When do you weigh yourself??

Options
I used to weigh myself everyday...im kind of obsessed about it...but ive been losing weight the "healthy" way and ive noticed that the weight is coming off more slowly...BUT i see a lot of great changes in my body...which is fine...however sometimes it can be discouraging....did anyone else lose weight slowly while lifting weights?...im doing p90x right now....i guess im going to start weighing myself one day a week....i was wondering when other people weigh their self.....When is your weigh in day?

Replies

• leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    When I was in full "weight loss" mode, I would weigh myself once a week, the same time of the day, same day of the week, every week, wearing basically the same thing (gym clothes) at the gym, with my trainer. Sort of provided that other eye and documented I was doing what I said I was doing.

That was the "official" weigh-in. But I weighed my self every day. Just don't sweat the day-to-day deviations. Your body can easily fluctuate a few pounds of water so don't sweat any perceived daily weight gain/loss. Intra-day my weight can move 5 pounds or more. I know I'll weigh a few pounds less first thing in the morning than when I go to bed.

But for a real read on how you are doing, once a week is more than enough. And just look at the trend. Sometimes it will be more, sometimes less, but average it out and if the trend is going in the right direction, you are good.
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options
    friday morning, then i have the whole week to work off what i might have put on over the weekend if ive been out for a drink or eaten out etc. :)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily now; for a long time I was only weighing once a week but I recently decided I want to weigh daily and track trends so now I weigh every morning first thing. I only record my weight here on MFP on Fridays though, the rest of the time I use app on my phone.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Official weigh in day is Friday morning, but I might "check in" other days of the week. I log every weigh in here on MFP but only my weeklies in my Excel chart.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, first thing in the morning, before I drink or eat, and after I use the restroom.

That way, what I'm eating throughout the day doesn't really impact my measurement.
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    My official weigh in day is Wed., so if I eat a little extra on the weekend or don't exercise enough, I can make it up on Monday and Tuesday. Sometimes I weigh more often then that, just to keep my focus.
  • bad_hair_bear
    Options
    I "officially" weigh in first thing on a Monday morning, as soon as I get up (after I've had a pee, but that may be TMI). However, I tend to actually weigh myself daily when I get up, and sometimes later in the day too. I'm fascinated by how my weight can fluctuate over the course of a day or two, and relating that to what foods I've eaten. The trick is though to not get hung up on the numbers, and instead concentrate on the overall trend.
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input!! =) Ive decided to weigh myself on Mondays and Fridays.....Fridays to see how my hard work has paid off and Monday to see how hard i need to work to recover from my "chill" day Sunday lol....and i might weigh another time if i eat something that makes me think it will affect my weight...lol
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think everyone (or at least most people) go through that too where they weigh themselves several times a week and maybe even several times a day. I know I did that when I first started! But you don't want it to become an obsession... So I only weigh myself on Sunday mornings right when I wake up. Like you said, it can be very discouraging especially if the scale is going up, up, and up! Your weight fluctuates throughout the day and you'll end up with five different numbers if you weigh yourself several times throughout the day. So stick with one day a week in the mornings and you'll have a more accurate number! :)
  • andijean31
    andijean31 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I weigh and record every Friday morning, but sometimes I get curious about my progress and will also weigh myself (but not record it) on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The 1st and 15th of every month. It's the only way I don't become obsessive.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself a couple times a week. First thing in the morning, after a pee and preferably after a poo.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I record weight every morning, and sometimes weigh at night to look. Pretty interesting.

Sunday morning I was 2 pounds heavier than Monday morning. Fewer data points may lead to confusion, or increase satisfaction.
  • luulu1999
    luulu1999 Posts: 119
    Options
    I am another daily weigher....I weigh as soon as I get to work every morning....typically I only log on Weds unless there was a big difference...It makes me feel better to do it everyday for some reason
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    *For me, it's whenever I go to the Dr's office. I go by tape measurements and how my clothes fit. That scale drives me nutso and to see it jumping around due to natural body fluctuations would.....ugh, just ugh. I started at size 16 in January, and now some of my 10's are getting loose....that's all I need to know! :happy:
  • femmefae
    femmefae Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Monday morning sans clothing. I also tape measure about once a month, typically the first of every month :)
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Right now I am obsessed with my new digital scale so I weigh every morning before breakfast. It fluctuates everyday, depending on how I did the day before! After I read a few of the posts, I will only go by Friday mornings from now on to record losses on MFP:) At this point I have to know every day what that scale registers but I know I will get over that as I go along (I Hope)!
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    First thing Monday mornings I weigh myself. I also try to remember to take my measurements every Monday too.

If you do both every time, you can see if you are making non-scale progress.