Light summer meals

Options
I am trying to get more ideas of summer time easy, light, and healthy meals to make. What are some of your favorites?

Replies

• SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad, healthy tacos...
  • LouiseOverbeck
    Options
    We do eat a lot of fruit. I will have to get stuff for tacos. Haven't had them in a while and they sound really good.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers (ground turkey, salsa, an egg (or egg white)). Super yummy with some guac on top.

Grilled salmon and asparagus
  • LouiseOverbeck
    Options
    I eat lots of fish and turkey burgers. Those are some of our favs in our house.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Taco SALAD, Kabobs (chicken or beef) with rice pilaf (you could use quinoa or another grain if you prefer) or wrap your meat and veggies in lettuce or a pita with some tzatziki.

We do chicken and corn on the grill with fruit salad on the side, steaks,
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    This one is my new favorite summer salad! :bigsmile:
    Spinach with a few sliced strawberries, Half an avocado, a tablespoon or 2 of sunflower seeds. Drizzle some balsamic vinegar diluted in water with some stevia. For a boost of protein you can also add chicken breast . Yummy!
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I think summer I think of the grill - these aren't really meals, but some good and healthy things from the grill

Grilled veggies - Asparagus, peppers, onions, green squash - with olive oil and a little lemon juice or vinegar
    Grilled fish - Made grilled swordfish tacos this weekend with guacamole, salsa, and broccoli cole slaw
    Grilled salmon on a cedar plank
    Grilled portabello (sp?) mushrooms
    Grilled scallops with peach salsa (fresh peaches with olive oil and herbs (mint, cilantro, basil, whatever)
    Grilled chicken with fresh pesto (basil, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic)
    Not sure if this counts as light, but you can't beat a grilled steak with a big salad

Side Dishes:
    Tomato and Watermelon Salad - with olive oil and basil and/or mint
    Cold pasta salad or cous cous with spring veg - asparagus, peas, peppers, olives
    Grilled corn on the cob
    Fresh strawberries with homemade whipped cream (simply whip heavy cream and add sugar to taste)
  • dontwishforit_workforit
    Options
    Lately it has been too warm for me to want to grill, and I hate to clean the little George Foreman griller we have in the kitchen, so...

When I want "roasted" peppers and onions, I slice them up, spray muffin tin with cooking spray, and bake them in oven for 20 mins! Sometimes I marinate them ahead of time. Muffin tins also allow me to do individual servings, as I am the only one in my family who likes peppers and onions together, some like onions, some like mushrooms. Allows me to cook them all in one pan without worrying about blending of flavors, and cleaning inbetween! I recently learned that you can do tinfoil packets [have only tried with tilapia thus far]. Sorry for the derail, but light summer meals also equate easy clean-up to me :)

My friend made a cold noodle salad one time that was delicious.. I will have to get the recipe from her. Favorites in our family are italian-marinated diced chicken breast and baked asparagus (or some artichokes, mmm). I shop at Price Chopper more than Wegmans, and their meat counter had chicken fillets panko breaded. I got the garlic and parm ($2 for two fillets) but they also had an apple one I wanted to try.. Small portions, and while I pay a bit more for the convenience, it lets me try new things without having to dish out money for ingredients that I may never use again. A whole chicken breast seems too much to me now, so I think I actually prefer the fillets :)

For lunches at work lately I am bringing: Spinach topped with grilled chicken, diced avocado, a sprinkle of sunflower seeds, sliced red bell pepper (green never tastes good to me) and some peeled carrot. Dressing of your choice. Sometimes I lightly salt and pepper my avocado before putting it on the salad.
  • LouiseOverbeck
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! They all sound amazing!! Can't wait to try some of them.