walking and working out twice a week and I have only lost 6 lbs, at this point I am ready to quit. But I am not going to give up just yet. Been reviewing what I have been eating for the past two months and made a few changes. Mine was drinking. so I am going to limit my drinking and I made a few changes in my diet, trying this one more time. Don't give up!!!!!:bigsmile:
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    That happened to me. Lost 5 lbs the first week, about 2 lbs the second and stalled the third week. I stayed off the scale and started eating more. Eat at least 1,600 calories a day.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to say whether you are eating too much or not enough without more statistics.

If you allowed MFP to set your calorie goal, you need to set an appropriate goal and eat back exercise calories as well.
  • jennishell
    Options
    I am eating healthy foods. Grilled chicken and veggies for dinner most nights, low fat cottage cheese and low carb yogurt for breakfast and a turkey sandwich for lunch. No white carbs at all. I have my coffee in the morning but other than that I drink water all day every day. My workouts consist of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred one night and pilates the next. I take a break on Fri and Sat from working out.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    JIllian Michaels 30 Day Shred does me no favors in weight loss, but reshapes the body. You could be retaining water and also building muscle, which will eventually cause weight loss but not immediate gratification.

I find that water makes the difference for me. Aim for at least half your body weight in ounces. Cottage cheese has a sneaky amount of sodium.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink? How much sodium do you consume? Do you eat back your exercise calories? I don't think you are eating enough to actually lose weight. It is super important to eat enough to properly fuel your body.
  • dailytammy
    dailytammy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    try snacking bw meals you should be eating every 2-3 hours I snack or eat atleast every 2 hours to keep your metabolism going.
  • Lammerchops
    Lammerchops Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure EVERYTHING using a foodscake? Every piece of meat, every ounce of cooking oil, every sauce you put on your chicken, etc?

Eating clean doesn't lead to weight loss, eating less calories than you burn leads to weight loss.

I don't need to know your stats. If you are truly eating 1,200-1,400 calories per day and exercising 5 days/week, the scale should be moving. Water, sodium, types of foods are all irrelevant.

You can eat only ice cream all day long if you burn more calories than you eat in ice cream. (I didn't say this would make you LOOK good, but the scale would indeed move.)

If you aren't losing weight, your tracking/weighing method for food is off.

Do you incorporate cheat days, or eat freely on the wknd? Do you eat out alot, in which case it's impossible to know how many calories you're ingesting? If you don't weigh/measure EVERY SINGLE THING going into your mouth, then we can't say that you're truly eating 1,200-1,400 calories a day, and therein may lie the problem.
  • MsTamikaP
    MsTamikaP Posts: 5
    Options
    Good morning! I experienced this before and what i've discovered is I retain a lot of "water weight" which comes from too much sodium/salt in my diet. Meaning although I was well within my calorie count for the day with moderate exercise, I wasn't losing. Also, be sure to get your 64 oz or 8 cups of water DAILY ... this will help as well. So try keeping a close eye on your sodium intake, get all of your water in daily and see if that improves your success!! GOOD LUCK ... WE CAN DO THIS!! :)
  • shellyq92
    shellyq92 Posts: 7
    Options
    :grumble: I have been eating about the same amount of calories as you and also run for 30 min 5 times per week. I lost 1 pound and gained it back and have been on MFP for about a month. I have tried eating just the 1200 calories and then also tried eating the additional allowed back and neither seems to make a difference. I'm trying not to give up but would also like to know what to do next .
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, so can't see what you are eating. Most likely, you are not eating enough to fuel your body to exercise 5 days per week.
  • jennishell
    Options
    Thanks all, I checked my sodium intake and it was higher than I expected. Not bad but higher. I am going to start watching that plus up my caloric intake to about 1500-1600 a day for a week or two and see how that works. Hopefully something will give.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to say whether you are eating too much or not enough without more statistics.

If you allowed MFP to set your calorie goal, you need to set an appropriate goal and eat back exercise calories as well.

This!^

If you told MFP "I want to lose 2 pounds a week"......MFP is going to spit out numbers based upon that .... it doesn't mean that 2 pounds a week is a practical goal for you. Use this as a guide.

Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range

Not eating back exercise calories (if that's the case) is going to make you lose weight "faster" ....but you are more prone to stalling out... so is it really faster? Slow & steady weight loss helps you preserve existing muscle mass and is less frustrating.