Negative side effects of dieting

Options
Hey guys! I was wondering if any of you guys face negative side effects from dieting? I am in quite a dilemma now as I want to lose weight and look good but at the same time, be healthy and not to obsess over calories and weight loss. So far, I have lost 25kg and am proud of that but I also experienced hair loss, constipation etc. What should I do? Oh and please feel free to add me as a friend as I would like to see how others are getting by their calories etc. Thanks!:)

Replies

• cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    Iv not had any negatives as of yet... apart from due to diet change i have... wind. Although, iv only lost 12lb so far.

Obsessing over calories i dont get, i check an weigh things, if it dosnt fit i either exercise a bit more to fit it in.. or if im feeling lazy/done enough for the day i dont have it.

Feel free to add me.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced anything negative with my weight loss. How many calories are you eating? Constipation can be from changing your diet, but hair loss is usually from a deficiency of something.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I was wondering if any of you guys face negative side effects from dieting? I am in quite a dilemma now as I want to lose weight and look good but at the same time, be healthy and not to obsess over calories and weight loss. So far, I have lost 25kg and am proud of that but I also experienced hair loss, constipation etc. What should I do? Oh and please feel free to add me as a friend as I would like to see how others are getting by their calories etc. Thanks!:)

Hair loss? How many calories are you eating?
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The hair loss might be because you are lacking in vitamins. Start taking a daily multi vitamin it should help with that.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    If you are having hair loss you probably aren't getting enough to eat and enough protein. Go seek out the help of a Registered Dietician and doctor. This really isn't the forum for medical advice and you are young so take care of your health. Please go see a professional for assistance.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    There are no negative side effects if you eat a reasonable deficit instead of trying to starve.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    These are side effects of malnutrition and starvation, not eating at a deficit. You need to see a doctor.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Other than the negative side effect of having to buy a new wardrobe and shoes and getting my wedding ring resized......I have experienced a vitamin E deficiency that my doc figures is from the amount of daily exercise I am doing....a vitamin E pill in the morning added to my daily vitamin seems to be doing the trick. If you keep losing hair I would recommend a trip to see the doctor as this could very well be caused by other issues that need to be looked at.
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking enough water, getting enough calories and taking appropriate vitamin/mineral supplements. Sometimes hair loss and constipation can be something simple like a shock to your system. If you weren't being healthy and now - BAM! - you're gung ho with a new routime, you might have shaken things up. But if it doesn't go back to normal, you might want to consult with a doctor and make sure you're truly being healthy.

I've been lax with my journal lately, but feel free to add me. I'm trying to get back on the wagon.
  • mgnmsn1
    mgnmsn1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hair loss. (I am 21) and I have gone to the doctors and am on biotin, multivitamins, and using a hair loss preventative shampoo.Definitely go to a doctor. My dermatologist also did blood tests. Oh and also I eat 1800 to 2000 calories a day. So definitely hairloss was not contributed to not eating! :)

I also had to have my gall bladder removed and the doctor said it was directly related to my weightloss. Metabolizing too much fat too quickly or something.

But the pros definitely outweight the cons! :) I cannot wait to lose more!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    All indications that you're under nourishing your body with too severe of a calorie restriction. It's a marathon, not a sprint. You can eat more, not be sick, and still lose weight. If you're losing your hair, it should be a pretty clear indication that you're doing it wrong.
  • NeverGiveUpzxc
    Options
    Hey guys! Thanks for all the replies. I would like to clarify that I feel that I do eat enough i.e. I do not feel hungry during the day and eat pretty normally but my calorie intake is about 850kcal. I know that sounds dangerously low but comparing to what seemed like a diet plan, I feel that I am eating much more than that. I am not sure if I am entering correct portion sizes though....
  • NeverGiveUpzxc
    Options
    Please add me as a friend and help me to monitor my food diary. Thanks a million:)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Thanks for all the replies. I would like to clarify that I feel that I do eat enough i.e. I do not feel hungry during the day and eat pretty normally but my calorie intake is about 850kcal. I know that sounds dangerously low but comparing to what seemed like a diet plan, I feel that I am eating much more than that. I am not sure if I am entering correct portion sizes though....

You admit that it sounds dangerously low, you are having negative side effects and your hair is falling out. There's a common denominator here.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would say that the only negative side effect of no longer eating fried food, red meat, and fast food is simply that it is a bit more expensive... But, it is worth it...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Not feeling hungry is also a symptom of starving yourself. You are not eating enough and the side effects are going to get worse, not better.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty sure thing that at 850 cals, you're not getting the vitamins you need. Other people have suggested that you see a doctor, and I am DEFINITELY going to agree with them. You should never undertake a VLCD without the supervision of a physician for the exact reasons that you've mentioned - those are side effects of malnourishment, not "dieting" and it's doing your body a lot of harm. I've seen women admitted to the ER puffy, lethargic and only partially conscious due to eating the way you're eating.

If you start to notice your hands, feet or face (especially around your eyes) getting puffy, I'd go straight to the hospital.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I experienced hair loss while I was losing weight at a 1.5-2 pound a week rate. My hair was still very thick and healthy and I had blood work done by my doctor so no deficiencies or thyroid problem. Now that my weight has stabilized over the last 4 months, much to my annoyance I would prefer to lose a bit more, the hair loss has stopped.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Not sure if serious or troll.

850 cals... thinking troll but maybe eating disorder.

If you're not a troll, see a couple of doctors; one to fix your physical health, the other to fix your mental health.