Running Shoes

Options
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a decent pair of running shoes. There is such a variety out there and not too sure what to buy. I am 42 years old and am starting as a newbie. I have 30 to 40 lbs to lose and am totally out of shape but know that in the long haul walking/running will help me. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, lease feel free to share. Thanks!

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do is go to a running store and have them fit you for shoes. They should have you run around either in the parking lot or on a treadmill to see how you run then start showing you shoes. Good luck!!
  • kastlekonmama2012
    kastlekonmama2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for idea =)
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I LOVE New Balance....I have huge feet and buy men's running shoes as I believe they are made better, last longer and fit better. New Balance comes in widths that are friendly to my feet. Price is friendly to my budget!

Shirley (from close to Eugene, Oregon running capital of the world in my oopinion!)
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    Best thing you can do is go to a running store and have them fit you for shoes. They should have you run around either in the parking lot or on a treadmill to see how you run then start showing you shoes. Good luck!!

This. There's no single solution best shoe. Pairs wear differently on different people depending on a lot of different factors. And a good pair of running shoes makes a huge difference, so go to a good shoe / foot store where they test.
  • meadowsmummy
    meadowsmummy Posts: 108
    Options
    i love my new balances as well.
    My trainer swears by Asics but they are a little out of my price range
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above about going to a store to get fitted, or if you know your foot (whether you are flat footed, pronate, etc), you can research the different styles of shoes for your type of foot. I personally need a "stability" running shoe. On that note, I have been running my whole life and have tried every shoe brand. I find Nike to be the best (for my foot) with Asics a close second. Not a fan at all of New Balance or Rebook, wouldn't wear them even if you paid me to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    running store and get fitted. the shoe that is right for you may or may not be the shoe that is right for me...it depends on whether you pronate or not...or go the other way...neutral, etc. They should have you run on a treadmill and take video of you running/walking. They should bring you multiple shoes, not just one brand to see what works for you.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Ditto, only thing I would recommend is a light weight vented pair for summer I use new balance 860 and a heavy dutier pair insulated for the winter months I use Brooks Ghost GTX running shoe. Along with some good moisture wicking socks.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my merrell pace gloves and new balance minimus' but I agree with everyone else that our feet are all differently so best thing is to try them on/ get help.

(Caveat for me, professional fitters never helped me because i prefer somewhat "barefoot" shoes, though not vibrams. but it seems to work for others.)
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "get fitted" advice... I spent a lot of money on my first "real" running shoes and wound up with an Achilles injury.
    I then, got fitted and spent a whole bunch of money Again, to get the proper shoes.

I now have 2 pairs of expensive running shoes. One to run in and one to look at.
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I went to get fitted at a running store and the shoes they brought out seemed to be way to big. I normally wear about an 11 and they were bringing me 13's. I wasn't really comfortable with any of the shoes they brought out, although some were better than others. I ended up going to a sporting goods store and picking out a few pairs that I liked. I found a great pair of neutral running shoes and they have been working out great. I've put about 30 miles on them and they feel great. They are a 12 wide instead of a 13. And they are not the type of shoes that were recommended at the store, but they are very comfortable and great for me.

I think going to get fitted is great, but ultimately you have to decide what is going to work for you, what you are looking for.
  • kastlekonmama2012
    kastlekonmama2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be heading to our local running center to determine what a good fit would be.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - go to a running store and get fitted. It can get pricey but it is very important for injury prevention to have a proper fitting shoe. A lot of running shoes run small compared to street shoes, so don't be surprised if they are 1 or 2 sizes bigger than you normally wear.

Another tip - your feet swell during the day and while you run (especially in the summer heat). I typically buy my shoes on Saturday afternoons after my long run. If I buy them early in the day and before I run, I am more likely to get a pair that ends up being snug during my runs and gives blisters.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Another vote for running store...it doesn't matter what other people love or hate...what matters is what the right shoe for YOU is...

Good luck!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    Good luck finding the perfect fit. I second the poster who also mentioned socks. I almost think the right sock is more important than the right shoe. I was having serious blister issues until I got me some Wright socks. They were seriously proud of those socks when they put a price tag on them, but to me they are worth every penny. I have not had a blister since I bought them.

As for shoes, I prefer Brooks but I have worn Asics, Mizuno and Saucony with good results. I wear a full size larger in running shoes than I do in dress shoes. I also had issues with my toenails falling off from a combination of the elliptical and bad fitting shoes and one serious bout with plantar fasciitis. I've never been able to wear New Balance but others swear by them. That is why it is important to be fitted.

Yes, I have very high maintenance feet, apparently, so I shell out the big bucks. I'd rather put my money in my shoes than in doctor co-pays.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my merrell pace gloves and new balance minimus' but I agree with everyone else that our feet are all differently so best thing is to try them on/ get help.

(Caveat for me, professional fitters never helped me because i prefer somewhat "barefoot" shoes, though not vibrams. but it seems to work for others.)

This. I also wouldn't get too caught up in the whole gait analysis bit. If you find a pair of shoes that works, go with it, even if it's not the proper shoe (so they say). And yes, I use minimalist shoes. My current rotation is the NB Minimus Zero and the Altra One.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Vibram fivefinger toe shoes, the best there is imo.