Why Why Why

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    @OP,

juicing is a weight loss gimmick. Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is propaganda for a fad diet (raw foods). don't fall for weight loss gimmicks or fads.

http://thehealthydoc.blogspot.com/2011/08/fat-sick-and-nearly-dead-review.html
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/910027-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-934492.html
    etc.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Got a microwave in your cab?

If so, make up batches of food in tupperware. Label each one, and just eat what's in your box at the allocated time. When you pull up at a stop, take a 20 minute walk away from the truck and back again.

Adopt a small dog from a shelter. Middle aged, small enough to be happy in the passenger seat and satisfied with you throwing a ball and walking him on stops a couple of times a day. Dog gets a happy new life, you get off your *kitten* cos the little mite needs some exercise.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think you have just taken the first BIG step and that is asking for help. We have all felt alone. I think when we reach our highest in weight no matter how much it may be. We feel like no one else has an understanding and we are alone, but this sight does make a difference. I think you have many options and most of them have been mentioned already, but I want to confirm it. Walking makes a world of difference. Every time you can stop I would. It may not seem like much, but it really is. Pick up some small light weight hand weights and if you are staying in your cab somewhere then lift them. If you sleep in your cab lay flat and lift your legs. ou don't have to burn yourself out, but as you feel better about what you are doing you will want to do more. Most resturaunts have healthier choices to eat and only have healthy snacks in your cab for the road. If your a big pop drinker switch to something else. Good luck and do this for yourself. Just think about how much better you will feel in a month! You are welcomed to add me as a friend. Good luck!
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    my uncle is also a trucker. when he was told he was borderline diabetic (which meant if he'd have to kiss his job bye bye if it actually developed) he started going on 2-5 mile walks after he'd pull the truck over at a rest stop or truck stop. he also started making healthier choices in where he ate while on the road. I understand, the options are pretty limited with a truck, but you can always park it one place, and then walk over to another restaurant to get your food.

good luck to you!
    Hi Patrick! What Bynsky said is what I also thought. And, I know truckers who have joined a gym, or, there are some truck stops now that HAVE exercise rooms and better food choices. All in all, you can do this if you are determined.
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    OK this may sound totally stupid and if so, forgive. Me. Can you get a dog? To keep you company on the road. I know it isn't the same as human companionship but..... you wouldn't be alone. Someone else would be relying on you. He/she would need walks forcing you to stop and get little walks in once in a while.

Yes! Exactly this! This is a wonderful idea! Feel free to send me a friend request if you want another MFP buddy : )
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Focus on improving your health and quality of life. You can do this.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You've gotten many good suggestions on here already...here's my two-cents worth:

When I decided to take on having a healthier lifestyle I started with what was already working for me. I really like most healthy food, so that's where I started. I keep tweaking what I like to eat by adding in an extra fruit or veggie or drinking another glass of water and one less glass of soda. I didn't just drastically change my life because I knew I would crash and burn. Now, in your case you have to find your starting place...maybe its going for a 10 minute walk; maybe its drinking more water (less soda, coffee, tea, etc); maybe it's finding a support group; maybe its trying to eat an extra piece of fruit or cup of veggies each day. The whole point is pick something small you can do and just do it consistently. After a few weeks or a month (when you realize its a habit), pick something else to add to it. I know its a slow process, and we all want overnight success, but you can do this.

Last things, a couple of other ideas I haven't seen mentioned that may be helpful in your situation is 1) resistance bands (easy to store in the truck); 2) journaling (you can also keep track of your food/calories, if you don't have access to MFP); 3) There are a series of books called EAT THIS, NOT THAT which may be helpful to you for making healthier food choices when eating in restaurants.
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love the dog suggestion too! My heart aches for you after reading your post...I think you are overwhelmed by the work ahead of you and you are letting it discourage you from really committing to a lifestyle change. Try to stop focusing on what you have to lose and how long it may take to get there. Take it one day at a time and focus on small changes. If you try to do to much all at once, it will be easier to just give up and let it go. How about tomorrow, you simply make yourself drink 8 full glasses of water (if you don't already)...or if you have a particular snack you eat regularly that is not a good choice, how about NOT eating just that one thing tomorrow (make sure not to replace it with something else that is equally bad for you). It is small steps like this that will eventually get you where you need to be. Feel free to add me if you need some encouragement.
  • katealbright
    katealbright Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just watched a documentary called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead where a truck driver loses an incredible amount of weight on the road and gave up a slew of medications by going on a juice fast and adopting a juicing lifestyle. I don't really believe in juice or fasting myself but it seems like it is very helpful for people who are very overweight, cannot exercise a lot, have health problems, and live on the road where family/friend support and healthy choices can be few and far between. If nothing else you may find his story inspiring. It's on Netflix.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    There's another member on MFP that has very similar circumstances. You can read about his success story here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/897136-i-ve-lost-228-pounds-lost-in-12-months

He's also a trucker and is up to a 250lb loss. It can be done.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Got a microwave in your cab?

If so, make up batches of food in tupperware. Label each one, and just eat what's in your box at the allocated time. When you pull up at a stop, take a 20 minute walk away from the truck and back again.

Adopt a small dog from a shelter. Middle aged, small enough to be happy in the passenger seat and satisfied with you throwing a ball and walking him on stops a couple of times a day. Dog gets a happy new life, you get off your *kitten* cos the little mite needs some exercise.

This ^^^^
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I started this at 376 in April 2011. I just had a surgery on March 29 that recovery was VERY difficult, and I ended up gaining 17-18 pounds from using the excuse that doctors told me (which they did) that I didn't need to lose weight while recovering.

My "moment" was when I attended a school event with my oldest daughter who was in first grade. I had a hard time walking to the door (about 30 yards away), had to stop multiple times, and once inside (it was cold out), I had to sit on the floor because I was so out of shape and had to catch my breath. I had the audacity to try to blame it on the staff there saying if they hadn't made me walk "3 miles" from the parking lot, I would have been fine. I remember sitting there thinking "something's got to change."

The next week I had an appointment with a lap-band surgeon who told me I'd have to lose 90 pounds before they'd do it. I about choked. I thought "If I could have done that on my own, I wouldn't be here!!" BUT I did what they told me to do.....meet with the dietician once a month, go have an assessment by a therapist (who recommended I see another therapist who I still see - he had the bypass surgery), the therapist recommended I also join weight watchers (I go weigh in weekly, but rarely stay for the meetings)....etc. etc. etc.

I ended up losing the 90 pounds at a rate of 1.5 pounds/week. My thought was, "If I'm losing at an above average rate, why am I going to do the lap band?" That was last September.

I had surgery on March 29 to remove the extra fat/skin from my stomach area (panniculectomy). The surgeon took off 26 pounds. I wanted to get it done because my back was still aching, and I knew it was from carrying that around and because we were going to Disney - I wanted to be recovered from the surgery and able to walk around without my back hurting (mission accomplished). Had my birthday on Friday (I'm 47 now), and went back to weigh in today for the first time since May 8....I gained basically 18 pounds. Ugh.

What I haven't mentioned yet is that EVERYBODY from my family to my husband was absolutely convinced that I needed to have the surgery done - that I wasn't going to be able to do this on my own. Here it is 2 years and 3 months later - and I've lost 128 pounds (as of today's gain). It's something! Nobody in my family nor my husband thought I'd be able to do it. Some people at work really questioned it.

I still attend support group meetings at the lap-band surgeon's office - they still invite me and I still attend when I can. That doctor has told people if there's ever a time to be selfish, it's now when you're trying to improve your health.

I've stopped at truck stops where they have fruit/veggies. Even the fast food restaurants have grilled chicken now. Get a grilled chicken sandwich without the bun, cut it up and dip it in a dipping sauce. Get some protein bars....I like the Chocolite ones (www.healthsmartfoods.com) my husband likes the cashew caramel, I like the triple chocolate fudge, and we both like the cookies/cream.

One of the nutritionists I've seen has said to focus on lean, healthy proteins, and the carbs/fats will take care of themselves. I've pretty much found that to be true.

It's important for you to try to do what you can to control your environment. I've heard a saying, "It isn't what happens to you, it's what you do about it." You can't control certain things, but your food intake - any exercise you do - that is within your control. Don't use being a truck driver and being alone as an excuse. Have a loved one write a letter or make a tape telling you how cool you are so you can have it with you on your trips. My husband and I both tell each other about "things you do I think are awesome" and when we appreciate stuff. Most people don't to that - it was something we were taught to do and we still struggle with it after 19 years of marriage.

Just something to think about.....
  • MrsM0053
    MrsM0053 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to be a wellness coach and addiction counselor. I used to work with people who were in the trucking industry and it is hard to make the changes you want/need. Eating and tobacco were part of the lifestyle, so I get it. But I promise that you can do this! It takes motivation and it takes time. There have been some great suggestions on here like getting a pet. As an animal advocate myself - I think this is great IF and only IF you are in the relationship for the long haul. Please don't get a disposable pet. It is cruel and unfair to the dog. I have 4 dogs right now because of people getting a dog and then abandoning them because they no longer had time/space.

But here are my thoughts:
    Step 1: Pat yourself on the back for making the decision to post here on MFP
    Step 1a: Schedule an appointment with Dr to make sure you are healthy to begin a exercise plan and get their recommendations. How is your heart? How is your glucose? Do you have sleep apnea? ETC.
    Step 2: Slowly cut out all sugary beverages. I say slowly because getting rid of sugars and caffeine quickly can make you fatigued. Driving while tired is not safe! I recommend a step-down program by first documenting your food/beverages and then start cutting back (depending on how many drinks you have per week...lets say 2 per day - so 14 per week...cut out 2 per week until you are down to 0 per week) Do this while increasing water intake. Adding things like lemon wedges to your water can be a tasty way to add flavor.
    Step 3: Get a pedometer. Keep track of your steps and movement...there are great devices out there right now like Nike Fuel Band and Jawbone Up (which I prefer over nike) that can help log your movement and even sleep patterns. Often people aren't sleeping well and that is a major factor in weight gain weight loss issues. But these run around $129-$199 so you can get a clip on plain pedometer from Target for like $10.
    Step 4: Get a cooler for veggies and high-fiber foods. This will keep you fuller longer. Stay away from things like rice cakes that seem easy and convenient. They aren't any more convenient than eating an apple - but an apple is cheaper and healthier.
    Step 5: Set SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-bound). First of all, I would recommend setting smaller weight-loss goals. You have a very large target. And that is great but if you set goals that are more achievable like 20 lbs at a time, you will feel less overwhelmed and alone. Goals can be something along the lines of: I will lose 2 lbs this week by walking 10,000 steps each day and replacing all fried food with a veggie/fruit. Or I will lose 10 lbs by the end of July by only drinking water instead of sugary (including diet) beverages. This way you can reward yourself when you reach your goals which will help keep you motivated. Trust me on this one!!!
    Step 6: Keep it up. One day at a time...that is all you can do and you have to let yourself acknowledge this. You aren't going to cure yourself in 1 month, this is going to take the time and commitment. But you are on your way so just keep trucking :wink:
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Pat,

You have been on my Friends list for a while, I really feel for your struggles. We have shared some nice messages back and forth and I know how hard you are trying. Don't feel like you are bothering me if you want to send me a PM, I will always answer when I can.

You are doing really good, you have gone to never logging to logging most days. You aren't logging all of your intake but you ARE logging and that is a big thing for you. You are also logging on every day for some time now, early on you would frequently only be checking in every 3 or 4 days. You have gone from having nothing but your favorite biscuits and gravy every morning to more of a variety.

While you may not be able to see it, as one standing a little bit outside and seeing your progression I can see you are making many changes that are all very positive. One step at a time, you are making improvements. Each change may seem small, but all of those small changes are very important.

You can do this, I have seen the desire in your posts!
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Patrick, you have lots of support here. I think it's a matter of changing what you are/not
    doing. Can you look for healthier alternatives to keep in your truck instead of drive ups?
    I was 316+ once upon a time, many ppl here lost more than you need to as well. A few
    little changes might become big changes in your health and eventually your body will
    transform but it takes determination. Find something you love and use it to fuel your
    fire and keep yourself focused on positive/healthy reasons to modify your lifestyle. You
    are worth the effort so just believe in ,you'. :)
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    my uncle is also a trucker. when he was told he was borderline diabetic (which meant if he'd have to kiss his job bye bye if it actually developed) he started going on 2-5 mile walks after he'd pull the truck over at a rest stop or truck stop. he also started making healthier choices in where he ate while on the road. I understand, the options are pretty limited with a truck, but you can always park it one place, and then walk over to another restaurant to get your food.

good luck to you!

I think this is an excellent idea. Hope it might work for you Patrick.
  • pktruckdriver
    pktruckdriver Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Let me say thank you for all the replies. Many of them are truly worthwhile and have been explored by me and the best one, was getting a dog for me in the truck, which currently is not allowed, but I am working on it, so maybe a few prayers may help break the current 'NO PETS policy".

I KNOW I AM NOT THE ONLY PERSON OUT HERE THAT IS TRULY ALL BY HIM/HER SELF. Sorry caps stuck.

Being lonely is never easy to deal with, and lately the online thing is not really giving me the feeling that it should, is this wrong, as it is not really a face to face , a handshake or hug, someone to have a cup of coffee with, go for a walk, talk about what ya eating today, or what you buy at the store for the week ahead, things normal people do everyday.

Friendship is something you do not even miss until you no longer have it, or your family is gone, but friending me is still greatly appreciated, honestly. I will snap out of it sooner or later and maybe online friends will be enough.

Again thank you all

Gotta run again

Patrick
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'm alone too, but I don't let that stop me. Sure, sometimes I get down on myself when I go home to an empty house and want to eat my misery away. But, will that help me make more friends? No. But maybe, if I get my butt to the gym, I'll make a new friend there. I know this may be a little more difficult/different for you being on the road, but what it comes down to is this, you have to motivate yourself. Someone else can help give you motivation, but it really comes from inside. Why do you want to get healthier? Let that be the reason that drives you. For me I also think about the guilt. I know I can do to Dairy Queen right now and get that Blizzard I've been thinking about for 2 days, but if I do, I will only feel happy in the moment and even more guilty later. I'm trying to pull myself out of that cycle of eat-guilt-eat more-more guilt and just make good choices to begin with. The more good choices I make the better I feel about myself and the less lonely I feel.

Maybe you can also reach out on this site or within your company - send out a message to other truck drivers also looking to lose some weight. You can set up a calling schedule where you call at least one other person on the list at least once a day to check in. For me at least talking on the phone with another person is much more meaningful that communicating over the internet.
  • CampMom10
    CampMom10 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Pat, How are you doing? How have your past few days been? I hope you are doing well and are making progress toward your goals!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Hi
    You are getting the same advice as you've got in the past but for some reason, are not taking it. If you truly want to,sort this- you are thevonly one who can do this. It's all been said before but if you want to,help yourself you need to stop making excuses and find clay to get professional help - if you feel you can't do this alone. Your friends have been saying things to help you for ages- just like people have in this thread. It hasn't worked though so you need to try something different and get help from a professional.

I know this sounds tough but you can't just keep going on like this.