Negative side effects of dieting

Options
2»

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Thanks for all the replies. I would like to clarify that I feel that I do eat enough i.e. I do not feel hungry during the day and eat pretty normally but my calorie intake is about 850kcal. I know that sounds dangerously low but comparing to what seemed like a diet plan, I feel that I am eating much more than that. I am not sure if I am entering correct portion sizes though....

850 calories isn't enough for your organs to function. It seems that your brain has already been affected. Please seek help.
  • NeverGiveUpzxc
    Options
    Help needed? Example of one day's diet plan

Breakfast: Oatmeal (about 1/3 cup dry) and medium Banana
    Lunch: Ham and lettuce sandwich w/ Wholemeal Bread
    Dinner: Asian noodle soup (About 300kcals)
    Snacks: Oatmeal cookie (Quaker Honey Nuts)
  • NeverGiveUpzxc
    Options
    Also, what can I eat to boost my calorie intake?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any negative side effects.

Use Olive Oil when you cook
    Peanut Butter (2 TBSP is Aprox 190 calories)
    Avocado
    Snack on Nuts
    Protein Shake
    Add Cheese (full fat kind) to your sandwich
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Also, what can I eat to boost my calorie intake?

Anything. You can eat anything you like. Add butter and brown sugar to your oatmeal. Add a spread to your sandwich. Have an extra cookie at some point. Saute or roast veggies in oils. Have nuts and nut butters. Cheese is good or go out for french fries occasionally.

Edit: Also a multi-vitamin to help as well.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hair loss can be a sign of not enough protein. If I were you, I would focus on eating more lean protein, chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, nuts.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    OP, if the past few days are typical your hair loss is likely a symptom of too little calories and specifically too little fat. Cutting fat is a quick way to cut calories, but fat is necessary for proper body function.

Best advice I can give is stop crash dieting and eat a balanced diet and exercise.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Negative effects? Well, these shorts look funny with the only belt I have that fits (a slightly dressy thin leather belt) but they will fall down without them.

850 is low. If you don't have a peanut butter allergy, a peanut butter and honey sandwich is good for 300-500 calories depending on how thick you slather it on.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    At 18 years old, you should probably be eating double what you are eating now. Adding stuff like nuts, eggs, cheese, cooking food in olive oil, protein bars, protein shakes, ice cream or going to town on a peanut butter jar all work.

BTW, the only side effect for me, is I can't eat 3000 calories until I get the body I want. I hate only being on 2500 calories.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Help needed? Example of one day's diet plan

Breakfast: Oatmeal (about 1/3 cup dry) and medium Banana
    Lunch: Ham and lettuce sandwich w/ Wholemeal Bread
    Dinner: Asian noodle soup (About 300kcals)
    Snacks: Oatmeal cookie (Quaker Honey Nuts)

I'd say you need to add in some vegetables too to get more fiber and that will help with the constipation. None of these side effects you have are the result of a normal weight loss diet. You are restricting way too much and not eating enough fruits and vegetables IMHO. You're also not getting much healthy fats, which your body needs to function.

Try adding avocados, cooking veggies in olive oil or making a salad with olive oil based dressing. Whole eggs would be good. Raw nuts or nut butter? Like almond butter on apple slices or celery?

You definitely need to eat significantly more than that.

I don't have any negative side effects from dieting - other than needing to shop for new clothes, but that's fun, just $$. I have more energy, better skin, etc.
  • anyamb
    anyamb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your food diary, and you seem to be eating a relatively healthy diet with the exception of two things:

1.) Not quite enough calories, which an lead to malnourishment or nutritional deficiencies. I think your goal of 1200 kcals is okay, especially if it is leaving you feeling full, but you should really try to meet it and not fall under.

2.) Not quite enough colorful vegetables and oils.

I think working towards solving #2 will help with solving #1.

I noticed you like Asian food (particularly noodle soups). Try adding just a bit more vegetables to your soups - a handful of mushrooms, carrots or turnips, or something dark and leafy like bok choy or spinach. The cabbage you have been adding is good, but you will get more nutrition out of something leafy that's a darker green. If you live near an Asian grocery, that can be a great place to find a huge variety of dark leafy greens for very cheap.

Something else to try is to just increase your portion size, even just a little. For example, your diary says that a few days ago you had 0.5 cups of homemade chicken/turkey/veg. stew over 0.33 cups or rice. If you were to have even just 0.25 cups more of the stew and up your amount of rice to an even 0.5 cups (which volume-wise isn't really that much more), you could add around 100 kcals to the day.

I agree with some of the other posters that you could use a little more fat in your diet. Just a tablespoon of olive or canola oil will add around 120 kcals and be good for you heart and cardiovascular system. Don't be afraid to cook with it or to drizzle a little on a meal. Just don't go overboard with it.

I hope this is helpful. You are welcome to friend me. My calorie goal is 1500 and I eating back most of what I exercise, but I tend to log my stuff as recipes, so it can be difficult to get a good feel for what I am actually eating for some meals.

*Edited because a teaspoon is not a tablespoon.